News Lions kits and supporter gear discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it sad that Fitzroy plays in the VAFA now and is a shadow of what it used to be? Yes. But it's also sad that every SANFL and WAFL club also plays in an inferior league and is also a shadow of what they used to be (besides Port). They had fans who lost out too. And yet, they're so rarely mentioned.

Just feels like a double standard that rationalisation for SA and WA for the big time is taken for granted, but every VFL club ought to be playing in the top league and based in Melbourne.
Aside from the absolute die-hards who fought trying to keep Fitzroy alive through the years since 1996, not many people see the FFC that exists today as the same FFC that existed back in 1996 and before. I live 1.5km from Brunswick Street Oval and go watch a couple of time a year... but it's not the same club. For most old Fitzroy supporters I know, the club either died or relocated in 1996. People made a choice: Follow the jumper and the song to Brisbane, select another Melbourne based club, or lose interest in AFL entirely.
(Apologies to anyone who is part of the current FFC who thinks otherwise!).

The fact is the AFL was born out of the VFL, which is why the Melbourne based clubs hold the right to remain. Try telling a North Melbourne or St. Kilda supporter that GWS or GC have a greater right to remain in the AFL. Based on 2023 membership numbers, North Melbourne have almost as many members as those 2 clubs combined.
Of all the newly introduced clubs, only Port got a license from the state league. The remaining clubs in the WAFL & SANFL didn't disappear, they can still be supported. Absolutely they are diminished as the semi-professional status and small salary caps mean they can't compete with the AFL, but they still exist.

We don't have promotion / relegation for poorly performing clubs because strategically the AFL wants/needs clubs in each city. If Brisbane were relegated in 2017 after finishing 17/17/18 the AFL would lose too much ground to the NRL, and where would they have been relegated to? The traditional football states could perhaps manage it, but you can't have relegation based on a clubs location.
All that aside, relocating or merging a Melbourne based club won't grow the game. A few members will stick around, but most will not. So what's to gain by removing a club from it's supporters, other than reducing the number of clubs in Melbourne? The argument that they need financial support falls completely flat when you consider the additional funding the northern clubs get (excluding Sydney).

Last edited:
i’m going to assume you weren’t a Fitzroy supporter. If you were, you’d never wish any supporter to lose their club. People had their hearts ripped out.
It was a different time, there’s now enough money to support all clubs.

To put it in a modern context, listen to Rebecca Walton at about 1:20.

The greater “problem” with more clubs is there are supporters who are less likely to see their side win a premiership. I would put this to the AFL to get more creative and celebrate wins more. Celebrate the team that wins the minor premiership. Go back to a pre-season knockout comp and give a trophy. If they go to a full reserves competition, make it real - play the final on grand final day and the MCG. I was at the 1989 reserves grand final waving my Fitzroy flag. That meant something!

Old man and family were all Roy’s until the move to Brisbane in 80’s and even they think there is to many teams.

North should’ve moved to the Gold Coast to start with. Still maintain there is to many VFL clubs and time to purge.

Sorry, but I’ve heard this a bit lately about creating things to celebrate outside a flag - what a load of garbage; who’s honestly falling for that. Unless we win a flag, there ain’t nothing to celebrate- sure wins are nice but even these cups teams pkay for; more garbage dreamt up by marketers.

Aside from the absolute die-hards who fought trying to keep Fitzroy alive through the years since 1996, not many people see the FFC that exists today as the same FFC that existed back in 1996 and before.

That's mainly from ignorance. The difference between the AFL and the VAFA is significant.

I live 1.5km from Brunswick Street Oval and go watch a couple of time a year... but it's not the same club.

In what respect? Because its not playing in the AFL?

I do think otherwise.
All that aside, relocating or merging a Melbourne based club won't grow the game. A few members will stick around, but most will not. So what's to gain by removing a club from it's supporters, other than reducing the number of clubs in Melbourne? The argument that they need financial support falls completely flat when you consider the additional funding the northern clubs get (excluding Sydney).

Agree. No Melbourne club needs or wants to merge or relocate.

But it's also sad that every SANFL and WAFL club also plays in an inferior league and is also a shadow of what they used to be (besides Port).

They still play in their original league against their traditional rivals with all their SANFL/WAFL records continuing.

Is it sad that Fitzroy plays in the VAFA now and is a shadow of what it used to be? Yes. But it's also sad that every SANFL and WAFL club also plays in an inferior league and is also a shadow of what they used to be (besides Port). They had fans who lost out too. And yet, they're so rarely mentioned.

Just feels like a double standard that rationalisation for SA and WA for the big time is taken for granted, but every VFL club ought to be playing in the top league and based in Melbourne.

Quality post. Well said.

anybody know why there isn't an actual photo of the members hat on the club shop website and we just get this concept image?
View attachment 2017832
When i checked (via a PC) there is two pages of Lions headgear.
This is the link to both pages

Long time since i got a new hat they are expensive.
The top row from page 2.
1718181312870.png

When i checked (via a PC) there is two pages of Lions headgear.
This is the link to both pages

Long time since i got a new hat they are expensive.
The top row from page 2.
View attachment 2017956
Thanks for your reply.

I was referring specifically to the tab called "Member Exclusives". If you click on that page at the top, its 90% concept images, only the polo and lanyard have actual photos
1718347165975.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Roar Deal podcast store is open. Some of the items were quite witty (especially the Olympics mug and hats). I liked the jumper best, which will probably last the test of time!

The Roar Deal podcast store is open. Some of the items were quite witty (especially the Olympics mug and hats). I liked the jumper best, which will probably last the test of time!

The Jumper is probably the only thing I would wear.
Would have been even better if it was a Hoody.

Look out for a McDonald's law suit.
The Lions boys have been calling him McMorris too, but perhaps the McDonalsds stylised M is a Mc, but look, TRD lads could a cease and desist letter, which that being the case, get in before they can’t legally sell that Morris merch and if there is attention brought to it, what a great PR opportunity for the Roar Deal with the news about their McDonalds merch which they’d no doubt stop and comply with Maccas legal letter anyway. Win / Win.

Aside from the absolute die-hards who fought trying to keep Fitzroy alive through the years since 1996, not many people see the FFC that exists today as the same FFC that existed back in 1996 and before. I live 1.5km from Brunswick Street Oval and go watch a couple of time a year... but it's not the same club. For most old Fitzroy supporters I know, the club either died or relocated in 1996. People made a choice: Follow the jumper and the song to Brisbane, select another Melbourne based club, or lose interest in AFL entirely.

Not to split hairs, but myself and I'd guess many others chose to follow our players up to Brisbane first & foremostly. Johnson, Boyd, Malloy, and so on. Plus the kicker of getting to cheer on Alastair Lynch in front of goal once again also helped me to stick fat.

I was 'sort of gunna' to start barricking for Richmond at the beginning of the 1997 season, up until the 7 minute mark of the first quarter Round 1. I remember it like it was the other the day for some reason.

I'd love if we eventually had something similar to this with a white Lion instead of the roys monogram and have the sleeves as maroon.

View attachment 2099436
Yes I much prefer this to the red we play in away now. My understanding is that the traditional Fitzroy colours were never red, they were maroon, and the only reason they ever changed to red were for the same reason the West Indies played in pink and New Zealand wore beige: for crappy 70s and early 80s television.

But those with more life experience than I will be able to confirm or deny the above 🙃

Yes I much prefer this to the red we play in away now. My understanding is that the traditional Fitzroy colours were never red, they were maroon, and the only reason they ever changed to red were for the same reason the West Indies played in pink and New Zealand wore beige: for crappy 70s and early 80s television.

But those with more life experience than I will be able to confirm or deny the above 🙃
The red is fine, personally it never feels like Brisbane but I understand it's a nice tribute for the Roys supporters. Can't see us going back to dark colours for away games as the AFL already has too many teams wearing dark colours as their referred kit.

The red for most of our away games provides contrast. I can see us wearing Maroon and navy for gather round or retro round in the future depending on our opponent.

I'd love if we eventually had something similar to this with a white Lion instead of the roys monogram and have the sleeves as maroon. Specifically that purple maroon.

View attachment 2099436
I’ve also always liked the darker blue in this jumper than the brighter blue in any of our current jumpers; same with the maroon. The duller colouring looks so much better in my view although not a fan of the white on the front of the jumper and prefer a dark yellow. Overall though outside of the white, absolutely love the blue and maroon on this jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Lions kits and supporter gear discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back