AFL Club
GWS
2012-2014: 44 - 50 On main list plus up to 9 rookies
2015: 44-48
2016: 42-46
2017: 40-44
2018: 38-42
2019: standard 38 player list

So at the moment we have 44 players apart from izzy who is not counted as being on the main list as he came from a different sport. Also Judging from recent comments from Silvagni we are likely to keep on two of our experienced players for one more year most likely Cornes and Power.

So with an extended list and 2 retirements into coaching we have 8 spaces but given we will need to make room for 4 first round draft picks, zone selections such as Jed Anderson, and about 4 experienced players either as uncontracted players or traded for. It would seem that we will still need to let a few players go with the possibility in some cases of redrafting them as rookies.

At the moment there are a few guys who just haven't shown enough in the reserves to suggest they are up to it, there are also a number of guys who have been very unlucky with injury which may put there position in doubt so at this stage these are the likely candidates:

Kurt Aylett
Stephen Clifton
Tim Golds
Joshua Growden
Gerard Ugle

On the rookie front we had only 4 rookies from the start of the year, rather then the full 9 players that we could of had: Cooyou, Frost, Phillips, Segrave. Of those both Segrave and cooyou could struggle to hold there spot. so that would mean there are still 7 rookie spots left so plenty of room to move guys from the main list who have talent but will take longer to develop such as a player like Tim Golds.

I think Golds, Growden and Ugle, being the 17 year old recruits, are contracted until the end of next year so we will have to swallow their contract if we delist them early. Not really ideal.

Where are you getting the five round 1 picks from? I count two (our standard, plus Adelaide's comp pick) plus one right after it in our second rounder.

I think Golds, Growden and Ugle, being the 17 year old recruits, are contracted until the end of next year so we will have to swallow their contract if we delist them early. Not really ideal.

Where are you getting the five round 1 picks from? I count two (our standard, plus Adelaide's comp pick) plus one right after it in our second rounder.

sheedy said some time back that they would have 5 in 1st round, i reckon they will get them from the mini draft.

To avoid what happened to the Suns this year, we need to replace the two experienced players we're likely to lose with at least 3 senior players - at least.

And I'm talking about players with at least 100 AFL games.

If we can pick up a couple of extra big bodies from the state leagues, all the better.

But Sheedy has claimed that we will have 5 first rd selections but not sure where we get that 5th 1st rd selection.
Why would we need another 5 first round players on the team? We have too many as it is. Now the mini-draft picks should be traded for experienced players. Get some 25 year olds in the team.

Why would we need another 5 first round players on the team? We have too many as it is. Now the mini-draft picks should be traded for experienced players. Get some 25 year olds in the team.

This is where list management runs into cap management.

Good 25 year olds, the type you trade first rounds picks for, arent cheap. They are players on their third contract, and they get paid $250k a year per, minimum.

First round draft picks get paid about $90k per.

Cameron, Greene, Coniglio, Mohr and Giles all need to get paid.

We've got less cap room than people think.

It seems Chad Cornes will definately play on... Brogan and Power would have big question marks. GWS should be talking to a lot of AFL ruckmen out there at the moment... Jamar, Warnock....

This is where list management runs into cap management.

Good 25 year olds, the type you trade first rounds picks for, arent cheap. They are players on their third contract, and they get paid $250k a year per, minimum.

First round draft picks get paid about $90k per.

Cameron, Greene, Coniglio, Mohr and Giles all need to get paid.

We've got less cap room than people think.

Yes, but then we draft another lot of "Cameron, Greene, Coniglio, Mohr and Giles" who are talented but not fit and strong enough to compete at the AFL level for a full season(s) but who will all want a big payment eventually due to their talent.

We should have at least a million free on the salary cap next season with Scully's pay starting to go down. Trade at least the two mini picks for two guys on around $250k should be fine.

I would actually be happy if the Giants don't draft again for a couple of years and start to trade for experienced players. Though taking one "best available" at each draft is obviously what you want to do. Not five. The team is unbalanced enough as it is. You could almost get away with not drafting for about four years with the team the Giants have.

Three is the AFL mandated minimum, including any rookie upgrades (I can't see that happening this year as we can upgrade two at the start of the season anyway due to our lack of veterans).

Yeah, I forgot about that. Cooyou could be elevated. What I am saying is hypothetical anyway, no way they don't draft players. But do they really need to?

I would actually be happy if the Giants don't draft again for a couple of years and start to trade for experienced players. Though taking one "best available" at each draft is obviously what you want to do. Not five. The team is unbalanced enough as it is. You could almost get away with not drafting for about four years with the team the Giants have.

Three is the AFL mandated minimum, including any rookie upgrades (I can't see that happening this year as we can upgrade two at the start of the season anyway due to our lack of veterans).

I heard Scully is on 2mil this year and dropping back to under a mil per year for the rest of his contract, smart move! frees up cap space there...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but then we draft another lot of "Cameron, Greene, Coniglio, Mohr and Giles" who are talented but not fit and strong enough to compete at the AFL level for a full season(s) but who will all want a big payment eventually due to their talent.

Mohr and Giles are actually fit and strong enough already. They also deserve a pay rise from their current minimum wage to AFL-journeyman salary of probably around 200k a year.

As this year has shown, if you pick the right kids, they can play in year one.

And if we draft another Cameron, another Greene and another Coniglio, Im not happy. Im ecstatic.

Mohr and Giles are actually fit and strong enough already. They also deserve a pay rise from their current minimum wage to AFL-journeyman salary of probably around 200k a year.

As this year has shown, if you pick the right kids, they can play in year one.

And if we draft another Cameron, another Greene and another Coniglio, Im not happy. Im ecstatic.

I actually don't agree with any of this :) I completely see where you are coming from though.

Mohr and Giles are strong and skilled enough, but not fit enough to be consistent across the season.

As much as our kids are the right kids and are brilliant, none of them are ready to play a full season of AFL. Except maybe Cameron and Greene. Of course, they all have been playing a full season of AFL, but look where that has got us. :/ The last two games have been an utter disaster and I fear it's the start of a trend.

Though it doesn't help that the team has been so unsettled with different grounds everywhere. Hopefully after the Fremantle game and two home games in a row then all east coast games they will settle. That six week stretch will really show what this team is made of and the kind of players we need for year 2. Hmm, if I go to the St Kilda game at Etihad then I will be seeing all of them. Maybe I should do that. Will be a fun six weeks, or a terrible nightmare.

Cornes clearly keen to play on in 2013

Less than a year after announcing his retirement from AFL at Port Adelaide, Chad Cornes says he is keen to back up for a second season with Greater Western Sydney in 2013.
The 32-year-old, who marks his 250th game on Sunday against Hawthorn at the MCG, on Wednesday poured cold water on rumours he'll call it quits at season's end.
"I definitely want to keep playing next year," Cornes said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cornes-wants-to-play-afl-for-gws-in-2013-20120704-21h5z.html

Didn't want to start a thread so I'll post this here.

If true its a bit weak by Izzy, he was always going to be better in his second year than his first but the fact he wants to jump before then is just poor form.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...n-to-nrl-in-2013/story-fn2mcuj6-1226421039580

It's a topic of constant speculation and the whispers are growing louder that Israel Folau is set to scrap his AFL experiment to return to the NRL next year.

Folau has two years to run on his lucrative contract with AFL new boys Greater Western Sydney Giants but according to Fox Sports rugby league expert Matthew Johns, his struggle to adapt to his new code will not run past its second year.

"Israel Folau will be out of his GWS contract by September," Johns said on his Triple M breakfast radio slot on Monday morning.

"They're negotiating a release right now, and next year he will be playing in the NRL in Sydney."

According to Johns, several NRL clubs will vie for the former Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos superstar, with Penrith and Canterbury-Bankstown thought to be in the market.

If true its a bit weak by Izzy, he was always going to be better in his second year than his first but the fact he wants to jump before then is just poor form.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...n-to-nrl-in-2013/story-fn2mcuj6-1226421039580

Those guys on MMM talk a lot. It's meaningless from them.

Still. I can't help think Folau is a bit of an albatross around GWS's neck. Even though Folau has shown more than Patton this year (though that is unfair).

This is crap, because Izzy doesnt need to sign a release.

If he walks away from GWS back to league, all the AFL can do is not pay him.

He's shown me enough that he can be part of the Land of the Giants forward line.

Sheedy stirring things up by suggest we now interested in Cloke

"You've got Cloke coming up to play and he's off contract," Sheedy said. "It's not often a team has a player off contract and they fly him up for us to come and see. That's pretty generous from Collingwood. There will be a tour (of the Giants' accommodation at Breakfast Point). Don't worry about that.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-as-tigers-brood/story-fnca0u4y-1226436183860

Sheedy also indicated that GWS will look to pick up about 5 experience player and 5 players from the draft:

The Giants will have some room to move in their salary cap due to the retirement of Dean Brogan, with Luke Power and James McDonald also tipped to end their careers.

The club had previously said it would focus on developing its young key forwards Jeremy Cameron and Jonathon Patton, but Sheedy said some big names were needed to bring crowds to Skoda Stadium.

"We've got to go and find four or five players to help these young players," he said.

"We're going to pick up another five or six young players in the draft, but two or three of your experienced players will retire at the end of the year and we'll go after what we think is available.

"Whether it's Cloke or another person or three, that's the sorts of players you look at in the end because they're drawcards.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142696/default.aspx

Good to hear - we have to learn from the Suns' second year and do it better - they brought no one new in for season 2 - it doesn't work because you're only a couple of injuries away from disaster and we can't afford a second season of beltings - we must show more next season - the players are out there.

We're losing 3 experienced players, we need to bring five in - it's a must.

Looks like Power would be prepared to go around for another year if thats what the club needs:

"I'll have a talk with (GWS football manager) Graeme Allan at the end of the season, and we'll discuss what he thinks is best for the club and best for our young players.
"Because really at the end of the day, my job is to help develop our young players."
Read more:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/power-loving-life-as-gwss-big-brother-20120802-23h7s.html#ixzz22MNs7a1B

Will Clifton be retained? Must admit I was expecting more from him...
I'd say more likely than not.

Spent a lot of time on the sidelines (fractured wrist round 1 in reserves, knee injury in his first game back) but was then pretty solid in his couple of AFL games so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Management 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back