Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Either way 1 or 2. Tigers may have to be the ones to tempt them to split the pick. It'll become the biggest deal for tigers to pull off.

Baker isn’t the right player for the Eagles in full rebuild mode.
If they were to split pick 1 or 2 to accommodate a trade for him they would be insane …

Is it?

Circumstances have clearly changed and a new coach shouldn't be hamstrung by list decisions made by the previous one well after they have gone.

Jack Graham was offered a contract from Port and they pulled the bin on him just last year when other options opened up.

It'd be pretty dumb of a club to give up draft capital that goes against their list philosophy because a few people might find it 'unprofessional'...
When baker met with the eagles brass, simpsons was not part of the company. Getting Baker is an eagles decision not a simpson one.

Graham didn't have the contract pulled it was that after JHF became a possibilty there was no way they'd have the draft capital to get graham across as they had to exhaust it all to satisfy north

Baker isn’t the right player for the Eagles in full rebuild mode.
If they were to split pick 1 or 2 to accommodate a trade for him they would be insane …
The current player rankings I'd agree. O'Sullivan & Smillie are perfect for the eagles as vic country boys. Smith and Trainor are metro boys who are harder to keep based on statistics so Tigers hope eagles don't end up with either 1 or 2.

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

From the wording this week, the club clearly wants to prioritise the youth(properly this time...) and blowing a 2nd rounder on a bloke who won't be a part of the next flag is unlikely to cut it with the fans.
It would be a PR disaster to sack Simpson for not selecting enough kids and going hard enough on a rebuild and then to trade in a 26 year old who doesn't play in a key position. Its funny how absurd this thread is looking now as I cant see Baker coming to Freo (despite our offer) and Id be surprised if even the Eagles current 2nd was on the table in trade for Baker now. I think WC will probably trade the contracted Barrass and keep all their draft picks now that Busslinger has extended. WC will want as many picks to address their key needs long term including a key back. Looking at the draft plenty of key backs will be available around the Eagles second rounder. Baker I think will resign with Richmond before the season is out.

When baker met with the eagles brass, simpsons was not part of the company. Getting Baker is an eagles decision not a simpson one.

Graham didn't have the contract pulled it was that after JHF became a possibilty there was no way they'd have the draft capital to get graham across as they had to exhaust it all to satisfy north
Highly likely those who met with Baker won't be at the club next year either as a full cleanout of the match committee is expected.Most WC supporters would be furious if the club treats Simpson the way they have and then traded out draft picks for a 26 year old.

Yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

From the wording this week, the club clearly wants to prioritise the youth(properly this time...) and blowing a 2nd rounder on a bloke who won't be a part of the next flag is unlikely to cut it with the fans.
Wait till those nuff fans see who they get in the draft for that second rounder. Most likely a pick in the 30s in an average draft.

Far from a rolled gold selection. But yeah, they should keep the pick.

Eagles shouldn’t split for Baker and highly doubtful they do. They could split and move back to a pick if they rate a player higher then other teams do and can get him with that pick and another pick.

Eagles would be aiming for 5 years to be playing finals again. Reid/FOS?/Hewett/Ginbey ect would be at the right age. Baker is still playing footy at that stage and would have great experience to pass down about finals to a lot of kids who haven’t.

Teams down the bottom have stuffed up picks time after time and it will happen. Everyone does, this is why it can’t be all about draft picks. Known players help. (At the right price)

Trend in the right direction and players jump on. Need to start trending in the right direction first which isn’t easy.

Despite Simpson moving on, are you honestly so naive to think that the coach has no input into list management?

So they jumped at the better option?

How 'unprofessional' of them :rolleyes:

It would be a PR disaster to sack Simpson for not selecting enough kids and going hard enough on a rebuild and then to trade in a 26 year old who doesn't play in a key position. Its funny how absurd this thread is looking now as I cant see Baker coming to Freo (despite our offer) and Id be surprised if even the Eagles current 2nd was on the table in trade for Baker now. I think WC will probably trade the contracted Barrass and keep all their draft picks now that Busslinger has extended. WC will want as many picks to address their key needs long term including a key back. Looking at the draft plenty of key backs will be available around the Eagles second rounder. Baker I think will resign with Richmond before the season is out.
Agree with all that and hope it comes to fruition.

Would be sad to lose Barrass but he's too old to be a part of the next flag and deserves to get paid his worth, whilst having another shot at a flag

Wait till those nuff fans see who they get in the draft for that second rounder. Most likely a pick in the 30s in an average draft.

Far from a rolled gold selection. But yeah, they should keep the pick.
Wasn't Baker a rookie himself?

He's also too old for the next flag push, unless things go better than expected.

Would be a weird move from the club to say that they're prioritising youth whilst attempting to trade for a 27yo.

Most likely he re-signs at Richmond.

Who are these good key backs you have in mind in the 30-40 range in this draft? Didn’t realise this draft was so loaded with talent, especially that deep.
It all depends on the AFL and what happens with draft bidding rules. Many think that they'll be changed this year so second rounders will hold their value and not slide. Yes the top 25 picks are rated highly in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all depends on the AFL and what happens with draft bidding rules. Many think that they'll be changed this year so second rounders will hold their value and not slide. Yes the top 25 picks are rated highly in this draft.
I’m more interested in the plethora of quality key backs you believe will be available at west coasts second pick. Who are some of the players you believe will be available to them there at that pick?

I’m more interested in the plethora of quality key backs you believe will be available at west coasts second pick. Who are some of the players you believe will be available to them there at that pick?
What do you mean exactly? Every year players like Hugh Davies who are ranked in the top handful of key defenders in the draft fall to picks in the 30's. Its because negating types get rated lower than attacking types. Have a look at drafts historically. Why would this draft be any different?

Eagles have heaps of experienced players on the list.
They can choose the ones they want to help guide the youngsters through the rebuild
Richmond are in the same boat and any return on Baker helps drive their rebuild in turn …
We could say the same thing about Baker staying, helping our young players through the rebuild.
Fans act like clubs jump off players after a few quiet games they not emotional like supporters... if a club truly wants a player they want them.

If Harley Reid is quiet for the rest the year, it's not going to change my opinion of him.

We could say the same thing about Baker staying, helping our young players through the rebuild.
Fans act like clubs jump off players after a few quiet games they not emotional like supporters... if a club truly wants a player they want them.

If Harley Reid is quiet for the rest the year, it's not going to change my opinion of him.
I think he'll stay at Richmond. I can't see any offer coming from either WA club that will be close to what Richmond would require to do the trade. I don't even think WC would offer a second rounder now and Baker doesn't want to come to Freo. I also don't think Baker would want to change clubs via the PSD so he'll sign the lucrative offer Richmond has made.

I know they did but things have changed in recent times with the sacking of Simpson. Basically those around the decision at West Coast felt the match committee was not going hard enough on their rebuild and playing kids to get games into them. I cant see WC making an offer Richmond would accept and I don't think he's coming to Freo so more than likely he's staying at Richmond in my opinion.
This would be the best result for Richmond
Never been in favour of letting a player with another 100 games left that is a leader and cultural player when going into a rebuild. Baker is worth more to Richmond than a late 1st round pick that would be less than 50% chance to play 100 games

This would be the best result for Richmond
Never been in favour of letting a player with another 100 games left that is a leader and cultural player when going into a rebuild. Baker is worth more to Richmond than a late 1st round pick that would be less than 50% chance to play 100 games
I think you'll get your wish. I also don't think either WA club will make an offer that Richmond would agree to as WC will be likely to keep their draft picks as Don Pyke has said they want to go full rebuid mode and like I said he doesn't seem keen on Freo.

Well that wouldn't be very professional would it? Fine by me though.
That happens all the time. For what its worth it looks like WC won't just be getting a new coach but an entire new match committee. It would be highly likely none of the people who made the offer to Baker will be at the club next year judging by some of the comments by Don Pyke in recent days. Baker's highly likely to stay at Richmond now I would have thought.

I think you'll get your wish. I also don't think either WA club will make an offer that Richmond would agree to as WC will be likely to keep their draft picks as Don Pyke has said they want to go full rebuid mode and like I said he doesn't seem keen on Freo.
Well apparently Freo have already been tol - Thanks for the offer but NO
Eagles made their offer and lets hope they retract it and Baker stays

Eagles do have a very very long rebuild with no picks and no assets that have value they can afford to lose

That happens all the time. For what its worth it looks like WC won't just be getting a new coach but an entire new match committee. It would be highly likely none of the people who made the offer to Baker will be at the club next year judging by some of the comments by Don Pyke in recent days. Baker's highly likely to stay at Richmond now I would have thought.
Well they have just appointed their new list manager , Not sure they will be sacking him any time soon

Unless you live under a rock there have been multiple sources that have reported that Baker has knocked back Fremantles extremely generous offer
A) Lol, at extremely generous when it sounds like it at the very least, is the same or less then Tigers reported offer
B) My post was more curious because you seem to always say he said "NO", in capitals. Just thought maybe you were in the room when he told David Walls to get ****ed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back