Legitimate Hawthorn Umpiring Statistics

Remove this Banner Ad

RPNT

Rookie
Dec 17, 2008
Up North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread is not a whinge on the umpiring from yesterday's game, even though I believe the 18-6 free kick count to Geelong after half time considerably influenced the result of the match.

Read this Link:
http://afl.allthestats.com/statistics/diffladders.php?ty=3&yrfm=2008&yrto=2010&ty=3

Hawthorn are BY FAR THE MOST DISADVANTAGED TEAM IN TERMS OF UMPIRING FREE KICK COUNTS in the last two seasons.

What is most alarming about these stats (from Rnd 1, 2008 to now) is that we have won a premiership. Winning a premiership in 2008 suggests that we were, on more occasions than not, first to the ball.

How do we keep losing the free kick counts?

Is it a problem in how we are being coached?
Are we employing illegal tactics around the stoppages?

Or, put simply, are we being over umpired because of the "unsociable football" crap?

There were some decisions yesterday against Hawthorn in the 2nd half (and non-decisions that don't impact the free kick tally) that quite simply defied belief.

Wink Wink...

have a look at the players/teams who get the frees and those that dont.

The umpires association and that may say there is nothing untoward, however, the players who constantly get accused of being dirty get very little going for them, meanwhile the players who are meant to have the sun shine out of their ass get a very good run with the men in purple/yellow/red/green/silver/pink

Interesting stats. To a degree in those years we have chosen to give away some frees, such as downfield frees, that haven't cost us anything but have put some doubt in the mind of the opposition players.

What I would like to see is the same stats minus L Franklin. I don't ever recall seeing a player get hammered so much by the umps. It was all too stark yesterday with Ablett v Franklin. I would absolutely guarantee you that if it had been Ablett in the forward pocket in the last quarter and not Franklin the umpires interpretation would have been different.

While there were some disappointing decisions yesterday lets not get too paranoid. The hawks play a style of game that lends itself to giving away free kicks - the tactics used also bought us a premiership. The downside to that is that umpires now look at the hawks players maybe a little closer than they do other clubs.

Buddy misses out on a LOT of free kicks but he also gives away a lot of stupid, preventable free kicks. He could start by playing in front and he then wouldn't automatically put his hands in the back of the player defending him.

This thread is not a whinge on the umpiring from yesterday's game, even though I believe the 18-6 free kick count to Geelong after half time considerably influenced the result of the match.

Hawthorn are BY FAR THE MOST DISADVANTAGED TEAM IN TERMS OF UMPIRING FREE KICK COUNTS in the last two seasons.

What is most alarming about these stats (from Rnd 1, 2008 to now) is that we have won a premiership. Winning a premiership in 2008 suggests that we were, on more occasions than not, first to the ball.

Is it a problem in how we are being coached?
Are we employing illegal tactics around the stoppages?

Or, put simply, are we being over umpired because of the "unsociable football" crap?

There were some decisions yesterday against Hawthorn in the 2nd half (and non-decisions that don't impact the free kick tally) that quite simply defied belief.

Wink Wink...
It is a bit of a coincidence that we started getting pinged again after Buckley came up with the “unsociable football” tag and the HFC has tried, without success to get rid of this rubbish.
People who didn’t see it will say “another conspiracy theory” but I’ll say it again the media did the same thing with the ‘Kennedys Commandos’ tag.
The “Kennedys Commandos’ tag was given in the first instance because of the way we trained, but the media took it and spun it (like they do) to make it sound like we played like a bunch of “commandos” bashing everybody and of course this gave the umpires a preconceived idea of how Hawthorn played before they had even bounced the ball.

The media are more at fault for most of the shortcomings in our game then the ‘head in the sand, only worry about the bottom line AFL’.

Some umpiring decisions yesterday had me in disbelief. 3 Incidents that I believe played a major part in the outcome:

1. When Gary Ablett took on the tackler, got tackled, ball spills out and 'play on' called. This happened on at least 2 occasions - if I recall correctly one of these happened on our goal square.

2. The push in the back paid against Shoenmakers late in the 3rd which resulted in a Cats goal.

3. The holding the ball decision paid against Buddy late in the 4th in the Forward Pocket made no sense.

I don't give a crap.....

the 'rub of the green' did not occur our way yesterday, how the umpires let Geepong players get away with being swung around, dropping the ball etc is beyond me..it occured countless times yesterday including just handing over the ball to your own player without handballing or kicking the ****en thing..:mad:

and don't get me started on Steve 'Cry Baby' Johnson, what an absolute blouse that prick is :thumbsdown:

I don't give a crap.....

the 'rub of the green' did not occur our way yesterday, how the umpires let Geepong players get away with being swung around, dropping the ball etc is beyond me..it occured countless times yesterday including just handing over the ball to your own player without handballing or kicking the ****en thing..:mad:

and don't get me started on Steve 'Cry Baby' Johnson, what an absolute blouse that prick is :thumbsdown:

Next time Kip tell us what you really think;)

And Geepong must earn their frees:thumbsu:

Was at the game and I felt sorry for the people sitting in front of me.

Kept shouting at the umpire "maggots".... nearly every 3 minutes. Geeze the umpires were disgraceful.

For years I've always said they are a waste of space. All my mates now agree.

It's not how many you get, it's where you get them. It has always annoyed me that some opposition forwards get a lot more free kicks than Buddy and Roughy.

AH,
It wouldn't have to be many, to get more than Buddy & Roughie!!
And whilst on free kicks, at least Taylor can't be blamed for giving away so many this year!!
He was so maligned last year, what I would give to have him out there, helping Renouf!!:footy::footy::footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Kip, it was a beautiful Karma when Goo put the arms around him and Stevie J was left to face plant into the dirt, didn't you think?

All those imaginary bumps where he dives forward or to the side and this time Goo actually made sure he bit the dust.

The follow up by Mitchell was Vote worthy, I thought.

Back to the stats...

If you adjust them to cover 2005 -2010 it gets no better.
Very surprising stat, but we're clearly the Richmond football club of receiving free kicks.

Hey Kip, it was a beautiful Karma when Goo put the arms around him and Stevie J was left to face plant into the dirt, didn't you think?

All those imaginary bumps where he dives forward or to the side and this time Goo actually made sure he bit the dust.

The follow up by Mitchell was Vote worthy, I thought.

LOL, I forgot about the face plant and Mitchs bump.....classic stuff :D

GALON, that has made my day :thumbsu: :p

Not blaming the umps but just once, only once, i would like to get the 'rub of the green' against The Cats.
Just never happens.:thumbsdown:
This is the big problam Merv,you wouldnt mind getting a bad go with the umps if from time to time you got a good go , but we just never get that good go, we are always on the receiving end, when our players are infringed its play on, when was the last time we got a really lucky free or even a 50/50 free, it just does not happen, I think its time for Clarko or Jeff to speak out big time in public and start embarrassing some of these umpires, stiff shit if they get a fine from the Gestapo, the bell now tolls for the umpiring dept.

This is the big problam Merv,you wouldnt mind getting a bad go with the umps if from time to time you got a good go , but we just never get that good go, we are always on the receiving end, when our players are infringed its play on, when was the last time we got a really lucky free or even a 50/50 free, it just does not happen, I think its time for Clarko or Jeff to speak out big time in public and start embarrassing some of these umpires, stiff shit if they get a fine from the Gestapo, the bell now tolls for the umpiring dept.

Its not the fine that worries me, it would be the notion of us being whingers.
We already have that reputation.

Thats why I mentioned 'rub of the green'.
Finey on Sen last night started his show with a rant about not wanting hawk supporters ringing up complaining about the umps, instead to ring and talk about how well we played and how good we might be looking etc.

But when he said "sure, you didnt get the rub of the green" i was furious.
We never get it, and particularly, never against Geelong.

When they get gifted 2 goals from frees and we dont get paid obvious ones on the goal line you can't blame Hawk's for getting angry, particularly when objective supporters are stating "you didnt get the rub of the green":mad::mad:

Not blaming the umps but just once, only once, i would like to get the 'rub of the green' against The Cats.
Just never happens.:thumbsdown:

Would love this to happen and for Buddy to be treated like Riewoldt, even for one game. Astonishes me how Buddy can be man handled, tackled without the ball, pushed around and illegally held yet nothing happens but Riewoldt gets a slight tap and it's a free kick.

Does Riewoldt throw his arms in the air and almost plead for the free kicks, no. He gets them because IMO he doesn't plead for them.

Buddy (sadly) gets a bad run but doesn't help himself as he also plays for them. Needs to let the umps worry about the free kicks and just play the game. Crikey he's good enough that he doesn't need the free's.

I was filthy on the umpiring.

Annoyed a few Cats fans nearby.

Gave me beyond blue wristband to this stupid Cats fan after the game "just to remind you that you didn't win in 2008"

She wasn't happy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Legitimate Hawthorn Umpiring Statistics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back