Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as Lidia discussion is cropping up across multiple threads, let's have us a thread for people who want to discuss her contribution to Australian politics.

It should go without saying but seeing as she's a bit of a beacon for controversy - for a variety of reasons - let's just remind ourselves what the board rules are around racism and sexism, shall we?
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which:
  • is dangerous to health, anti-vax, Covid denial etc,
  • is hateful, including sympathetic discussion of far-right/neo-Nazi tropes,
  • misinformation or disinformation,
  • defamatory,
  • threatening,
  • abusive,
  • bigotry,
  • likely to offend,
  • is spam or spam-like,
  • contains adult or objectionable content,
  • risks copyright infringement,
  • encourages unlawful activity (including illegal drug use, buying, selling etc),
  • or otherwise violates any laws,
  • or contains personal information of others.
Standard board rules apply, but let's make this abundantly clear: let's play nicely in here.

Go nuts.

And what lidia says is also just her opinion not a truth. This is going in circles and we should probably agree to disagree though.
So you don't accept that the British stole land and killed people and took their wealth and bodies?
Because that can be proven and is a historical fact.

At this point you're just putting your fingers in your ears and screaming not listening because you don't want to have to deal with it

I fail to see how land back is an improvement worth the cost to everyone else
There's more to the conversation than the one thing you can't get past

He's the King of Australia. Its actually a separate but real title.

Australia has its own Monarchy., Its exactly the same as the UK one but all the titles, positions/roles and responsibilities are exclusively Australian.

Yay for us.

“Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of Australia and His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth” as per the Royal Titles Act 1953 amended in 1973 for Lizzie.

And it’s not exactly the same.

We don’t have exactly the same function of government as the UK for starters.

So you don't accept that the British stole land and killed people and took their wealth and bodies?
Because that can be proven and is a historical fact.

At this point you're just putting your fingers in your ears and screaming not listening because you don't want to have to deal with it
Disagreeing on where to go is not sticking fingers in ears. If not “land back” then what. What would satisfy those who share lidias view but be acceptable to the rest of Australia?

Disagreeing on where to go is not sticking fingers in ears. If not “land back” then what. What would satisfy those who share lidias view but be acceptable to the rest of Australia?
You don't want to go anywhere at all though
Literally any time anything os brought up that isn't the status quo on Indigenous Rights you start squawking

I don't think she wants to change Australia's laws.

I think she wants self determination, sovereignty and land rights that are independent of Australia's laws
Whose land are we giving away? Do the sovereign citizens get to enjoy the benefits of improvements made post 1788? (roads, infrastructure, essentially everything)

These questions probably need answering before we start giving away land.

Whose land are we giving away? Do the sovereign citizens get to enjoy the benefits of improvements made post 1788? (roads, infrastructure, essentially everything)

These questions probably need answering before we start giving away land.
Oh look racism

I've read a lot of pages in this thread and this is my first post in SRP forum (ever). I've avoided posting in this forum simply because most topics in it create a divide, it seems you're either on one side or the other.

Here's my two cents on Lidia Thorpe.....

She's definitely passionate about indigenous affairs and wrong doings inflicted on her people. I respect her for that, if I were indigenous I definitely would too. The way she goes about it is something I don't agree with and it has the affect of ostricising people who would otherwise support her opinions. She comes across as a bit of loose cannon and a little unhinged, someone full of hate.

I think (might be wrong) what she wanted to achieve with the King is for him to say or admit "yes past royals ****ed up in the early days of settling Australia. What the early settlers did to the indigenous population at the time was an atrocity, I wish we could have a do over. On behalf of our royal lineage we apologise to your people." But instead all we read is Lidia dropped the F-bomb around the King, she turned her back on the national anthem, her conduct is completely unbecoming of an MP. Well, all of those things are true, she did do all of that.

I'm in my 40's and when I reflect back to the 80's or 90's and think of attitudes toward our indigenous people, what I witnessed and lived through as a child, I see Australia as a whole has changed a lot, an awful lot. This is a good thing, it's like mending bridges and moving forward to a more united country as far as I'm concerned. What Lidia does, as far as I'm concerned, is feed hate and shame on the rest of us. I think that starts to undo the good work that has been achieved these last 20 years ago.

That's the bit about her I have a problem with, the very thing I think she wants to do/achieve/change she's going about it completely the wrong way and turning people (both indigenous and non-indigenous) against her. She does have something worthwhile to say and points to make but it is completely lost in her actions and words.

If you made it this far thanks for reading, was a bit longer than intended.

Everything I disagree with is racism!

Straight out of the playbook!
No actually what you posted is standard racism
Western superiority bullshit it's really common and it's just straight up racist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of Australia and His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth” as per the Royal Titles Act 1953 amended in 1973 for Lizzie.

And it’s not exactly the same.

We don’t have exactly the same function of government as the UK for starters.
Its exactly the same in that all monarchies are a stain on humanity.

No actually what you posted is standard racism
Western superiority bullshit it's really common and it's just straight up racist
Saying Australia has improved since 1788 isn't part of some superiority complex. It's just a fact. Most places in the world function better than they did 250 years ago

Saying Australia has improved since 1788 isn't part of some superiority complex. It's just a fact. Most places in the world function better than they did 250 years ago
Yeah but that's not what you were saying

Those people don't care about what's acceptable to the rest of Australia, and frankly why should they. The rest of Australia is the result of what they see as an illegal invasion and occupation.

If Australia has improved so much since 1788 and functions so much better why did 90% of the SE Coast burn 5 years ago?

Why are so many people homeless without food or a community to look after them?

Why have so many species gone extinct and with them the chance to find any potential medicinal benefits they may have held?

Whose land that we stole are we giving away? Do the sovereign citizens get to enjoy the benefits of improvements made post 1788? (roads, infrastructure, essentially everything)

These questions probably need answering before we start giving away land that we stole.
There ftfy.

If Australia has improved so much since 1788 and functions so much better why did 90% of the SE Coast burn 5 years ago?

Why are so many people homeless without food or a community to look after them?

Why have so many species gone extinct and with them the chance to find any potential medicinal benefits they may have held?
What was the average life span 250 years ago. What were the chances of dying during child birth? What was the infant mortality rate? What was the likelihood you could travel across country and not die?

A reasonable start would be handing all Crown land over and maybe an apology or two.

They started doing that 40 years ago and there’s a perfectly legal avenue to achieve that at the moment.

Lidia isn’t interested in crown land, she knows she can already claim that, she wants to bypass the crown land restrictions of the Native Land Act and the Aboriginal Land Rights Act so that she can claim freehold land ownership. Land handed back as part of these two acts since the 70’s and more noticeably since Mabo is approx 3 million square kilometers or 40% of Australias total land mass.

She’s not interested in that, she’s interested in urban areas.

She wants restitution/payment for the land which isn’t or can’t be handed back. As per similar terms in the agreement of the NZ treaty of 1840 which she so regularly cites. However this wasn’t a retrospective one…

Last edited:
They started doing that 40 years ago and there’s a perfectly legal avenue to achieve that at the moment.

Lidia isn’t interested in crown land, she knows she can already claim that, she wants to bypass the crown land restrictions of the Native Land Act and the Aboriginal Land Rights Act so that she can claim freehold land ownership. Land handed back as part of these two acts since the 70’s and more noticeably since Mabo is approx 3 million square kilometers or 40% of Australias land mass.

She’s not interested in that, she’s interested in urban areas.
Don't reckon you needed my post to build this rubbish.

Don't reckon you needed my post to build this rubbish.

Fine. Then get educated.

The simple answer is Australias judicial system has handed ownership back of 70% of all crown land since it was seized/colonized, so maybe don’t criticize something that has been somewhat achieving the function you were trying to criticize it for since probably before you were born.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Lidia Thorpe: Not the subject for every thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back