Remove this Banner Ad

I_LUV_AFL

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2002
Central Coast, NSW
Other Teams
Penrith RLFC, Mariners FC
Tuesday November 30, 2004
at Franklin Field (University of Pennsylvania)
Cap: 53,000
Pre-Match
Coogee Dolphins Vs Glenn Mills Bulls

For more information www.amnrl.com

The USA will be sponsored by America Rugby Ltd, tickets.com, Fox, RugbyWear

Also on amnrl.com is The Rock in a full Kangaroo Kit

And, yes the Yanks players have stated they can win if the Kangaroos drop their guard. Go the Kangaroos, smash the Yanks!

Homer: One liberty bell, two liberty bells,...ah..oh............woo-hoo...three liberty bells..

Apu: Please sir be removing your thumb from the ticket.

good to see that the bronco's are helping a young yank try to break into league.

takes abit of guts to stop what you're doing and take something eles up.

feel for the guy having to take on webke and co in his 1st big game(usa v aus) hope he goe's well and shows some potential.

the guy looks big for a 19 yr old.

U.S. READY FOR TOP RUGBY TEAM

For the first time in their history, the world's No. 1 ranked Rugby League team, the Australian Kangaroos, will hit American soil.

The Kangaroos, who haven't lost an international series in over 30 years, will take on the 18th-ranked USA Tomahawks at Franklin Field in Philadelphia on Nov. 30.

The Australians are made up of the best players in the 15-team Australian Rugby League, whose season runs from March to October. The U.S. team is comprised of the best from the eight-team American National Rugby League, as well as players from overseas who have roots in the States.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/20218.htm

I know someone is going to complain to the new york post that you can't call rugby league "rugby". :D

I read an article in some other US paper not that long ago talking about the AmNRL - but they also assumed (quite logically if you've never seen the game) that it was the American national league of rugby, rather than rugby league being the name of the sport...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AuckMel said:
They'll get better value for money watching the Kangaroos.
And for what reason? When American sports fans hear "rugby", they're far more likely to think of Union than League. The Eagles are not only established on the international scene but also improving, and should register decent scores in their two European games this year.

While in Rugby League, pitting the Tomahawks against the Kangaroos is akin to pitting one of Union's minnows (e.g. Namibia last year) against the Wallabies or American Samoa against the Socceroos in 2001 with the inevitable outcome being a brutal mismatch and a barrage of criticism and condemnation. That's not to say the game won't develop in the USA- it will if given the time and a genuine effort is made.
I'm just saying that while there is nothing technically wrong with this game going ahead, the inevitable outcome if it turns out to be a mismatch of that scale will be the same sort of criticism and condemnation we've seen when it happened in other codes.

David Votoupal said:
And for what reason?

I was kidding, David.

That said, the Americans are in for a treat watching the Kangaroos going around.

David Votoupal said:
I'm just saying that while there is nothing technically wrong with this game going ahead, the inevitable outcome if it turns out to be a mismatch of that scale will be the same sort of criticism and condemnation we've seen when it happened in other codes.

The Rugby Union fraternity dont often scold themselves over these mismatches, although granted they do limit them to every four years.

Pantsless said:
Nov 13: Ireland vs USA (Dublin)
Nov 20: Italy v USA (Biella)

They're not in the US.

When American Sports fans think of "rugby" - they don't differentiate either rugby code. I doubt most even know there are two rugby codes.

The Tomahawk's are in for a bashing, no doubt about that. But at least it'll develop rugby (yes, both codes) throughout Pennsylvania and the USA in general.

It's the biggest game of 'rugby' that the Yanks will get for a while. A big stadium, the best team in the world and live primetime coverage on Fox Sports. International Rugby L can't ask for much more, except for hopefully a decent game :)

Richoagain said:
I read an article in some other US paper not that long ago talking about the AmNRL - but they also assumed (quite logically if you've never seen the game) that it was the American national league of rugby, rather than rugby league being the name of the sport...

Isn't that the same for the AFL states?

They think that the NRL is a national league of Rugby, rather than rugby league being the sport. I guess its logical since the AFL is a league of Australian Football, rather than an Australian league of "football" (ie. soccer)

pcpp said:
Isn't that the same for the AFL states?

They think that the NRL is a national league of Rugby, rather than rugby league being the sport. I guess its logical since the AFL is a league of Australian Football, rather than an Australian league of "football" (ie. soccer)
Im confused but I do understand the confusion of other, less rugby-educated citizens. :confused: :eek: :confused:

U.S.A Tomahawks Squad V Australia Kangaroos:
Coach: John Cartwright
Assistant Coach: Shane Millard
Assistant Coach: Bill Hansbury
Trainer: Ron Artingstall
Manager: Bill Horan
Doctors: Merrick Wetzler and Andy Levy

Erik Hollingsworth - Glen Mills Bulls
Nate Smith - Connecticut Wildcats
Chris Waters - Guildford, Australia
Matt Petersen - Parramatta Eels, Australia
Brandon Costin - Huddersfield, England
Jeff Preston (c) - Philadelphia Fight
Marcus Vassilakopoulos - Glen Mills Bulls
Ric Dortone - Washington DC Slayers
Ryan Coleman - Glen Mills Bulls
Gareth Gibbs - Connecticut Wildcats
Ed Woodbridge - Glen Mills Bulls
Matt Astill - New York Knights
Ian Blake - Brisbane Broncos, Australia
Shayne Mains - Glen Mills Bulls
Danny Bull - Connecticut Wildcats
Will Brazier - Connecticut Wildcats
Christian Rahui - New York Knights
Joe Becker - Glen Mills Bulls
Ben Kelly - Northern Raiders
JC Rocha - Washington DC Slayers
Kevin Deal - Glen Mills Bulls

Sideshow bob will get across for the yanks(should put $20 on it)

30 odd tries in 50 odd games, up there with the best %.

Man i hope he does score after all the ********e Ray Hardly has put on him for 2 yrs, not good enough for anything he says........WELL WHO'S PLAYING AGAINST THE ROOS YOU ********A :D

p.s hope he has a big game. ;)

ParraEelsNRL said:
Sideshow bob will get across for the yanks(should put $20 on it)

30 odd tries in 50 odd games, up there with the best %.

Man i hope he does score after all the ********e Ray Hardly has put on him for 2 yrs, not good enough for anything he says........WELL WHO'S PLAYING AGAINST THE ROOS YOU ********A :D

p.s hope he has a big game. ;)

Peterson had a good game, pity i didn't go into the TAB when i went past it twice on wednesday :mad:

anyone know what price he was at for 1st try scorer?
(just wanna know what 20 bucks should've been)

Remove this Banner Ad

Liberty Bell Cup- USA vs Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back