Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership celebrations at Brunswick St Oval Fitzroy yesterday (Sunday) - a sea of maroon, blue and gold.

Thanks for posting the video.
We missed the player introductions. Arrived when the co-captains were introduced.
Other great moments also captured.
Good work.

Does anyone know why Will took the norm Smith off after accepting it?
A prominent Lions official told me at the offical Lions dinner on Saturday night, and this speaks to Will's maturity, is that the Norm is an individual award and didn't want to celebrate a personal award so has only been wearing his 'team' premiership medal since winning the Norm.

Just arrived back home in Sydney - it looks like my cat knocked my Lachie Neale bobblehead off from our living room shelf. The place that it broke is quite fitting!

Attachments

• IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Ashy was next best just because of his cleanness and effectiveness when he got it marginally in front of Cal whose hardness , judgement and finishing skills was really crucial in the majority of our goals in the first half. And he torched Blakey ( the AA champ ) who couldn't match him in the air or on the ground.

Was confident more than anything that Ah Chee would get the job done on Blakey. He’s a nightmare matchup tagging the top half back. Not only can he get the job done but he’s also incredibly strong in the air which is a nightmare for a lot of attacking half backs. Blakey isn’t that bad because he’s tall but even then he just got out marked in many crucial occasions inside fifty.

That’s not even mentioning his prolific ability to drop back at the end of quarters compared to Rayner, Gunston or Gardiner who were in that role the previous year.

He should be winning the finals best and fairest at the club champion night. He stood up and is a club legend in my mind.

Was confident more than anything that Ah Chee would get the job done on Blakey. He’s a nightmare matchup tagging the top half back. Not only can he get the job done but he’s also incredibly strong in the air which is a nightmare for a lot of attacking half backs. Blakey isn’t that bad because he’s tall but even then he just got out marked in many crucial occasions inside fifty.

That’s not even mentioning his prolific ability to drop back at the end of quarters compared to Rayner, Gunston or Gardiner who were in that role the previous year.

He should be winning the finals best and fairest at the club champion night. He stood up and is a club legend in my mind.
Totally agree.

What he did on the stats sheet was more than enough . What's a bit forgotten is that he took Whitfield , Stewart and Blakey half out of the game. Most clubs would be happy if someone did that in a total nullifying role even if they didn't get it themselves. And then we trusted him as the spare down back at the end of quarters.

He's one of our most important players . Incredible to see the confidence and assurance he now has. And he's got his kicking skills back. Most trusted in front of goal in the big games.

Upon watching the replay, this was one of the best team performances I've seen in a long time. Weirdly had a Richmond 2017 vibe to it.

Every player earnt a vote, but it's hard to go past Neale, Ash, Ah Chee, Kai and Starce.

Was on the edge of my seat waiting for Sydney to get back into it in the fourth and destroy us, but they never got close. Our squad has been called out for being mentally weak over the years, but it seems the past few Granny loses has hurt Sydney.

Hopefully they play with the same H&A form for the whole of next season, and we play them at the same time next year.

Just arrived back home in Sydney - it looks like my cat knocked my Lachie Neale bobblehead off from our living room shelf. The place that it broke is quite fitting!

I didn't realise his heel injury was so bad as to require the amputation of both feet. FFS.

I think the coaches nailed the votes and congrats to Lachie

13.5 Will Ashcroft (Brisbane)
13.5 Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
7.5 Callum Ah Chee (Brisbane)
6.0 Kai Lohmann (Brisbane)
3.0 Brandon Starcevich (Brisbane)
1.5 Joe Daniher (Brisbane)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what hat Vossy is wearing? Can’t quite work out the writing… and Fly could’ve chucked on a scarf!
Reckon their current clubs might restrict what they wear a little bit. But its so clear how happy they are

2024 Gary Ayres Award: Top 5

Player of the Finals

1. Lachie Neale: 26.5
2. Isaac Heeney: 20
3. Will Ashcroft: 18.5
4. Jai Newcombe: 15
5. Dayne Zorko: 15

Reference: https://aflcoaches.com.au/awards/ga...-player/leaderboard/2024/20250129#leaderboard

Lachie Neale
272 Games
128 Goals
2024 Premiership
2x Brownlow medal
1x Leigh Matthews Trophy
1x AFLCA Champion Player of Year
4x All Australian
5x Club Best and Fairest
1x Gary Ayres Award

I officially love Bucks.

Thoughtful, measured, fair and insightful.

Best "expert" in the game and puts smug peanuts like King to shame.
Nathan Buckley has obviously had some enormous growth as a person in his later years. Article linked here, and a podcast where the quotes came from, which i'll be listening to in the off season (once I've made my way through all the backlog of Lions content!).

He seems an intelligent, likeable bloke these days. I hope he remains that way if he goes back to coaching.

Reckon their current clubs might restrict what they wear a little bit. But its so clear how happy they are

More likely they chose not to wear one out of respect to their current clubs. Understandable considering Voss got knocked out by use just three weeks ago. Still coming in support of the club is more than enough though.

Sorry this has taken a few days, I couldn't face Big Footy until this afternoon - a bit worried what I might write I was so upset at what my team dished up on Saturday.
But that is not why I ventured onto your site today....

Congratulations on a truly magnificent performance. Not only the big game, but also throughout the year with the significant injuries your team has faced and overcome, the Hawthorn shite that your wonderful coach has had to fight to clear his name of and, what I believe in my many years of watching the game, the most magnificent finals series I have ever witnessed a team play.
Your club and team are incredible and one of the most worthy premiers I have ever seen.

May I also add a huge thank you to the graciousness of the many, many Lions fans that sat near me at the game and that I encountered on my way home after the game, to a person you were all wonderful, courteous and gracious.

My last point, you really should be celebrating back to back flags!
That dreadful advantage last year to Neale was such a Viccentric call, I'm so glad that you finally won the flag you so richly deserved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back