Lions Guernsey survey results: An open letter to Malcolm Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did you include the third guernsey in the poll?

I don't want a popular vote to decide which guernsey the club wears. Especially after how the club rigged the 'heritage' guernsey to elect a guernsey that was never worn by Fitzroy.

I just want the original reinstated. With a red, yellow and blue version for away games.

We need some sensible leadership from the club, not a popular vote. Remember, we can always elect sympathetic board members. Has anyone considered launching a guernsey based campaign for election to the board?

I don't want a popular vote to decide which guernsey the club wears. Especially after how the club rigged the 'heritage' guernsey to elect a guernsey that was never worn by Fitzroy.

I just want the original reinstated. With a red, yellow and blue version for away games.

We need some sensible leadership from the club, not a popular vote. Remember, we can always elect sympathetic board members. Has anyone considered launching a guernsey based campaign for election to the board?

So basically you want what was done that resulted in us getting the paddlepop jumper? You can't rely on the "sensible leadership", nor on others to launch campaigns for board seats. If it's member-based, that means a similar fiasco can't be dumped on the members and supporters as a fait accompli in the future.

Haso is probably the best to reply as to what the third jumper means, but each survey participant rated each jumper from 1 (dislike) to 5 (like) - it wasn't "which jumper do you prefer"?

In putting forward a fresh alternative, it made it less of a "which one do you want" two horse race and more of a "what is important to you" in terms of design question - as well as some guide as to want for change.

Again, Haso is probably best to explain the brain work that went behind the survey questions themselves.

The survey was not strictly speaking, designed to get the club to run a poll (although IMO, a preferential style vote would work as long as pitfalls like the heritage jumper poll were avoided - ie. a registered member vote to avoid spambots or multi-votes), but more to show that it is not just a minority of members (or small group of outspoken internet trouble makers) who want action on this (and want to be heard).

If election to the board is what it takes to get a meaningful response as to the issue, then IMO, it is a sad indictment on the current administration. But if it comes to that, it will be done.

The club, as far as I am aware, are yet to respond to the survey results. I am hoping that is because the outcomes (and Haso's analysis) are being seriously considered. If the lack of response is simply more "head in the sand" syndrome though, and that is the general consensus at the AGM, then board accountability will be the next step. IMO, most can grit their teeth and bare another 12 months of the current design, as long as there is some suggestion of light at the end of the tunnel. If there's no light, however, we'll start to make our own.

the root issue is that the club failed to adequately consult with members on a key issue.

The jumper is a symptom, not the disease.

each survey participant rated each jumper from 1 (dislike) to 5 (like) - it wasn't "which jumper do you prefer"?

In putting forward a fresh alternative, it made it less of a "which one do you want" two horse race and more of a "what is important to you" in terms of design question - as well as some guide as to want for change.
GG pretty much sums up the core reason here, especially the bolded bit.

It's more than just 'bring bavk the old guernsey, this one sucks', it's more searching for what the froot issue is. If the Lions wasn't the issue given what we know about change I would have predicted that the current guernsey would have polled much better than the intried new one, but instead it was outperformed by this 'new' guernsey, and as whiterabbitred suggests, the old guernsey was the most popular.

The survey results suggested that a) the current lion is an issue, and b) if the club had run a preferential voting system, rather than what we are told were 'focus groups', and rather than a very simple 'yes this and no this', they might have come to a much different (and less despised) desicion.

I don't think that they will bring the old guernsey back, and I can see some merit in that at this stage, but from these results it seems that he current guernsey is also unacceptable.

There is more detailed explanation in the first 3 posts of this thread, particularly the second, if you wanted to read more about the decisions behind the survey design and the results. With a bit more tmie and preparation we could have done a bit more in terms of design and analysis, but our results from just 24 hours work is telling in itself.

The 3rd option also demonstrated that members and supporters are not necessarily change averse, effectively pre-empting any counterpoint from the Club that we will eventually warm to the paddlepop.

That the new design proved more popular than the incumbent is damning.

For the record, the details of this survey have been forwarded to Malcolm Holmes and we have asked for a response from him before the AGM this year.

Edit: argh, too slow on phone. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Guernsey survey results: An open letter to Malcolm Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back