Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF is going on this year? Isnt this like the third or fourth "homophobic slur" thats been raised in the media this season?

How hard is it to tell blokes "You're an AFL player now, so everything you say and do is scrutinized. Dont say racist, sexist or homophobic sh*t!"

4th incident this year

Clarkson (fine, suspended sentence)
Finlayson (3 matches
Powell (5 matches)

I agree with you, but clearly they do need to be told. Cause unfortunately they keep doing it and its pretty hard to screen for internalized bigotry when you draft a bloke.
Thats a very good way to put it and you’re absolutely right

It is incredibly, unbelievably stupid.

BUT it is also hurtful. Imagine you are a gay player and someone says this kind of awful comment to you... it's going to cut you to your core. (I say this as someone who felt the same way about the racist slurs which still cause ongoing hurt and trauma to Nicky Winmar).

No one expects a footballer to be a genius. But they should be a decent person and not say vicious stuff about another person's core identity as a human being.

JUST STOP IT!

There was a moment in the dying minutes of the 4th quarter where he gives away a 50m penalty, I wonder if it was because he made the homophobic comment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF is going on this year? Isnt this like the third or fourth "homophobic slur" thats been raised in the media this season?

How hard is it to tell blokes "You're an AFL player now, so everything you say and do is scrutinized. Dont say racist, sexist or homophobic sh*t!"
It's always been a problem. Footballers didn't start saying slurs this year.

It's just finally someone had the balls to report it. Or the AFL finally had the balls to not cover it up.

Intrigued how the AFL views multiple cases of slurs, and if they treat it the same as multiple cases of careless/intentional conduct on field as opposed to grading it wholistically.

Stupidity is like herpes. Once you have it, it's with you for life.
I don't agree, I've seen people grow and change.

But St Kilda need to get on top of this quick smart and force Collard to change. Between this and the whispers that caused Schoenmaker to slide in the draft, there's a lot of risk to culture and reputation at stake.

You are a highly paid athlete and at the workplace you are subject to workplace laws and standards of behaviour.

Looks like dumb footballers are about to learn this the hard way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back