Leigh Brown - be fair!

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Brown was good on the "Leigh Brown" scale, but not too good on the "normal AFL player" scale.

Dawes should be playing ahead of him if he's only going to be used as a forward. Even Bryan would probably offer more.

Seems like a good bloke, but for his age and experinece he shouldnt be having input in games like he does. I dont mind him for depth , we shouldnt be keeping dawes out though for Brown. Especially with clokey and rocca out , this should be dawes time to develop.

The selectors must see something that I don't and to be fair that is their job, maybe its a team balance thing, I'm not sure.
IMO he is not up to AFL standard. I watch him fairly closely and he doesn't even use his body size to our advantage. His ruck work is below standard, his kicking in only average and he is not a great contested mark.

Maybe Dawes has not come on as quickly as was expected.

IMO Cook is much the same.

Leigh Brown was good on the "Leigh Brown" scale, but not too good on the "normal AFL player" scale.

Dawes should be playing ahead of him if he's only going to be used as a forward. Even Bryan would probably offer more.
That's my main problem. Yeah, play him if/when we get an outbreak of swine flu, but right now, even from a 'foil' point of view, he is at the bottom of my list.

I get that we needed a big man to help out Jack, but we've got 2 kicking goals in the VFL. One is a kid who may not make it but has potential.

And we've already seen Brown get in the way of the development of Wood.

What is concerning is that Malthouse takes a full season to nut out what us objective fans have seen from Round 1! Then he wins some games. Then he gets an extension. Then he repeats the same stupidity.

Maybe Dawes has not come on as quickly as was expected.
Dawes has consistently been picking up 15-20 possessions, 10+ marks and a goal or two in the VFL most weeks - Brown made sense when he was required to spend time in the ruck, but if he's going to be a permanent forward, Dawes deserves the chance.

Brown wasn't picked up to win the Collingwood Football Club games of AFL football off his own back. He was picked up as a contingency for Presti, Brown or one of the other younger KPP down back who might be injured and he would step in and play a role down back.

He wasn't picked up as a ruckman, a CHF or a FF. He gives an honest contest and that's what you expect of a player such as Leigh Brown. He has worked hard in each of the last three weeks in roles he is just not suppost to be playing.

Had Wood have played the last month and Brown just played as that bullocking hard working strong bodied forward who creates a path for Jack, Leon, or another forward, I wonder if some of the critisism would still have occurred.

The reality is that Collingwoods injury list is long and big bodies are included in that list. Dont play kids for the sake of it. If they are out of form, lacking confidence then you risk losing them forever.

Over the next few weeks as players come back into the side Brown will probably go back to the VFL. But next year with no Presti, he's probably going to be the KPP back who takes that monster at most clubs. Perhaps instead of critisizing him, encourage him in the role he's playing. We all get frustrated at losses. But injuries dictate that some players play a role for their team, whether they are capable or not. At least he has a red hot go.

Bingo.

The fact remains that he is a hack. He was only useless, as opposed to his usual detrimental performances.

Dawes or Bryan would've offered more, and that fact that we won the game does not change this selection issue.

Dawes has consistently been picking up 15-20 possessions, 10+ marks and a goal or two in the VFL most weeks - Brown made sense when he was required to spend time in the ruck, but if he's going to be a permanent forward, Dawes deserves the chance.

Well, I'll have to defer to your better knowledge, because as yet I haven't seen the VFL side play.

I think crunch time is coming for L Brown, even in a winning side his contribution was limited.
From what I saw last year Dawes certainly has a lot of raw talent and is young enough to learn his craft. Brown has all the tricks he is ever likely to learn.

Be fair to who? Leigh Brown? What about Chris Dawes?, what about Bryan?, what about Reid? Who's being fair to them, when Leigh Brown gets a game ahead of them. There is nothing anyone can say to me, to have me think Leigh Brown has done more than the others mentioned could of done in that period. Only difference is, LB got the experience, rather than players deserving it more. It is wrong, and it will always indent into my memory about Collingwood, when looking back.

Agree with OP. He actually played pretty good for a quarter and a half. Not counting his goal, his groundwork was actually decent.

But then I didn't see him for the last 2 and a half quarters AT ALL, which means yet again he didn't earn his spot :p

Isn't on the list of players I never want to see in a Collingwood jumper again - yet.

So far there's Chris Bryan, Anthony Corrie, and as of tonight, Ryan Cook.

Cook was dreadful wasn't he. he could possibly be the worst user of the football by hand in AFL history.

to the credit of leigh brown, some of his ground work was pretty good

Well yeah alot of that came after dropped marks but still he showed some skill i didnt expect him to have

In any case Leroy out for trav this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook had a team-high (along with Pendlebury) 6 clangers, but he had 3 FA which probably contributed to that. I'd say when the likes of Didak, Beams and McCarthy return he'd struggle to keep his spot.

Compared to the performances of the 7 previous games L. Brown was magnificent this week he did 3 good things (including the goal) and I would expect that in MM eyes he was BOG, no chance (barring injury) that he'll be dropped this week. God help us!!!!!

The Boggler is the master at keeping his spot. :thumbsu:

The thing about Browny is he is not cut out for AFL but can dominate at VFL level. I suspect his 1 goal the other night will be enough to secure his spot for another month or 2 but even if he gets dropped he knows how to get back :thumbsu:.

U have got to give him credit, he is very difficult to shake. :thumbsdown: Must train very well also.

I actually think its a collingwood need to try and make sure we have a dud in number 15 as well. From recent memory.... Brown.... Egan.... J.Taylor.....hassell. Can't remember who else has had that number....

Haha, this is the coming from the bloke who thought Clarke was good last week and Corrie was decent, amongst a bunch of other bullshit.

Anyone that defends Leigh Browns legitimacy for a position in the team because he 'contests', clearly has NFI about football :thumbsu:

Leigh Brown was an absolute non-entity again, as per usual, it doesn't surprise me that Malthouse isn't the only one deluded by this guy. He did manage to pull the eyes over two other clubs, even tricking one into spending a a first round draft pick on him.A masterful deceiver.

Over the course of his career, Leigh has cost clubs pick 5, pick 13 and pick 73.
Just think about that for a moment.

It's hard to notice that he is even out there as he barely wins a context. Just seems to drift around the ground.

Nothing can change the fact that he is proven to be near useless.

He must be the best bloke in the world!

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Brown - be fair!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back