Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Harbaugh Wants Raiders HC job

Take San Francisco....Martz (OC) has full control on offense, not Nolan (HC). Nolan just runs the defense. Martz and Nolan would consult, but it's Martz' call, Martz' ball. Where's the cries of "meddling" and "dysfunctional" organization in that set up??

Not sure if you've ever heard me or read anything I've written on the subject, but the 49ers ownership has botched this thing up so badly, I am numb to what happens on the field. The slop we see on the field is front and center every Sunday because of the moronic decisions the Yorks have made. They don't meddle. They simply make asinine decisions that don't make any sense and they don't provide leadership or direction to a franchise that is aching for it.

Just to add a few more things....

The Niners owe their 5 superbowls to Davis in a way. He pushed and convinced the Niners owner to hire Walsh, took him aside and pushed him to spend double, even triple, whatever the expense, to hire Walsh---"it might cost you $500k now but it will make you tens of millions".

Davis has pretty much given an apprenticeship to many NFL coaches and greats, who've all been given a chance by Davis, given jobs, wet their feet, and moved on to great success. Davis' Raiders is his team, but he always brings in people, lets them glean from him, he gleans from them, and they move on to bigger better things in their own teams, making their own names in other teams.

What Davis has done to break the race and sex barriers in the NFL. How he broke ground and in his legal battles with the NFL itself gave freedom for other owners to relocate tho many of those owners backstabbed him and fought with the NFL, etc. How he has been pushing the whole ex-player retirement fund for years. Etc.

His bad final footballing years do not stain all the things he has done for football. Right now, Davis is still a grand old man. Just cos a football team sucks on the field during some mayhem and dysfunction doesnt take away from Davis the man. Which is what a lot of media and fans tend to do---just savage the man, disrespecting him, wishing him death, laughing at his age or nappies etc. I mean, geez, that's pretty low. I never do that towards any of the old legends of the game from whatever team they're from or what capacity they were (owners, gms, coaches, players). Not those with that certain charm and spunk about them.
BigFooty - Reply to Topic

I don't remember Davis influencing Eddie DeBartolo's decision to hire Walsh, but don't doubt the possibility that young Eddie, (33 in 1979 when Walsh was hired) would have sought counsel with Al Davis. If he had something to say, you'd be a moron not to listen.

Nobody is silly enough to discount all that Al Davis has meant to the NFL. He is a legend. However, the decisions he has made, ethically right or wrong, in the recent past have damaged the credibility of the organization and the performance on the field.

As a 49ers fan, I have seen the best franchise in the NFL become the worst. The single biggest reason that has happened is because of the owners. In 2000, when the league made Eddie turn the team over to his sister, the 49ers had winning records in 17 of the previous 20 seasons, won 10 NFC West titles and 5 Super Bowls. Since that time, they have made one bad decision after another and the team is as bad as it was in the late 1970s.

At what point do you, as a Raiders fan, start looking at the present reality and the reason for that situation?

I do say that Davis is reaching and/or has reached the bad final years, like all other great coaches or owners or players reach. It's just respect tho that I have. Not pushing them into their grave. I actually think Davis still has it in him for another SB in a year or two, but that optimism aside, if we were to say the Raiders would be mediocre whilever Davis is alive, I still wont push him to his grave. Letting him gracefully retire/die in his own time in his own way, because he'll be gone forever by then. Plenty of time for a new regime to turn the Raiders around. Tho it's not desired, Im not against the idea of Davis bowing out and the Raiders being mediocre for a bunch of years. But Davis has a transition plan in place anyway, and even said recently it is possible he could retire and hand the team ownership over, not necessarily die first. Like a true ****er, he probably just craves that one last hurrah.

Anyway, it's just like Halas. Halas is Pappa Bear, THE Bears. Because the man the icon is so big and personifies the very organization, then all you can do is wait around and let them gracefully die. I think Halas stayed on for 20 years past his prime and fans were mostly respectful during those dark Bears years. Davis is the same and the classy fans will do the same. While the fake 70's and 80's bandwagoners are the ones lashing out today.

Anyway, he himself acknowledges that he needs/wants a GM, needs some people around to help out. He said he'll be hiring (or looking to hire) a well-known local (bay area) person next year as GM and wouldnt say who it was.

As for the Niners, it would be like Bill Walsh getting older and older while still HC during the 90's, and who would disrespect the man if he had a run of 5 terrible years? Who could disrespect Walsh in that hypothetical? Look what Jerry Jones did to Tom Landry. That actually is the exact kind of low-class act Im talking about.

Raiders to release DeAngelo Hall??? Ha!

Raiders could release CB Hall
November 4th, 2008 | Adam Schefter
Oakland captured the NFL’s attention when it fired Lane Kiffin and hired Tom Cable. Now it is about to do it again — in a far more stunning fashion.
The Raiders are on the verge of releasing Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday, according to multiple NFL sources.
If they do — and the team was planning on doing it Tuesday before it held off — Oakland will have paid Hall $8 million for eight games and Atlanta a second-round pick for the cornerback’s services.
Oakland is planning to waive him now so as to avoid paying Hall the $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract. It is too much of a risk for a Raiders team that still needs to do more rebuilding.
If Oakland follows through, Hall would be placed on waivers, leaving playoff contenders with the question of whether they should put in a claim for him. If Hall goes unclaimed, he would be free to sign with any team.
Last off-season, when the Falcons shopped Hall, the teams most interested in the cornerback were the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Washington Redskins. The New England Patriots also have been in search of cornerback help.
Any one of those teams could put in a waiver claim for Hall, but it would be obligated to pick up his contract. If no one claims Hall, he could sign with the team of his choosing.
But this much is known: Hall’s time in Oakland has been brief and looks to be coming to a close. The curtain could drop Wednesday, if not Tuesday night.

Re: Raiders to release DeAngelo Hall??? Ha!

i think that Kiffin wanted to trade Russell for hall, but we got him for a 2nd round pick..
why i think this? i can clarify more in premium, since i can't really say due to content.

I think this is off-field related.
There's been a few former atlanta players pushing for vick to be signed, hall leading that charge. hall also hung out with a bunch of falcons players. there's also the RFnet confirmed story that Brooks hung out with two players who broke curfew the night before the ravens game. there's big changes afoot. Al has already mentioned he's hiring a GM next season. Also this...

Jim Harbaugh likely next Raiders coach

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/04/hall-the-first-step-of-a-silver-and-black-purge/

HALL THE FIRST STEP OF A SILVER AND BLACK PURGE?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2008, 8:46 p.m.

In the wake of the news that the Raiders soon will release cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a league source tells us that as many as 15 other current members of the team could be gone before next year.

The source believes that the purge will include receiver Javon Walker and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

As to Hall, we’re told that the reasons given for the move include a desire to devote the money that Hall would receive over the next year ($16.5 million) to inking cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term deal, and to sign other players.

Also, don’t be shocked if someone makes a waivers claim on Hall. We’re told that interested teams include the Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams, and Saints. Several teams have the money to pay Hall — and getting him for $16 million in guaranteed money could be regarded as a bargain.

Hall is decent... not great or ProBowl but 16 mill isn't implausible...

If anything he was made to look 20 times worse with Asomugha on the other side and not being targeted at all :p

PERFECT PLAYER FOR THE TEXANS
biggest weakness is CB and if we can get d.Hall that suddenly becomes a strength with dunta and deangelo
PLEASE RICK SMITH SIGN HIM:p

ESPN said:
Sources: Raiders look at releasing CB Hall, WR Walker as soon as Wednesday - Per ESPN

Angered by the Oakland Raiders' 2-6 start, team owner Al Davis asked his front office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall, according to multiple sources.

The Raiders are expected to release Hall on Wednesday, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The process started on Monday, a day after the Raiders' embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The Raiders' front-office staff studied the cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. He also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

The team was planning on making the move to release Hall on Tuesday before holding off, according to NFL.com. The Raiders have paid Hall $8 million for eight games, and also gave Atlanta a second-round pick for his services.

NFL.com reported the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract.

Hall has 48 tackles and three interceptions for the Raiders, including a season-high eight tackles last week against the Falcons.

Hall isn't the only Raider under consideration for release. Wide receiver Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year, but he has only 13 catches in his first seven games with the Raiders. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

At his Monday press conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched wide receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff. If Davis gets his way, some changes might be permanent.

Most teams are weak at CB and Hall would be a perfect fit almost anyway.
Like to see him at the Rams so we can actually have a chance against the pass happy NFC West teams :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crazy news, al davis is goign to purge heaps of other players like tommy kelly, javon soon/after the season. al davis = insane in the membrane

anyways a por bowl players, prob overrated, but still a solid player
imo i really hope the dolphins sign him we need a good 1/2 cb and him and will allen in the secondary would really boost our past d. weve got a lot of cap space for his big contract, and u never know - parcells has signed a big problem child before = T.O

Most teams are weak at CB and Hall would be a perfect fit almost anyway.
Like to see him at the Rams so we can actually have a chance against the pass happy NFC West teams :D

crazy news, al davis is goign to purge heaps of other players like tommy kelly, javon soon/after the season. al davis = insane in the membrane

anyways a por bowl players, prob overrated, but still a solid player
imo i really hope the dolphins sign him we need a good 1/2 cb and him and will allen in the secondary would really boost our past d. weve got a lot of cap space for his big contract, and u never know - parcells has signed a big problem child before = T.O

Your team is better off without DeAngelo Hall, believe me. He is a cancer and can't even cover people.

It may seem like a good idea but it's not. He is athletic and quick and that's about all he is.

What a shambles this team is at the moment. Al Davis has nobody to blame for this bar himself, they will be rooted even worse once Asomugha leaves.

al has already mentioned he's hiring a gm next season.

Hands OFF Larry David :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ZDubYF?slug=ap-raiders-hall&prov=ap&type=lgns

Zarko, now that it's official, any comments?

I ahve a feeling its got something to do with finding the money to re-sign Asomugha and something to do with locker room chemistry, and perhaps something to do with Davis - who knows????

Its got to be said the Hall was having a terrible season at the Raiders though. The game against Denver was probably the low light, where he got spanked big time by rookie Eddie Royal.

Hall has a big mouth and I'm sure that's got something to do with it.

He's been playing like a spud but to cut him now you'd have to think there's more to it.

The Aaron Brooks story is probably true given he's Vick's cousin and Hall is a good friend, but even that I doubt would have tipped them over the edge. Maybe it was a number of like episodes, but I'd have my money on Hall calling out coaches/team-mates in the locker-room. It's never his fault.

Oh, and what's a Deaneglo Fall thread without this gif?

colombo-vs-d-hall.gif

:)

Got alot of pleasure watching Matt Ryan (a real quarterback) torch D-Hall for a pair of touchdowns last weekend.

Lost respect for Hall after last years game against Carolina , where he gave up almost the entire length of the field in penalties on 1 drive (2 personal fouls and a pass interference) . Undisciplined player who believes his own hype too much. Our 5-3 record this year shows how much we've missed him.

Good luck to whoever picks him up. Imagine Hall and T.O on the same team

See, DeAngelo actually was a good CB for a while a couple of years ago. He was never great but he was developing into one of the better corners in the league then he and Deion Sanders struck up this pretty good "friendship" at Falcons training camp one year and it all went downhill from there.

DeAngelo was always cocky but it was taken to a new level once he and Deion became buddies. I'd love to know what sorta ideas he was filling the guy's head with. No doubt it would have been, "you gots ta get paid homie" "you too good for this team" sorta crap. Deion can blow me as well. I dunno what he's got against the Falcons but he hates us. Listen to him calling Falcons highlights and the man has pretty much NOTHING good to say about the team ever.

It's weird considering when he left the Falcons he pretty much just hung us out to dry to get a max. contract. We didn't want him to leave but he walked and now he spends most of his time bad mouthing us :confused:

The Washington Redskins have reached a one-year contract agreement with free-agent cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

No surprises the Skins would be the team to sign him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back