Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Need quality players in the 24-28 year range. Need players ti show them standards and leadership on the oval.

They ain’t giving away a top 10 pick for him.

You can’t just load up on 18-20year kids, you just go through a cycle that all those other bottom interstate teams did and the young blokes head home and it’s a continuous rebuild. Also can’t pay overs for 27yo. I personally only do it, if they trade TB.

Eagles have heaps of experienced players on the list.
They can choose the ones they want to help guide the youngsters through the rebuild whilst culling the ones they don’t.
They will need to draft hard now with Tassie on the horizon.
Can’t see trading valuable draft assets for a 27yo as wise list management whilst in heavy rebuild mode.
Richmond are in the same boat and any return on Baker helps drive their rebuild in turn …

Eagles have heaps of experienced players on the list.
They can choose the ones they want to help guide the youngsters through the rebuild whilst culling the ones they don’t.
They will need to draft hard now with Tassie on the horizon.
Can’t see trading valuable draft assets for a 27yo as wise list management whilst in heavy rebuild mode.
Richmond are in the same boat and any return on Baker helps drive their rebuild in turn …
You pull all 3 levers (FA,Trade and draft) in this day an age of list building. Problem is you really only have two levers when you are down the bottom as FA hardly go to those clubs.

Can’t hang everything on the draft as they are unknown in the big league. Cost list a lot that have missed including top 10 picks. Yes throw as many darts as possible but while also meeting current team needs.

You have an OOC player who should be with your club for 6 years that reports say it has all the qualities you want around your future. So I have no issue paying market price for that but if you are doing that you should be looking at the option to sell a 30yo contracted player for that what be considered ‘overs’.

I think IF eagles are chasing him then trade their 2nd, future 2nd and F3 out to either lions or carlton depending who finishes lower for their 1st round pick to give for Baker.
That would mean they only have #3 +#59 this year and similar next year
Eagles really have SFA to deal with unless the split this year or trade out F1

Had a look at their list and really not many assets they could trade out either without gutting the team altogether

Had a look at their list and really not many assets they could trade out either without gutting the team altogether
Mate are you living under a rock? They have something like 6 elite KPF's as mentioned by a couple of their supporters early in this thread :drunk:

They could easily trade 1 or 2 of them.

Mate are you living under a rock? They have something like 6 elite KPF's as mentioned by a couple of their supporters early in this thread :drunk:

They could easily trade 1 or 2 of them.
I was also told Bailey Williams was a good ruck / fwd
The bloke is a spud

Only real KPF they have on the list thats proven is OA and a cameo from Waterman this year

You pull all 3 levers (FA,Trade and draft) in this day an age of list building. Problem is you really only have two levers when you are down the bottom as FA hardly go to those clubs.

Can’t hang everything on the draft as they are unknown in the big league. Cost list a lot that have missed including top 10 picks. Yes throw as many darts as possible but while also meeting current team needs.

You have an OOC player who should be with your club for 6 years that reports say it has all the qualities you want around your future. So I have no issue paying market price for that but if you are doing that you should be looking at the option to sell a 30yo contracted player for that what be considered ‘overs’.

Agree, it’s rare for lowly clubs to attract quality FA’s.
Eagles hold picks 3,23,59 and surely take pick 3 to the draft.
Their 1st and 2nd round picks next year would be roughly the same.
Do they trade Baker for pick 23 leaving only pick 59 for the draft after their first pick?
In any case, pick 23 will be pushed out and Richmond may well reject that offer.
I believe Jack Graham is a FA around that age bracket if that itch has to be scratched.
Retain the senior players you choose to and hit the draft as hard as possible is about the Eagles best play atm …

Yeah I figured that. It depends if they think it's worth splitting or keeping for who is gettable at pick 3. It also depends what picks they can get by splitting pick 3. They might do it for gold coasts first rounders if they are on the table but not freos.

TB would be the one to generate the pick for Baker and get a bit extra.

Don’t think they are giving up all that draft capital for Baker. Time will tell

Do they trade Baker for pick 23 leaving only pick 59 for the draft after their first pick?
In any case, pick 23 will be pushed out and Richmond may well reject that offer.
I believe Jack Graham is a FA around that age bracket if that itch has to be scratched.
Retain the senior players you choose to and hit the draft as hard as possible is about the Eagles best play atm …
Jack Graham is average brings nothing to the Eagles and not sure why they have any interest at all. He might be the only FA they think they can get but have been linked to a couple of others who play a similar role and could come cheap.

Always bargains out there, just have to grab a few of them. Sharp, Mass, Bramble all cost next to nothing last year.

Like I said, if they go down the Baker route, I think it’s a player out to generate pick/s and one of those might be used on Baker. If he picks to leave and selects the Eagles. Let’s not forget Richmond are very keen to keep him and in a similar spot to the Eagles, because these blokes help list builds and are great players to have around. But he’s OOC and if he leaves he either wants to go home or Richmond can’t afford or don’t want to pay what the other team is offering.

They might also be able to match and NGA player that might fall in the 20-35 range, which helps. Have a few F/S and NGAs next year so see how that plays out for their form next year and what the afl choose to do with the draft rules.

A lot to play out over the next 3 months. Getting Baker for a list build isn’t the worse thing but can see why others from the outside question it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If pick #1 the deal would need to be way overs for them to split it. Smille is like a mythical beast. Makes a duo with Reid look absolutely terrifying. Eagles would trade pick #1 if baker and #2 is on the table.
Doubt Richmond would do that and would be just as happy to take FOS

They've already offered him a long term deal.....

But I agree, they shouldn't.
I know they did but things have changed in recent times with the sacking of Simpson. Basically those around the decision at West Coast felt the match committee was not going hard enough on their rebuild and playing kids to get games into them. I cant see WC making an offer Richmond would accept and I don't think he's coming to Freo so more than likely he's staying at Richmond in my opinion.

And? They can quite easily take it back off the table.
I would be surprised if West Coast didn't go harder on the rebuild with their new coach. Most WC supporters are critical of how more young players weren't being selected each week. I think WC will not only have a new coach but a new match committee next year with a focus on getting games into younger players. By the way I think we can agree the West Australian editorial is a deadset utter disgrace. Good luck to Simpson in whatever he choses to do next is my view.

Well that wouldn't be very professional would it? Fine by me though.
Is it?

Circumstances have clearly changed and a new coach shouldn't be hamstrung by list decisions made by the previous one well after they have gone.

Jack Graham was offered a contract from Port and they pulled the bin on him just last year when other options opened up.

It'd be pretty dumb of a club to give up draft capital that goes against their list philosophy because a few people might find it 'unprofessional'...

Well that wouldn't be very professional would it? Fine by me though.
Its also a ridiculous suggestion. They will have been into Baker for potentially up to 2 years feeling out his managment. You dont pull interest 5 mins after making an offer unless you are a complete basket case run by ammos, which WC are not.

I would be surprised if West Coast didn't go harder on the rebuild with their new coach. Most WC supporters are critical of how more young players weren't being selected each week. I think WC will not only have a new coach but a new match committee next year with a focus on getting games into younger players. By the way I think we can agree the West Australian editorial is a deadset utter disgrace. Good luck to Simpson in whatever he choses to do next is my view.

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

From the wording this week, the club clearly wants to prioritise the youth(properly this time...) and blowing a 2nd rounder on a bloke who won't be a part of the next flag is unlikely to cut it with the fans.

Is it?

Circumstances have clearly changed and a new coach shouldn't be hamstrung by list decisions made by the previous one well after they have gone.

Jack Graham was offered a contract from Port and they pulled the bin on him just last year when other options opened up.

It'd be pretty dumb of a club to give up draft capital that goes against their list philosophy because a few people might find it 'unprofessional'...
we dont know that as fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back