Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Raiders to release DeAngelo Hall??? Ha!

Hall has been awful this season. Teams don't throw to Asomugha's side because he's so good. Hall got ripped up by WRs this year.
Another case of Raiders going out and spending too much money on a non impact player.

Former Raider OC on J.Russell (back in 07)

Marc Trestman is the one who wrote this, so you can take it for what its worth..........

J.Russell right now does not posses the check down as reported in (A) he needs to get the "touch pass" down.*
J.Russell doesn't seem like a quick decision maker (B). Takes unnecessary sacks at times.*
J.Russell CAN'T feel pressure(C;1)
J.Russell at times needs to pull the ball down and just run, another problem(C;3)

All of these except (C;1), can be taught by a good teacher who knows qb's. I think with more time/experience/knowing/feeling, Russell will start to feel more comfortable in the pocket and knows he doesn't have much time to deliver the ball.*

Again, these are comments from M.Trestman, he made these comments the year that Russell was drafted,(2007).*

In evaluating a QB I believe there are 4 MUSTS that give the QB a chance to play successfully at the highest level:

A) The NFL QB MUST have a complete assortment (inventory) of passes that enable an offense to pressure the opposing defense to defend the entire field vertically deep down the middle and horizontally from sideline to sideline. This means he must drop in the deep ball from long range, throw the 20 yard comeback from the opposite hash, fire the ball over the middle in tight spaces, and take some “juice” off the check down or screen pass so his receivers are able to make the catch at close range.

B) The NFL QB MUST make quick and spontaneous decisions amidst the chaos of a pass rush, complex coverage, and incredible speed of the game on a play by play basis. There is an instinctive prerequisite here, but also unique neurological development that enables the QB to diagnose coverage and make a split second decision that runs from his eyes (for location) to feet (for throwing position) back up the body to the arm where the brain measures the velocity necessary, depth perception, and location. This is the definition of a “quick decision maker”.

C) The NFL QB MUST be “MOBILE”. There are 3 important types of mobility necessary to effectively play the position in the NFL:

1) The mobility to inherently feel pressure while looking up the field. To be “nifty” enough to calmly slide to the right or left, or “climb” to find what I call the “quiet area” of the pocket, then to step and deliver with a complete throwing motion.

2) The mobility that if “flushed” from the pocket by pressure, that he can accurately deliver the ball on the run at a reasonable distance without having to stop, set, and throw.

3) The mobility to run and gain yards beyond the line of scrimmage is not necessarily a prerequisite like 1) and 2), but once the QB has exhausted his progressions in the pocket or has been flushed out early, there is nothing more demoralizing to the defense and their coordinator than with viable receivers covered, or a free rusher in his face to have the QB escape for positive yardage and/or a first down.

NOTE: What you don’t want to see is a QB who leaves the pocket before he has exhausted his progressions and viable receivers. This will lead to a complete breakdown of the best coached passing offenses.

4) The NFL QB MUST be able to take defenseless shots from the opposition and have the physical and mental toughness to get back on his feet, get in the huddle, call the next play, and go to the line and execute it at the highest level. All within 40 seconds or less!

And I found this comment spot on as well...

When are people going to realize that Jamarcus must save himself. Lose 20-25 pounds, study the damn playbook and watch film like hell. This is the NFL. You cant just show up and think your going to win.*

I said I liked Jamarcus coming into the draft. Him, Culpepper, Vince Young, Ryan Leaf and Mike Vick are the most gifted qbs (well maybe not Young) to come in to the league since Elway. You could probaly add Palmer also. The difference? Palmer prepared better and is the one true qb of that group. VY and Vick relied on their gifts alone and now both are finished. Ryan Leaf was mentally weak. Culpepper was like I was saying about Russell. He had everything Line, running game, great wrs. That is the only reason he succeeded. They could cover for his faults. Thats why Jamarcus will have trouble here. He needs great players to make him look good. Instead of making the players around him better. JRock has to look himself in the mirror and realize he must spend more time in the film room.

On all Raider fan sites, you'll see most people defend Russell's weight. But the truth is people like Theismann and more importantly Parcells have savaged Russell directly/indirectly about his weight. More in saying that a QB per se must not be overweight, how important it is to be in good shape for a lot of those reasons that Trestman outlines above.

Re: Former Raider OC on J.Russell (back in 07)

So we can blame Trestman just as much as anyone for JMar's development.. Good to know...

Shitty coaches haven't helped at all...

Couldn't this just go in the 'Worst Organisation in Sports' thread?

Zarko...

How is Trestman responsible? He was here during the Callihan tenure and is now a successful Gray Cup HC with a potent offense.

Anyway, this is about J Russell himself. Nothing wrong with starting a thread about a particular player. How many threads have been started about individual players from other teams for whatever reason.

The potential horror of the pick 1 QB BUST! :(

We dont develop QBs is another thing. Which I kinda agree with anyway. QBs are such a vital cog in a team that more important than anything is having one that isnt a liability, that understands the NFL, has vet years already in systems and knows how to read coverages, break down film and defenses, etc etc.

You dont need Elways and Marinos and Favres to win SBs. Elway won two purely from salary cap breaches. Marino (who i adore) never won one. And Favre has only won one. Meanwhile you could probably count in the tens of SBs won by just good solid QBs.

We dont develop QBs is another thing. Which I kinda agree with anyway. QBs are such a vital cog in a team that more important than anything is having one that isnt a liability, that understands the NFL, has vet years already in systems and knows how to read coverages, break down film and defenses, etc etc.

You dont need Elways and Marinos and Favres to win SBs. Elway won two purely from salary cap breaches. Marino (who i adore) never won one. And Favre has only won one. Meanwhile you could probably count in the tens of SBs won by just good solid QBs.
Applies to current teams and QBs as well... Peyton just won one in a stint where he dominated... Brady last year (Where he was actually a great QB, not just servicable and solid like previous years) and it goes on and on...

Simms :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The potential horror of the pick 1 QB BUST! :(

Reading this doesn't help...

As for Jamarcus being a student of the game at this point according to Coach Cable he is not. A quote from Cable...."Jamarcus needs to become a study of the game. There is a problem when practice is over at 3-4pm and the QB goes home. The great ones will stay after, study film on the upcoming opponent, work with his WR, help game plan, work on his game for a few more hours at least. Jamarcus need to be more serious about his job."

This was said at a function when Cable just got the HC job.

A person I know, and respect, has lost about 60kg in the last 12 months. When I asked him why he'd gone down that path his simple answer was "If you can't control your own body, how can you be trusted, by others, to run a company"

I know its a stretch to make the link to Jamarcus and the QB position, but the parallel is there. If your team mates have no respect, or believes you aren't in control of your own life, how can you be trusted to run your team - basically, you're doomed.

A person I know, and respect, has lost about 60kg in the last 12 months. When I asked him why he'd gone down that path his simple answer was "If you can't control your own body, how can you be trusted, by others, to run a company"

I know its a stretch to make the link to Jamarcus and the QB position, but the parallel is there. If your team mates have no respect, or believes you aren't in control of your own life, how can you be trusted to run your team - basically, you're doomed.

It isnt a stretch at all. Im totally on the same page with you and the person you know. The other practical aspect to it is also how it relates to his ability as a QB to move around, be fit, have good passing mechanics and footwork, and how much damage it will do to his knees and ankles.

The problem is that being a #1 overall, and spending $45m on him, he'll be entrenched as starter for another 3 years before the club is willing to write him off as a bust. Unless Davis can somehow recoup a draft pick + player by trading him, while Russell still has some value, to a team that may do better at developing him and is in need of a QB.

Sure, another year from now Russell may prove me and everyone wrong. Great if that happens. But i dont think it will happen.

Amazing Stats....

Just a bit of love for my current fave player.........

Nnamdi Asomugha...

Week 1: 1 catch for 6 yards by Eddie Royal
Week 2: 0 catches for 0 yards
Week 3: 1 catch for 7 yards by Lee Evans (Nnamdi forced a fumble recovered by Oakland)
Week 4: 0 catches (played in passing downs only due to broken elbow)
Week 5: Bye
Week 6: 1 catch for a 1 yard loss to Mike Karney
Week 7: 1 catch for 0 yards by Jerricho Cotchery
Week 8: 0 catches for 0 yards
Week 9: 0 catches for 0 yards
Week 10: 0 catches for 0 yards, 1 INT while covering Steve Smith
Week 11: 0 catches for 0 yards
Week 12: 0 catches for 0 yards

Targeted 12 Times, 4 rec, 6 PDef, 1 INT, 1 FF

And probably won't make the Pro-Bowl. Wonder what sort of stats he would have if he was targeted more often?

Is this the definition of a SHUTDOWN CB? Just see the love Shanarat gave him this week.....

Re: Amazing Stats....

Just a bit of love for my current fave player.........

Nnamdi Asomugha...

And probably won't make the Pro-Bowl. Wonder what sort of stats he would have if he was targeted more often?

Is this the definition of a SHUTDOWN CB? Just see the love Shanarat gave him this week.....

PRO-BOWL bound for SURE!! AFC need to redeem themselves.

Just watched Jay Cutler in his presser and he reckons that he is the best corner in the game, and that he 'cuts the field in half'.

SIGN HIM LONGTERM AL FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!

Shanahan before the game:

"He is the most underrated football player, to me, that I have ever been around," Shanahan said. "For people not to talk about him as the top corner in the NFL, along with Champ Bailey, to me, is a crime."

Shanahan was just getting warmed up.

"The people that throw at him usually get beat," Shanahan said. "He’s not going to be challenged but he plays 100 percent on every play. He plays the run, he plays the pass, the guy is a competitor. He’s the most underrated top player in the game — I can’t say the history of the game because I haven’t been around here that long — but I can say in my 25 years, he is by far the most underrated player.

"I’ve never met him but I’m going to shake his hand after the game because I keep on looking for him but I never get a chance to talk to him. He’s one of my favorite players, even though he is with the Raiders. That shows you how much I like him."

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/11796417

What's the word on Nnamdi staying in Oakland??

Does he want out or is he gonna re-sign?

Either way he can be franchised after this season I'm pretty sure, meaning someone's gonna have to pony up some major draft picks to get him across to their team.

Not sure. I hope that by cutting Meangelo that money can be spent locking him up longterm. But who could really blame him for wanting to leave. No doubt if they can not sign him to a deal he will be franchised.

Randy Moss must not of been able to stand practice during the week. His confidence must of been cut to shreads. No wonder he wanted out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back