Leigh Colbert GOOD news story

Remove this Banner Ad

BUCKS THANKS

Debutant
Oct 9, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
With all the negative reporting on Afl footballers and just negative journalism all round, I received a great story about Colbert in recent weeks.
Living in Geelong there were ladies Mum and Daughter who were in wheelchairs and every game the cats played in sydney Leigh would pay for their airfares and accomadation and make sure they got to the game, and still did it after he left Geelong.

The Mother passed away recently and Leigh knowing how hard they had it Leigh paid for the entire funeral.

I dont think enough of these kind of stories are made public enough and am sure there are plenty of others. Great work by Leigh!!!

Not as significant i guess but significant to one little boy is the story involving Jake King.

In the off season King was given the option of taking a lower number which he gladly accepted but then he got a letter from a little boy saying that King was his favorite player and that his parents just brought him his first Richmond jumper with his number on it. King then decided to keep his high number so that he didn't dissapoint the boy.

Why aren't stories like this reported more often? A lot of AFL players actually do a lot of good things!

Neither of these great stories is of any surprise. One of the things about sport is the quality of the people you meet.

Though I played a bit of footy, my sport was cricket. I've been involved since 1963, and I know of similar acts of selflessness which have occured in every one of those years. We are in the process of raising funds locally for a bloke who had a barbecue blow up in his face, as he was organising a fundraiser for the local angling club. Over 40 years this bloke had contributed to the local footy and cricket associations, in an administrative and playing capacity. This is typical of the people I've met in sport. I've no reason to believe that Colbert or King would be any different

This is what pisses me off about people who bag sportsmen/women. You meet so many kind, caring, interested and genuine people who also happen to be gifted athletes. Why should this be a surprise? Is it because of a certain class of people like to depict those sportsmen as boofheads? That would be wrong. Just because you play sport doesn't mean you're an ingrate.

Have also heard the same thing about Colby as well as many others. Honestly one of the nicest guys you could imagine.

In the same vein, a couple of weeks ago a guy rang SEN saying how he took his handicapped son down to the whitten oval to watch the doggies train. His son (who was in a wheelchair i believe) had number 9 on his back, and gilbee came over and introduced himself to the boy and his father and got the dad's phone number and said he would keep in contact.

The guy thought it was more of a nice gesture than anything else, but sure enough two days later gilbee rang up and took the dad, the son, one of his mates, and his mates dad out to dinner at a nice restaurant and paid for everything.

Its unfortunate that these stories are not reported, but through its anonymity it highlights the kind and thoughful nature of alot of footballers. Stories like this would occur all the time players at all clus. Its terrifc.

Some are great, some are douche-bags; We only ever seem to hear about the douche-bags, this should be front-page material. Only problem is that not enough people in our sick country care!

Some are great, some are douche-bags; We only ever seem to hear about the douche-bags, this should be front-page material. Only problem is that not enough people in our sick country care!

Too true...only thing the newspapers care about is money though, and they probs make a lot more money printing stories about players horror pasts than genuinely kind gestures by good blokes.

Ah wells.

Have to disagree mate.

Last week there was a great front page sports story about Mclean and how he donated 10k of his own money to help reduce Melbourne's debt.

Problem is with feel good stories like Colbies is that they get known after the event has happened, which means they can't make the front page.

I was in general admission (standing room) for the Kangaroos V. Brisbane Lions game at Carrara two weeks ago. I was standing behind where he was sitting for the match, he brings a plastic bag with some food and drink to have during the match, including a mars bar. He was looking around for a young kid to give it too and he gave it to this 4 of so year old girl. Very kind and lovely of him to look for kid then to have it himself. He was lovely, before the match he was talking to everyone and being very nice. Great guy.

Leigh Colbert is a quality bloke.

Was with a mate who is a huge North fan and he called Colby over before the game to ask for anautograph. Let's just say the time he took and the genuine interest he showed was all class.

I am not doubting the OP at all, but one thing is for sure, I would say that Colby would probably have preferred that no one knew about it, he seems to be that kind of guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Colbert is a quality bloke.

Was with a mate who is a huge North fan and he called Colby over before the game to ask for anautograph. Let's just say the time he took and the genuine interest he showed was all class.

I am not doubting the OP at all, but one thing is for sure, I would say that Colby would probably have preferred that no one knew about it, he seems to be that kind of guy.

I sit near the fence at the Gabba where Foxtel do most of their pre-game broadcasts, and Colberts interaction with the supporters is great.

Can't fake that kind of genuine class. Love the bloke. Rohan Smith goes alright too. Olarenshaw on the other hand.... :thumbsdown:

The good stories never make the headlines.

Not quite to the level of some of the more senior players around, but someone wrote on EFH (an eagles forum) that at a WAFL game a couple of weeks ago, Ryan Davis was there with Brad Ebert & Ash Arrowsmith. Both of the peel boys went into the rooms during half time, but neither side was Davis' team so he remained on the outer. They then said they say Davis kicking the footy with about 10 kids during the half time break, when normally AFL footballers at WAFL games sit on their mobiles during the half time break to avoid chatting to the kids.

For an 18 year old to make the day of some young kids was great :thumbsu:

With all the negative reporting on Afl footballers and just negative journalism all round, I received a great story about Colbert in recent weeks.
Living in Geelong there were ladies Mum and Daughter who were in wheelchairs and every game the cats played in sydney Leigh would pay for their airfares and accomadation and make sure they got to the game, and still did it after he left Geelong.

The Mother passed away recently and Leigh knowing how hard they had it Leigh paid for the entire funeral.

I dont think enough of these kind of stories are made public enough and am sure there are plenty of others. Great work by Leigh!!!
A true gentleman and a champion guy pity footballers of today dont have the same outlook on life instead of going around thinking they are above the law just because they kick a leather ball full of air around the park.
I remember one AFL player who assaulted he's girlfriend saying to her dont bother going to the cops because I'am a VFL Footballer and I can do anything I want. And another AFL Footballer who gave he's girlfriend a severe kicking in public

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Colbert GOOD news story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back