Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
CAMERON Ling will lead Geelong's 2010 premiership defence after he was announced as the club’s new captain at Skilled Stadium on Wednesday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/88803/default.aspx

I know I'll be told to take this to the Geelong board, but I'd like to see what opposition supporters think of our appointment.

Ling has the respect of virtually everyone in the football world - but should we have given the captaincy to Selwood or even Ablett (who has stated he would like to captain the club one day) given the lures from GC17 and GWS?

FWIW I am extremely happy with the appointment :thumbsu:

Correct pick..

He has been the vice captain for 3 years..has lead the club on and off superbly and has basically acted as captain for half of each of the last two years with harley out..

can handle media brilliantly..and we all know how loved and respected he is both by the fans and players..

Selwood can be vice for 3 years then step in and the perfect age of 24...

Firstly, this is main board worthy.

Secondly - Ling is a good appointment although I thought Ablett may have gotten it as a carrot.

Still if he will only stay at Geelong if he is captain would you want him.

Ling will be a good leader like ahrley was. He seems more laid back so will be interesting to see what the discipline is like. Harley was very strict.

Fine choice - has lots of ticker, respect and converts

Apart from when Buckley so heinously stained Ling with blood at the G, Ling has always carried himself well and deserves this

And, let's face it - he's a ranga, so he should make hay while the sun shines.

Interesting that Ablett has been overlooked, thought he'd be the logical choice as their best player. Is that a sign that Geelong aren't confident he'll be staying there?

Selwood probably would have been the other main contender but is maybe a bit too young at this stage.

Ling isn't a bad choice though, has been a stalwart at the Cats and seems to be a pretty popular bloke even if he does have a head only a mother could love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Ablett has been overlooked, thought he'd be the logical choice as their best player. Is that a sign that Geelong aren't confident he'll be staying there?

Selwood probably would have been the other main contender but is maybe a bit too young at this stage.

Ling isn't a bad choice though, has been a stalwart at the Cats and seems to be a pretty popular bloke even if he does have a head only a mother could love.

Not at all. Ling is the best man for the job. Your captain doesnt have to be the best player. He needs to be a great communicator which Ling is, and ABlett isnt.

Look at Harley - Was not the best player but has the respect of the playing group, was a great communicater which our captain king before him wasnt.

Great choice.

The right call...will captain for 2-3 years and set a great example for Sel, and then hand it over to him when he retires.

Ablett should not have been made captain to try and ensure he stays.

Not at all. Ling is the best man for the job. Your captain doesnt have to be the best player. He needs to be a great communicator which Ling, and ABlett isnt.

Look at Harley - Was not the best player but has the respect of the playing group, was a great communicater which our captain king before him wasnt.

Great choice.

While I think Ling is the best choice and deserves the title I laugh that when other clubs trot out this sort of spiel it is lambasted.

The most predictable appointment in recent times. Winning teams take safe options. Appointing a Selwood or Ablett may have had the means to upset/divide the group.

Ling is a highly respected player in the group and will lead the group well.

Reckon these two guys thought they'd be captain of the club?

1058061709_5c4c2cb7b5.jpg

Correct decision made by Geelong.

Could have easily been offered to Ablett as the "carrot" to keep him beyond 2010 with GC17 lurking.

At the end of the day, he is a highly respected and loved figure.

Too much risk would have been associated with Ablett assuming the role. Not a great look at all seeing the captain leave the club and this would have been at the back of the club's mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling new Geelong captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back