List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

When we've got 3 freakishly talented midfielders, a big bodied powerful mid like Wines at the stoppages is vital. I'd be annoyed if we traded him unless he really wanted to go or we got a godfather deal.
Everyone here complains about Ken failing to win Premierships, but the List Management threads are full comments about trading players when their trade currency is at max.

Like trading away Ollie Wines, who would be very important in winning a flag now for a draft pick that may help us win a flag in a couple of years. But that won't happen, because when that pick is hitting peak form people will be talking about trading out a late 20s Butters and Rozee for multiple first round picks...

Hypothetical: If another club were willing to offer 2 low 1st round picks for Butters this off season would you consider it?

Would have to be pick 1 and 2.

Would probably want 3 top 10 picks to even consider it which no team would have or offer to trade him.

Pretty rare a top 5 player in the comp under 24 becomes available.

What is going on in here??

Wines is approaching 30, he's not getting anything like a first rounder.

No.

If we get a 1st round pick for Houston ( who's not going either) Ollie becomes an upgrade.

ie. We get 8 from Essendon and pick 8 lands Norths target we take 2 from them they get 8 plus Ollie.

Ollie on his own isn't a first.

"We're hoping we can extract one or two of those. Jack (Viney's) part of that."Alastair Clarkson confirms the club will be targeting veteran leaders in the off-season, hoping to land a Jack Viney, Ollie Wines, Cal Ward type of player.

"We're hoping we can extract one or two of those. Jack (Viney's) part of that."Alastair Clarkson confirms the club will be targeting veteran leaders in the off-season, hoping to land a Jack Viney, Ollie Wines, Cal Ward type of player.

Clarkson is talking broadly about half a dozen players and admits his strike rate is about one in ten.

He's sending out the call in case anyone is interested, and a Chewy316 said should be pulled up by the AFL on it. But the rules don't apply to Clarkson.

His best bet is probably Luke Parker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club will talk to Butters the year prior to his contract finishing up and becoming a restricted free agent which is 2026 so they'll talk during or towards the end of 2025 to see where he stands. If he's contemplating a move at the end of his contract they would ask if he'd do it at the end of 2025 instead for more capital in return because as a free agent they'll get compensation. Mind you, that could very well be a 1st round pick quite easily but, they could potentially get minimum 2 1st round picks if they trade prior. Hopefully though, Butters remains Port through & through like Robbie Gray did and the core remain close. With Bergman, he's contracted until end of 2025 but he's not a free agent so they could get capital still if he decides.

As for Lukosius, my thoughts are potentially Todd retires this season due to too many concussions. Port will get 3 years, I believe, salary cap support due to it even though he signed until 2029 and they may look at Lukosius to fill that slot. Whether that happens or not, who knows.

Personally, I like Toddy and it's a shame he hasn't been right this season because he's got, in my opinion, a very high footy IQ and great field kick. Could of played more half forward up the ground but, it is what it is. Hopefully I'm wrong and he comes good and proves everyone wrong.

Hypothetical: If another club were willing to offer 2 low 1st round picks for Butters this off season would you consider it?
I assume by “low draft picks” you actually mean “high draft picks” - as in two top 10 picks.

I’d consider one top 5 pick and another in the 5-10 range. Anything less than that is a hard no

Food for thought with Houston. Now, firstly, I don't want Houston to leave but if he wants to head to Victoria and they work something out then my thoughts on potential clubs would be either Carlton for their 1st round pick and Ashton Moir. Possibly another pick or most likely future pick(s) next year included. However, Carlton are also seeking capital draft for father son picks etc which they may get via trading themselves. Dan Houston would actually fit Carlton and what they require more than anything. The other option is Saints. Which won't really be 1st round puck but potentially either Philipou (not as likely) or most likely Nasaih Wanganeen-Milera swap with picks exchanged. The Saints one possibly less likely though. I believe a potential trade with Saints would be next season with Bergman if he does decide and then it "might" be Nasaih.

No other Vic club fits. I highly doubt Dan would consider North.

Melbourne, well, this could of potentially been a good moment to attempt bringing Kozzy to Port plus picks. I'm surprised Kozzy hasn't tried because with the Indigenous culture and programs with Port especially up NT, it would be more fitting for him and his partner who came from NT. Plus it's Port.

Keep an eye on the Carlton one though and Ashton Moir this weekend he debuts.

I assume by “low draft picks” you actually mean “high draft picks” - as in two top 10 picks.

I’d consider one top 5 pick and another in the 5-10 range. Anything less than that is a hard no

That's the right answer.

You get to the back end of the 1st round which becomes the high end on the second round after concessions it's a lottery.

He has to be replaced with another mid that's going to take 3 years to develop and if you can't guarantee the outcome of that development so at least with 2 picks inside the high end of the draft you at least have a chance of creating depth.

In this draft you need to be certain of getting Smith who's like for like to replace him and Draper.

That's the right answer.

You get to the back end of the 1st round which becomes the high end on the second round after concessions it's a lottery.

He has to be replaced with another mid that's going to take 3 years to develop and if you can't guarantee the outcome of that development so at least with 2 picks inside the high end of the draft you at least have a chance of creating depth.

In this draft you need to be certain of getting Smith who's like for like to replace him and Draper.

If Port could get Sid Draper they'd be laughing. With him growing and getting established, working with the likes of the Hornet will be a good combination. Highly doubtful though. Crows might be playing for him as they need mids.

Food for thought with Houston. Now, firstly, I don't want Houston to leave but if he wants to head to Victoria and they work something out then my thoughts on potential clubs would be either Carlton for their 1st round pick and Ashton Moir. Possibly another pick or most likely future pick(s) next year included. However, Carlton are also seeking capital draft for father son picks etc which they may get via trading themselves. Dan Houston would actually fit Carlton and what they require more than anything. The other option is Saints. Which won't really be 1st round puck but potentially either Philipou (not as likely) or most likely Nasaih Wanganeen-Milera swap with picks exchanged. The Saints one possibly less likely though. I believe a potential trade with Saints would be next season with Bergman if he does decide and then it "might" be Nasaih.

No other Vic club fits. I highly doubt Dan would consider North.

Melbourne, well, this could of potentially been a good moment to attempt bringing Kozzy to Port plus picks. I'm surprised Kozzy hasn't tried because with the Indigenous culture and programs with Port especially up NT, it would be more fitting for him and his partner who came from NT. Plus it's Port.

Keep an eye on the Carlton one though and Ashton Moir this weekend he debuts.
I'd love Houston and Bergman to stay forever but the reality is that may not happen

But taking a long term strategy in mind, if we turn Houston and Bergman into Phillipou, NWM and Perryman (as a free agent), we are better imo. Maybe not immediately, but set for 10 years (leave Perryman out of that 10 year view).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back