Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

Think the whole pursuit of Liam Baker does change here.

Any new coach will likely prioritize defensive pressure over everything else so I can see a ton of focus going into that area when it comes to recruiting. Suspect we move on to the likes of Riley Garcia and dump this pursuit

If there was any doubt, surely a new coach with no immediate pressure to perform would come in and say, "you'll use good draft capital on a 27 year old over my dead body"

Such an interesting situation. He really should just re-sign and Richmond really should be more open to losing Bolton but whatever.

Think the whole pursuit of Liam Baker does change here.

Any new coach will likely prioritize defensive pressure over everything else so I can see a ton of focus going into that area when it comes to recruiting. Suspect we move on to the likes of Riley Garcia and dump this pursuit
Yeah I hope so.
But if you know professional footy clubs (which obviously you don’t), you’d know the list manager is the one that looks to the long term strategy and balance of the list. They work in tandem with the coach but have a longer term view. Unless you’ve got an absolute egomaniac of a coach who insists he needs a certain player to have a tilt.

West Coasts pursuit of baker won’t change one iota with Simpson gone. But who even knows their real level of interest anyway?

Yeah I hope so.
But if you know professional footy clubs (which obviously you don’t), you’d know the list manager is the one that looks to the long term strategy and balance of the list. They work in tandem with the coach but have a longer term view. Unless you’ve got an absolute egomaniac of a coach who insists he needs a certain player to have a tilt.

West Coasts pursuit of baker won’t change one iota with Simpson gone. But who even knows their real level of interest anyway?
Yes they work in tandem with the coach.... I dont think the new coach will be told - "We are putting 900k into Liam Baker, figure it out yourself" for example

I expect its less about Liam Baker the human and more about the list balance.

You really need to wrap a hot towel around your head and have a lie down. Maybe spoon The Gun while your are at it, he needs a hug. ;) :$

Eagles making some tough calls and sounds like Baker is on board. They dont change coaches often and the new management in charge are looking and acting serious.

Interesting times ahead.
Strange fantasy, please keep to yourself in future.

This was always the case- with or without a head coach.

The list manager will have even more say now there is no one in the seat.
There'll be someone in the seat before the draft and if they say 'jump' to Clark, he'll say 'how high?'

Or do you really think the list manager is going to recruit whoever the hell he wants, even if those players don't adhere to the game style the coach is attempting to implement?

That's a fantastic way to get sacked.

I bet you the PDS doesnt come into play and instead reasonable people accept reality.

That last bit was not refering to you BTW.
You are all over the shop

Reality is if west coast have made the biggest offer and want Baker
you say reasonable people accept reality but you have no sense in reality with trade value

Eagles gonna pay ;)

Similar profile to Richmonds except the Eagles are ahead in the list turnover.

We are 2 years behind Hawthorns rebuild.

But I expect nothing less from you TT.
Our list has been decimated all year and both Richmond/Eagles are at about same level
But only difference is Richmond have picks and assets to trade for picks

Eagles are a train wreck that only has 5 bodies that are warm

There'll be someone in the seat before the draft and if they say 'jump' to Clark, he'll say 'how high?'

Or do you really think the list manager is going to recruit whoever the hell he wants, even if those players don't adhere to the game style the coach is attempting to implement?

Rubbish

You will most likely have a 1st time coach in charge that would have walked in the door 2 minutes before the draft
matty Clarke is in charge of list management and will be his call completely with a rookie coach just an onlooker

Rubbish

You will most likely have a 1st time coach in charge that would have walked in the door 2 minutes before the draft
matty Clarke is in charge of list management and will be his call completely with a rookie coach just an onlooker
Yeah, nah.

Don't get your hopes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread now done a 180

Eagles say we may no longer want him and Richmond fans are like "Please want him, give us a 1st rounder please!!!"

3 clubs are after him and no fanbase wants him
oooh make believe story time :) fun

oooh make believe story time :) fun
Freo dont want him, Eagles dont want him. That much has been nailed down

Now I say Eagles may not want him, THE_GUN and co jump up and down saying "No, you definetly stilll want him" and are hoping that situation doesnt change as opposed to being like a "yay now we might keep him" reaction

Silence isnt acceptance but it sure indicates someones desires

WC supporters shit canning us through out this thread, you big sillys, look very silly now.

How? You do that all by yourself.

Simpson didnt just fake being tired and is about to disappear on a vacation with his mistress that destroyed his marriage and split the club. Only to return and sign long term elsewhere and start poaching players?

A bloodless end done with a fair amount of class and best wishes.

I think he's fine and worth a late first or early second. The reason I don't want him is the salary. I'm sure its not a $1m a year or anything but we've a bunch of players that are going to warrant payrises in the next 3-4 years (Treacy for example) and I don't think Baker is worth potentially compromising any of them.

If you knew anything about the industry you’d know the recruitment of players from other clubs takes place over months, not weeks.

The decision to go all in for baker will be made well before a new coach is in the seat.

It has to be business as usual.
Can’t wait until other clubs have first crack at other players and it’s too late.

Plus if a new coach demands to recruit players there’s something wrong with the football dept dynamic.

If you knew anything about the industry you’d know the recruitment of players from other clubs takes place over months, not weeks.

The decision to go all in for baker will be made well before a new coach is in the seat.

Can’t wait until other clubs have first crack at other players and it’s too late.

Plus if a new coach demands to recruit players there’s something wrong with the football dept dynamic.

He is talking about draft selections.

Not trades.

I'm aware of how it works

I'm also aware that there's a CEO and GM of football who will also have their own input into the list and aren't just going to let the list manager do whatever the hell he wants.

Most likely, they'll discuss where they see the the list in a few year's time and will direct the list manager to provide options accordingly.

Hate to break it to you but they're not going to let Clark gimp our draft position and split 3 and give up a top 10 pick for Baker...

Our list has been decimated all year and both Richmond/Eagles are at about same level
But only difference is Richmond have picks and assets to trade for picks

Eagles are a train wreck that only has 5 bodies that are warm
History tells you the Eagles bounce back. A Flag and some times two every decade and few GFs thrown in there too. Our boy Baker would know that well being an Eagle at heart and maybe just wants to jump on.

Was he?
This is a discussion about Liam Baker and West Coasts interest in him.

Read again. He was talking about a new coach will be in the seat before draft night. And if the new coach wants a certain type player the list manager would " jump to it" and go get that player.

Aka the list manager does not have full control over the draft.

The someone is the coach.

Now the trade for Baker may get done prior to a new coach being appointed. But chances are the new coach will be known by trade week.

Last edited:

Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back