Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

Cleared twice wasn't she? But who's counting?
I never saw an outcome to the Ato Boldon saga so I have no idea on that one. My point is more, if corruption allegations keep following someone around and then they quit after three years, they're not a successful politician.

Or are you saying Gillard may have had something to do with that?
I have no idea what Gillard did or didn't do, beyond giving the finger to the sitting senator and the NT Labor branch members so she could have her captain's pick.

Anyway, Peris is welcome to her opinion, and of course Aboriginal people have multiple viewpoints. It's just funny that anyone's paying attention to her on political matters given her brief and controversy-laden career, and that even Jacinta Price thinks she's a dropkick.

So aren't many or all of the upper house members of the UK, Canada, Germany, Ireland, France, India, Malaysia and South African governments.

I guess we should treat them like shit also if they come to town as most of them weren't democratically elected and just indirectly appointed? Social standing, money, wealth and family names etc play a big factor in politics. Welcome to reality.

Our senate is elected via proportional representation also. She's hardly got the same personal mandate as a member of our house of representatives if you really want to get into it.

The Australian Greens received 99.7% of the vote above the line to enable them to award Lidia a seat as their pre-selected #1 ticketed senate candidate. Lidia received 0.2% of the direct vote below the line for those that wanted to specifically vote for her.

It's not exactly like it is a direct election like US Senate elections. Australians vote for parties in Senate Elections and the Greens were the ones who directly selected Lidia personally (A decision they regret...). This applies to most Senators.
maybe we can hang shit on those others or maybe or maybe not. I don't give a stuff because they make no claim to be head of state of this country unlike the Windor parasites and their bumlicking acolytes :)

I would disagree with that. You don't get worldwide media without something like this.

That's why the conservatives are so triggered by it.

I think Lidia should do Welcome to Country at all the major events, especially when English teams tour here.

I never saw an outcome to the Ato Boldon saga so I have no idea on that one. My point is more, if corruption allegations keep following someone around and then they quit after three years, they're not a successful politician.

I have no idea what Gillard did or didn't do, beyond giving the finger to the sitting senator and the NT Labor branch members so she could have her captain's pick.

Anyway, Peris is welcome to her opinion, and of course Aboriginal people have multiple viewpoints. It's just funny that anyone's paying attention to her on political matters given her brief and controversy-laden career, and that even Jacinta Price thinks she's a dropkick.

And who is this? We were discussing her opinion on reconciliation of aboriginal Australians and the disrespect she observed Thorpe show as a Senator (and an indigenous female one to boot). She's one of only 3 people in history that can provide that perspective.

Is this also the same Jacinta Price that once described Lidia as "utterly despicable"?

And who is this? We were discussing her opinion on reconciliation of aboriginal Australians
No, we were discussing her opinion on Thorpe.

and the disrespect she observed Thorpe show as a Senator (and an indigenous female one to boot). She's one of only 3 people in history that can provide that perspective.
One doesn't have to be a Senator to have opinions on the performance of a politician, no more than one has to be a master chef to have opinions on food. I'd also add that if one is a party politician, they can't be trusted to have a view of a politician from a different party that is free of lingering partisan bias. I also don't care what Kevin Rudd thinks of Bob Brown. In this case I'd much prefer to hear the views of Aboriginal elders who have had no involvement in party politics. Preferably not Marcia Langton, as she nailed her political colours to the mast a very long time ago, despite never (to my knowledge) being a candidate for any party.

Is this also the same Jacinta Price that once described Lidia as "utterly despicable"?
Yes, and? What point are you making? My point is that people who listen to Jacinta Price are happy to parrot Nova Peris when her opinions agree with theirs.

So not infantilising Thorpe is bootlicking in your mind?
Call it what you want. As I said, this is behaviour I expect out of my 3 year old, not an elected official. I'd be equally embarrassed if it was a politician you don't like. Certainly wouldn't be calling it courageous as seems to be the consensus here. She shouldn't feign surprise that the adults don't want to engage with her

No, we were discussing her opinion on Thorpe.

One doesn't have to be a Senator to have opinions on the performance of a politician, no more than one has to be a master chef to have opinions on food. I'd also add that if one is a party politician, they can't be trusted to have a view of a politician from a different party that is free of lingering partisan bias. I also don't care what Kevin Rudd thinks of Bob Brown. In this case I'd much prefer to hear the views of Aboriginal elders who have had no involvement in party politics. Preferably not Marcia Langton, as she nailed her political colours to the mast a very long time ago, despite never (to my knowledge) being a candidate for any party.

Yes, and? What point are you making? My point is that people who listen to Jacinta Price are happy to parrot Nova Peris when her opinions agree with theirs.

No, I think you need to read her statement again.

I also never said that you have to be a Senator to have an opinion, but I tried to make the point that her opinion might be worth considering given the very unique life experiences she shares with Thorpe. You can dismiss it, which is your right. But it’s certainly relevant enough to not be considered “just funny” if she gives her opinion on the matter.

I never said that you have to be a Senator to have an opinion, but I tried to make the point that her opinion might be worth considering given the very unique life experiences between her and Thorpe. You can dismiss it, which is your right. But it’s certainly relevant enough to not be considered “just funny” if she gives her opinion on her the matter.

Also consider that Lidia's uncle has bought charges against Nova's friend Mark Regev for his genocidal warmongering, it's currently going through the courts.

So bit of a conflict of interest for Nova to be making comments on Lidia.

No, I think you need to read her statement again.
Is this thread about reconciliation? No. It's about Lidia Thorpe. I'm happy to discuss reconciliation elsewhere, here I'm discussing Thorpe. And Peris' first 3-4 paragraphs are about Thorpe, not reconciliation.

I also never said that you have to be a Senator to have an opinion, but I tried to make the point that her opinion might be worth considering given the very unique life experiences she shares with Thorpe. You can dismiss it, which is your right. But it’s certainly relevant enough to not be considered “just funny” if she gives her opinion on the matter.
Thanks, I invoke that right. When it comes to Thorpe, I don't care about Peris' views, because she's a Labor Party hack. This is why I brought up the comparison to Kevin Rudd's views on Bob Brown, to draw an analogy to two white men former party politicians rather than two Aboriginal women former party politicians. In both cases they can be dismissed because partisan hackery is often more powerful than any insight based on demographic identity, as Penny Wong proved when speaking against the need for same-sex marriage during the Gillard Government.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also consider that Lidia's uncle has bought charges against Nova's friend Mark Regev for his genocidal warmongering, it's currently going through the courts.

So bit of a conflict of interest for Nova to be making comments on Lidia.

Wow, more than little biit patronizing with a splash of misogynistic undertone.

Hasn’t this thread turned when another black woman dared voice an opposing opinion, a progressive to boot.

Wow, more than little biit patronizing with a splash of misogynistic undertone.

Hasn’t this thread turned when another black woman dared voice an opposing opinion, a progressive to boot.
It happened during the voice referendum and it’s happening here, the far left in here probably think all of the indigenous people are behind Lydia couldn’t be further from the truth, trying their best to shut indigenous people they don’t agree with down.

I’d be interested in your thoughts on Lidia’s legacy then.

Only democratically elected for 1 term and where being in a relationship with a major organized crime figure whilst sitting on Parliaments law enforcement committee sits on your corruption scale..

It happened during the voice referendum and it’s happening here, the far left in here probably think all of the indigenous people are behind Lydia couldn’t be further from the truth, trying their best to shut indigenous people they don’t agree with down.

Have you not read the thread?

So you're saying he's not the King of England?
He's the King of Australia. Its actually a separate but real title.

Australia has its own Monarchy., Its exactly the same as the UK one but all the titles, positions/roles and responsibilities are exclusively Australian.

Yay for us.

If he agreed with lydia, does he actually even have the power to do what she wants?

Im as anti-monarchy as anyone, but leave my hate for real monarchies. Not pretend ones that are symbolic only. And they havent been real for hundreds of years

i dont have a problem with what Lydia did today. Just all seems a bit pointless to me. Her attention should be focussed on our government if she wants to change our laws.
I don't think she wants to change Australia's laws.

I think she wants self determination, sovereignty and land rights that are independent of Australia's laws.

Lidia
He's the King of Australia. Its actually a separate but real title.

Australia has its own Monarchy., Its exactly the same as the UK one but all the titles, positions/roles and responsibilities are exclusively Australian.

Yay for us.
Yes but according to seeds not a real monarch despite being King of multiple countries

So what. Nothing I have said is not true either. There will not be any land back. Never going to happen.
That's a comment that you can't prove

That's your opinion not a truth

That's a comment that you can't prove

That's your opinion not a truth
And what lidia says is also just her opinion not a truth. This is going in circles and we should probably agree to disagree though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back