Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

back to the old its not what she said its how she said it etc

if you're embarrassed by a black woman who doesn't support the crown letting the king know publicly that she doesn't support the crown

if you think its a national disgrace etc

that's a you problem

imagine having your identity caught up in everyone else being nice to some rich old campaigner from another country

Ahh yes, back to the old "anyone who has an issue with her is automatically a racist" from the radical identitarians.

I don't have an issue with her race, or even her opinion on the matter.

I have an issue with the fact she is incapable of any semblance of respectful discourse. It completely destroys any point she ever tries to make.

I'm not embarrassed for her because of her stance, I'm embarrassed for her because of how continually rude and inappropriate she consistently is in her "attempted" role as a Senator of this country. One in which she should be a role model.

Ahh yes, back to the old "anyone who has an issue with her is automatically a racist" from the radical identitarians.
there was no mention of racism in my post that you have quoted

that was earlier and its true, she sets the racists off big time
I don't have an issue with her race, or even her opinion on the matter.

I have an issue with the fact she is incapable of any semblance of respectful discourse. It completely destroys any point she ever tries to make.
like i said the old tone policing
I'm not embarrassed for her because of her stance, I'm embarrassed for her because of how continually rude and inappropriate she consistently is in her as a Senator of this country. One in which she should be a role model.
she is a role model

she's just not yours

Im not sure trying to directly blame Charles for atrocities committed before his lifetime and then swearing at him as a Senator of this country is reasonable personally. (who she swore an oath to, to "be faithful and bear true allegiance" to)

Embarrassing day for this country, that will no doubt get airtime across most major networks around the world in the next few hours (job done from her perspective)
That’s it though. He’s not Charles. He’s the king. He’s on the hook for his royal line. If he’s so bothered by it he can start by retuning all the stolen wealth this inbreds stole from their beloved colonies.

That’s it though. He’s not Charles. He’s the king. He’s on the hook for his royal line. If he’s so bothered by it he can start by retuning all the stolen wealth this inbreds stole from their beloved colonies.

Again, an interesting precedent for virtually every inhabitant of this country. Including first nations people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps some of her fans will try and defend how awful she is which will amuse me until I log off
meh this probably would have been more shocking had she left the King's reception alone. After all her main point is around injustices from colonisation etc and the king is a direct representative of colonisation

given I'm not going to click on a news.com.au link I have to assume that Thorpe has said something entirely reasonable and the racists are foaming at the mouth over it
I heard her say "give us back our land"
which while reasonable from Lidia's perspective I cannot say is reasonable or realistic from my perspective.
My perspective is of equal value to Lidia's

It's not what she said, but how she said it and delivered it.

You missed a bit, but again, you already admitted you generally don't read news before commenting, so I can repeat it for you for clarity:

"Give us back what you stole from us"

"You destroyed our land"

Again, a total embarrassment to the vast majority in the country (not you clearly, as a member of the vast minority, which you are perfectly entitled to not feel embarrassed about).
Which part is objectionable?

I heard her say "give us back our land"
which while reasonable from Lidia's perspective I cannot say is reasonable or realistic from my perspective.
My perspective is of equal value to Lidia's
welcome to the internet where everyone thinks their opinion is as equally valid on all topics as anyone they disagree with

welcome to the internet where everyone thinks their opinion is as equally valid on all topics as anyone they disagree with
on a topic like this, how do you measure validity? I would potentially accuse Thorpe of self interest as she has something to gain; and she would rightly accuse me of self interest as I don't want the potential of loss.

on a topic like this, how do you measure validity? I would potentially accuse Thorpe of self interest as she has something to gain; and she would rightly accuse me of self interest as I don't want the potential of loss.
My point was you thinking your position is equally valid doesn't mean it is but is very common

Everyone wants equal weight given to their view on something regardless of expertise on the topic

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back