Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also- in the states, teams “retire” numbers when a player distinguishes himself to a high enough level for their team. And then no one ever wears that number for the team again. Is that something that happens in AFL?

A number which was worn by a departed (anywhere from just retired to 30 or more years) superstar is considered an honour. Should the retired player also be very recently retired, the honour is higher. For a new recruit to be granted such a number is an indication of the high regard held for the new player from within the Club. An example would be Hugh McCluggage number 6, which was worn by 3x Premiership player, Luke Power who was a super talented, longstanding player & outstanding person. Also see https://thewest.com.au/sport/brisba...browns-number-at-brisbane-lions-ng-b88680517z When players start out, they normally have higher numbers as the lower ones are taken. Some players like to keep their high numbers, whilst some will be offered and accept a lower number which was worn by a significant former Club player. 44 seems to have been a fairly popular number across the board in the League & has been worn by some outstanding players see http://www.upstart.net.au/the-44s-afls-exclusive-club/
This number was also worn by Fitzroy Lions champion Richard Osbourne & Brisbane Lions champion Nigel Lappin.

Another factor can be the fact that Club lockers run in numerical order. Sometimes young players may be given numbers which will seat them in the locker room next to an older player who can be a positive influence on them.

There may be more to this number business, but I think that covers the basics.
You raise excellent, thoughtful points.I have recently mentioned to the club more thought could be given to this matter.For example ,more games have been played in number 7,than any guernsey.It is the greatest Fitzroy Guernsey, worn by Bunton,Ruthven,Irwin,Clarke,etc.I believe it has been " misallocated" at times,and needs to be restored to its honoured role,therefore Neale,would be a wonderful inheritor of that tradition.

Also- in the states, teams “retire” numbers when a player distinguishes himself to a high enough level for their team. And then no one ever wears that number for the team again. Is that something that happens in AFL?
Only permanent number I can think of that is retired is Collingwood’s #42 for Darren Millane, although the likes of Voss’ #3 or Black’s #20 were retired for a year until such luminaries as Sam Sheldon and Josh Watts inherited the jumpers respectively.

I've wondered about this. What happens when they start running out of numbers?

Only permanent number I can think of that is retired is Collingwood’s #42 for Darren Millane, although the likes of Voss’ #3 or Black’s #20 were retired for a year until such luminaries as Sam Sheldon and Josh Watts inherited the jumpers respectively.
Hawthorn ‘retired’ Peter Crimmins’ #5 for many years until it was finally passed on to Andy Collins.

I've wondered about this. What happens when they start running out of numbers?

It’s a rare enough thing that I don’t believe it has caused that kind of issue.

Teams with storied histories have retired relatively high amount of numbers. I think the Yankees and Celtics each have retired over 20. But even that leaves quite a bit of numbers for their rosters. Eventually I guess it could cause an issue.

Starce would have to be a sure thing to dump 37. EVERYONE dumps 37.
Sure has, by my count 6 times:

- Sam Sheldon (37 to 3);
- Matt Austin (37 to 8);
- Bryce Retzlaff (37 to 8);
- Jacob Allison (37 to 19);
- Pat Garner (37 to 27);
- Cian Hanley (37 to 11) - rookie.

37 has also been worn by the likes of Nick Carter, Jeff Cooper*, Tom Tarrant*, Darren Bradshaw* and Daniel Pratt* and Patrick Wearden (*= rookies).

As an aside, Bryce Retzlaff (11 games) has played the most games wearing the #37 since the formation of the Brisbane Lions.

C'mon Starc, make the #37 your own and you'll be the games record holder in the #37 in 8 games time.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guessing there is a tale to be told behind the dread of 37?

Very respectable prime number #37

Would be better though if there were a Perfect Number available

Hugh's got 6, and Lewy's got 28 but somehow I can't envisage Lachie opting for the next Perfect Number available being 496

Pity.

Hugh's got 6, and Lewy's got 28 but somehow I can't envisage Lachie opting for the next Perfect Number available being 496

Pity.
Pretty sure our 2020 academy includes a father son pick from little know 1980’s player Pythagorean. Will make number choice a little harder

You raise excellent, thoughtful points.I have recently mentioned to the club more thought could be given to this matter.For example ,more games have been played in number 7,than any guernsey.It is the greatest Fitzroy Guernsey, worn by Bunton,Ruthven,Irwin,Clarke,etc.I believe it has been " misallocated" at times,and needs to be restored to its honoured role,therefore Neale,would be a wonderful inheritor of that tradition.
Yeah, good one, I love it. Number 7 means Warwick Irwin to me. Neale is a small midfielder like Irwin. Neale is as good as, if not better than, him & he'd never go to Collingwood :eek: (*edit* No disrespect to Irwin)

Ps: Personally, I like players to be awarded the numbers of former Club greats of similar style & field position. An example would be Mitch Robinson being awarded Martin Pikes number, hard men, have won Lions B&F, being traded because they were very naughty haha). Neale would also be suited to Leon Harris's number, great player & did well in finals (he was in the chain that gave Conlan the winning kick V Essendon in that wet Elimination final), nuggety midfielder.

Pps: Reading reasons for players to take up past greats numbers would be good fun. Has this been a topic before?

Ppss: I don't get out much haaaa.

Last edited:
Anyone who doubts Rich being in our top 22 right now is a bit crazy in my opinion. He’s turned into a very reliable small defender. He started off very bumpy in defence and I feel like that’s carried with him. Once he got used to it and the backline became more experience he picked up his game as well.

Barring a Mayes type drop of form I don’t see him losing a spot in the side before other regulars such as Robinson and Christensen.
Rich is in the top 5 afl ranked sm/med defenders in the competition and in the top 10% of listed players. He will be in our best 22 for a cpl of years yet. Only on 600k a year, not outrageous money so we are definately getting value for money from a player that has stuck loyal to us when many have left the den. He deserves a bit more respect.

He has been very good the last cpl of years playing in defence, finally settled in one position. His experience will be valuable when hodge finishes playing.

Rich is in the top 5 afl ranked sm/med defenders in the competition and in the top 10% of listed players. He will be in our best 22 for a cpl of years yet. Only on 600k a year, not outrageous money so we are definately getting value for money from a player that has stuck loyal to us when many have left the den. He deserves a bit more respect.

He has been very good the last cpl of years playing in defence, finally settled in one position. His experience will be valuable when hodge finishes playing.

He certainly does deserve a lot of respect. He has been extremely loyal. I'd love to see him win finals. He's the longest serving Lions player on the list. IMO, more than any player on the list, he DESERVES to taste success with the Lions. He's still a long kick which is great for switching play out of defence. I don't doubt for a second that he is an extremely high quality person.
For some reason, I do feel that he turns it over heaps & his hard ball gets are low (granted his role may be to play on the "outside" and switch the play) Maybe I have the wrong impression? I realise that I do have SUPER high expectations from him, because I've seen him star. Maybe this is blurring my current opinion of his 2018 form?

Genuinely, help me here, where can I find the stats on him being in the top 5 AFL Ranked sm/med defenders in the comp? Top 10% of listed players? Who are the other 4 players in our top 5 ?

Last edited:
Rich will go up another level when the team is up and running. Durable too so think he has four or five years in him. Also really think he should move to mid field / half forward to fully utilize his brilliant kick

Pity.

And now I know that a perfect number even exists and what it is ... who says that BF is not educational!

He certainly does deserve a lot of respect. He has been extremely loyal. I'd love to see him win finals. He's the longest serving Lions player on the list. IMO, more than any player on the list, he DESERVES to taste success with the Lions. He's still a long kick which is great for switching play out of defence. I don't doubt for a second that he is an extremely high quality person.
For some reason, I do feel that he turns it over heaps & his hard ball gets are low (granted his role may be to play on the "outside" and switch the play) Maybe I have the wrong impression? I realise that I do have SUPER high expectations from him, because I've seen him star. Maybe this is blurring my current opinion of his 2018 form?

Genuinely, help me here, where can I find the stats on him being in the top 5 AFL Ranked sm/med defenders in the comp? Top 10% of listed players? Who are the other 4 players in our top 5 ?
On the afl website, player stats. It will give a top 5 in each position, eg, sm/med defender, midfielder, sm fwd etc, as well as an overall player ranking. . Harris andrews ranks 2nd or third tall defender in the competition. Rich is/was last time i checked ranked 82 overall in the comp, inside the top 10% of listed/ rookied players. With zorko, andrews, martin and beams the only other lions players ranked above him.

I think a lot of people hard on Rich as he has so much talent and never got to A grade. He played in a side that normally only had 2-3 other top players for the other team to worry about. Put him in a side with 6-7 top players he would shine.
Got found out with tags when he has a great game playing through the midfield.. So to has Zorko and others.
He also does a few bad disposals each game as all players do, although gets highlighted more as they go 40-50m to an opponent. Not just a bad handball or 20m chip pass that missed someone
He has been loyal to the club and always put in. I put him in our 18 always. Puts his body on the line
averages close to 20 in 2018 around the same as Zorko and others. I agree will take over from Hodge when he goes.
Although rather use him up the field more to kick into our 50 instead of out of defensive 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back