Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

How did the academy kids go? Anyone stand out?

Izzy was ok. I have seen him play better though.

57 "Leuy" was quite useful, not sure if he's Academy as the boys were telling me he's from UQ.

I see Banfield made it in the best again but not much talk about his game.

Was probably one of the better games I've seen him play in the 2s to be honest. Showed some of that old zip. Got a few touches around the ground, made the odd tackle. Was bent over wretching at the quarter time huddle and was putting in.

I thought he went ok.

I see Banfield made it in the best again but not much talk about his game.

Got family writing the reserves reports?
I thought he went ok.

Just OK... there were many better IMO...

Cal
Polec
Mayes
Harwood
Newell
McKeever

The website has Polec kicking 2 goals, but I could have sworn he kicked 3.

a) The inside out kick from traffic in the square
b) Shortly after from the boundary in the far pocket
c) From a set shot in the third quarter from in front of the scoreboard

Just OK... there were many better IMO...

Completely agree which is why I said "he went ok" ;)

Seriously though I wasn't trying to amp Toddy up too much with my comment. But I do believe it's the best I've seen him play in the 2s. So thought I'd comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harwood. That's it. The remainder showed a little here and there. Polec, McKeever, Radford, Izzy etc.

But no-one near Harwood for consistent effort and effectiveness. One of the best "don't argues" I've seen for ages.

I don't know what it is with Banfield and "best players" but maybe it can most likely be put down to a sort of coaching bluff in order to raise his confidence levels, because "best players" he was not. He was ok in patches but nowhere near knocking on the door.

Just on Mr. Harwood; before the start of the game, he did a "Dermie" and ran through a bunch of Giants players as they were breaking from their huddle to take their positions. Dished up a couple of solid bumps as he passed through and all. It was great! :D Umpy remained unimpressed, though. :thumbsdown:

Bartlett was in everything. Serious impact. Got two separate knocks to the head and just kept going. BOG. Do we get another free rookie upgrade at round 11?

Harwood was phenomenal. An absolute bull. When he wasn't sidestepping opponents he was running right through them.

Harwood was phenomenal. An absolute bull. When he wasn't sidestepping opponents he was running right through them.

I think that's exactly what we need in the senior team right now. A midfielder, sorry, a defender in Harwood who has that mongrel about him. The likes of Yeo, Golby, Redden, Rockliff don't exactly scream out as crash and bash, but I feel Harwood would do well. Just surprised to see him not get selected after he finished the year off well last season.

Bartlett was in everything. Serious impact. Got two separate knocks to the head and just kept going. BOG. Do we get another free rookie upgrade at round 11?

Got to agree with this. Harwood must come in next week. I loved his big fend, as well as evasive skills. I also liked the game of Docherty - his hands are sure and he has good disposal.

I'm getting a Drummond vibe from Docherty in that I reckon he needs to step up to senior footy to really show what he can do. Just feels like he isn't getting the opportunity to shine in the reserves environment. Ball doesn't go in our back line enough!

I'm getting a Drummond vibe from Docherty in that I reckon he needs to step up to senior footy to really show what he can do. Just feels like he isn't getting the opportunity to shine in the reserves environment. Ball doesn't go in our back line enough!

I'm curious, what is it he can do that is better than Golby or Yeo can offer at this stage? I'd like to see how he goes but adding some more inexperience to our backline right now seems like a bad idea. He looked nothing more than a solid footballer during the NAB. Is he the defender that will get involved up the field and deliver it inside 50 or is he just got an accurate 50 metre kick and will just get his job done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Reserves 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back