List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Still 9 players whose contracts expire this year, and with decisions pending. With our season ending unfortunately last night, you’d think the club would be announcing any delistings and extensions in the coming weeks? Also any players leaving will also be announcing that soon, unless of course the club they are going to is still playing in the finals

According to a new thread on the D&T board, Matt Kennedy has been told to look elsewhere (he's OOC next year) by the Blues. Is he someone we could/should look at as an inside mid depth player?

Ex-GWS academy, moved on at a time when we had surplus inside mids, but that's changed. The downside is that he's not overly quick, but the plus side is that he can rest forward and kick goals. Would expect he'd be cheap if Carlton want to move him on.

Otherwise, outside of Macrae and Parker (who are ageing), I'd still be keen for us to throw our hats in the ring for Alex Davies from Gold Coast. Only played 7 games this year, stuck behind Anderson/Rowell/Flanders/Miller so looking for opportunity. 193 cms, good tackler, could form a powerful centre bounce combination with Tom Green going forward.

According to a new thread on the D&T board, Matt Kennedy has been told to look elsewhere (he's OOC next year) by the Blues. Is he someone we could/should look at as an inside mid depth player?

Ex-GWS academy, moved on at a time when we had surplus inside mids, but that's changed. The downside is that he's not overly quick, but the plus side is that he can rest forward and kick goals. Would expect he'd be cheap if Carlton want to move him on.

Otherwise, outside of Macrae and Parker (who are ageing), I'd still be keen for us to throw our hats in the ring for Alex Davies from Gold Coast. Only played 7 games this year, stuck behind Anderson/Rowell/Flanders/Miller so looking for opportunity. 193 cms, good tackler, could form a powerful centre bounce combination with Tom Green going forward.
Davies has just re-signed with the suns for another 2 years. Personally like Kennedy but like you alluded to lacks pace, and suspect Kingsley wants more speed in the midfield not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really surprised they are moving Kennedy on, he is developing into a really nice player. I'd love him on our list. As always, somewhat dependant on what it costs in salary cap and draft capital

Davies has just re-signed with the suns for another 2 years. Personally like Kennedy but like you alluded to lacks pace, and suspect Kingsley wants more speed in the midfield not less.
Yeah, just saw that about Davies re-signing after I'd posted. Damn.

Kennedy's an unusual player to pigeon-hole in my view. Clearly slow, but has other attributes, such as he runs forward into holes well, and can play a linking role, as well as playing forward to mark and kick goals. To me, a role similar to what Cal Ward was playing previously. Can we play Green and Kennedy together? Maybe not - which is probably the issue at Carlton, playing Kennedy and Cripps together. In which case, he's not the best for us. But if Rowston's back is an issue, we have damn little backup to Tom Green ... so Kennedy would be good coverage for him.

I'm not really seeing any mids available out there who have speed and are available - funnily enough, clubs want to hold onto them!

I think our midfield was just too young to win a flag this year. Kennedy night help.
We can play Callaghan, Kelly as wingers more, have Green, Kennedy, Peatling, Cogs, Kelly, Callaghan, Ward as 7 players rotating through 5 positions, some time as HFF as well. Maybe if all fit one is sub or misses out.

Pez decision will be influenced by his partner (GWS Netballer) Jamie Lee Price.
Fingers crossed she stays with the Giants. He is too important for us and such a great fella for our culture, really hope he stays.
Jamie Lee has signed on with Giants netball until 2026. Hopefully a sign that Pez is going to stay here with her.

Isaac Cumming looks to be on the move to SA.

Last edited:
Looks like Elliott Himmelberg will be going to the Suns.

All but rules him out of coming to the Giants.

Perryman's partner has signed for 2 years, it's could be Cumming the only one leaving.
Thought I'd mention, this article from 19/12/2023 has Jamie Lee as signed till 2026 so it's not a recent signing by the looks of things, so not sure whether that changes anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back