Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree, I've seen people grow and change.

But St Kilda need to get on top of this quick smart and force Collard to change. Between this and the whispers that caused Schoenmaker to slide in the draft, there's a lot of risk to culture and reputation at stake.

Strange how culture always seems to go downhill once Ross Lyon joins a club 🤔

Just putting homophobic slurs aside for one moment, there is way too much "mouthing off" in football in general. I don't know if it's a substitute for less physical aggression in the game, but I observe some players whose mouths are going non-stop.

It would only take a slip up for some of these guys to say something stupid and come out with a homophobic slur. This running up to opponents and getting in their face after they've made a mistake just makes my blood boil, and I'd like to see the AFL instruct clubs to put a stop to it.

Maybe that could help in eradicating stupid homophobic slurs. At least it's a start.

Players have to realise that footy is a workplace, and it's the same rules as if in an office or shop floor. As distasteful as it might be, if a bloke can't keep his mouth shut in the context of wanting to give someone a serve, just probably call someone a f-head or f-wit. Swearing probably can't be cited or deemed phobic to anyone, and I guess the AFL tacitly may agree given that Hardwick dropped the F-bomb in his interview last week.

Is it suitable to consider an indigenous person (such as Collard) a bogan? I've never considered this. I always thought it referred to a particular white culture.
I feel like class transcends race. After all, rich non-white people can be as snobby as any rich white person. So why not at the other end of the class spectrum too?

Is it suitable to consider an indigenous person (such as Collard) a bogan? I've never considered this. I always thought it referred to a particular white culture.

Surely bogan is a way of life choice (or for many, inheritted). Dont think it needs to be race specific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like the AFL will want to make an example here to the community/grassroots level with a lengthy suspension impacting his AFL career.

If he has said it that frequently in one game (which is an insane amount) there's a significant education issue here that needs to be addressed, but it also needs to be eradicated from the game.

Collard and Shoemakers in one draft hey? Saints did their homework.

There's no excuse. When you hear dinosaurs having a whinge about all the woke rounds on the AFL calendar, things like this would strengthen their argument... FFS St Kilda was playing in Pride Round last week. It's the modern day equivalent of clubs doing the sponsorship with the TAC because their players would keep getting caught blowing four times the limit.

Throw the book at him. See you sometime next year and that's your first and last warning.

I feel like the AFL will want to make an example here to the community/grassroots level with a lengthy suspension impacting his AFL career.

If he has said it that frequently in one game (which is an insane amount) there's a significant education issue here that needs to be addressed, but it also needs to be eradicated from the game.

Collard and Shoemakers in one draft hey? Saints did their homework.

Yeah glass houses and all that.

Sure, I never saw bogans as only being white. Many aboriginal people (most in the cities have a lot of white blood anyway) could be what society labels a bogan.

Have no idea who he is, but yeah hope he learns from it.

I think it's not so much it's increasing but they're cracking down on it more.

I imagine if they had these rules back in the 90s (for racism, homophobia etc) tons of players would be getting fined and suspended.

Yep follow Geelongs iron rule on these things.
🤦‍♂️
Isnt the iron rule in these things

No name draftee- 10-12 week suspension plus a lecture about how the club wont stand for it
best 22 player but not star- 4 week suspension plus scripted apology
Star- no suspension plus scripted apology

Rinse and repeat

Sure, I never saw bogans as only being white. Many aboriginal people (most in the cities have a lot of white blood anyway) could be what society labels a bogan.
Not that the discussion on bogans is really relevant -

Bogan is a very broad socio-class indicator used to identify the Aussie equivalent of ‘poor white trash’.

These are people that may have had/have opportunity but make ‘bad’ decisions socially and monetarily - leaving them open to ridicule. There is an implication they could do better.

The poor Indigenous peoples would be better labelled as ‘the dis-enfranchised’ - they have been denied opportunity on the basis of race, colour, socio-economic standing, education and blind prejudice for over two centuries. Their standing is not immediately down to money and choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Lance Collard facing lengthy suspenion for homophobic slurs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back