List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to pick up Kobe Ryan , 20 yrs old and 3rd in the Magarey. Surely would be better than some of those guys who put up the white flag last week

Reality is I think it's past him by.

Not sure what the knock on him is but he's been a consistently good footballer who you would think would at least get on a list somewhere for about 3 years.

That’s your idea, but the reality is very different.

Teams get stoppages and then use mids, where they’ve moved all their better stoppage players / dangerous users anyway.

I love the idea of small forwards crumbing goals galore but the reality is small forwards are often up the ground, or if they’re back inside 50 there’s a lot of players there anyway and it’s just Tom stewert / lever taking intercept marks.

Every position on the ground is worth well more than small forwards, this isn’t just my opinion from observing the game, the entire afl has held this opinion for a long time. any small forward that’s capable will get moved up the ground, hell people talk about Pickett being able to play midfield where he’s not even remotely close to the good mids much less the elite mids.

If he’s one of the top 5 or so small forwards in the game, but wouldn’t even be a top 5 mid in our team, why does he get moved into the midfield ? The reason is because melb , and other teams that seek to do the same, view impact in the midfield as more important.

Again, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get good or gun small forwards where you can, they absolutely can make a difference, it’s just not as important as other positions.
I wouldn’t mind revisiting this conversation after the weekends results. I think that small forwards who can push up high to outnumber contests in the midfield, flood back with pace into space and kick goals, as well as pressure and run are what half of the teams left in finals are built on. Geelong, hawthorn, gws all play like this. The fact that we are playing mcentee, Evans and narkle is a massive problem for our list going forward as none really do any of this. If there is one area we need to upgrade going forward it’s this I think.

You think lifestyle is the same in Adelaide as it is in Melbourne?
Depends on who you are, I prefer Adelaide personally, great beaches, amazing eateries and bars. Amazing holiday home destinations within 60-90. Best wine regions in the world 60 mins from doorstep.

Only thing different from a footy perspective is the media worship

I wouldn’t mind revisiting this conversation after the weekends results. I think that small forwards who can push up high to outnumber contests in the midfield, flood back with pace into space and kick goals, as well as pressure and run are what half of the teams left in finals are built on. Geelong, hawthorn, gws all play like this. The fact that we are playing mcentee, Evans and narkle is a massive problem for our list going forward as none really do any of this. If there is one area we need to upgrade going forward it’s this I think.

Geelong gws and hawks all have exciting inform kfs. Hawks emergence as a genuine team perfectly coincides with them finally having several competitive tall targets for the first time since buddy / Roughead / gunstan.

Geelong gws and hawks all have exciting inform kfs. Hawks emergence as a genuine team perfectly coincides with them finally having several competitive tall targets for the first time since buddy / Roughead / gunstan.
Yet their smalls do a lot of damage, where ours don’t. Even Sydney’s win was dominated by smalls, pressure and chaos ball in the forward line. Ours do t have pace or skills, aside from Rioli. It’s infuriating.

It doesn't make sense.

Houston doesn't have it at stoppages unless you want a guy blinding kicking out of it.

Perryman thinking he's going to walk into a midfield of Rozee and Butters, duall AA, the Hornet possible GOAT, Wines a Brownlow medalist and Drew an excellent tagger is borderline crazy. Perhaps at the end of the rotation at best.
We are absolutely short of small role players, across the wings, forwardline and backline, who can also go in the middle and have some impact from time to time. This is a coaching decision, and also we lack the cattle to do it.

SPP is the only one that can actually play his role well, and then get in the middle and have an impact. We lost Amon, but he wasn’t too bad. And Bergman should get some midfield time, but we have been too desperate to have him full time in the d50.

Perryman can lock down a wing or half back and play it well, and could have a crack in the middle. If at half back, he and Bergman could share a position, and then play in the centre square for the other time. This would allow Rozee/JHF and Butters forward more, and you’d get a greater team output with this, over playing Mead who struggles in any other position than around the ball. It would also make us more resilient if one of our full time mids goes down. I reckon it’d help in keeping Bergman long term too.

it’s why Wanganeen Milera or Kozzie are so appealing to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on who you are, I prefer Adelaide personally, great beaches, amazing eateries and bars. Amazing holiday home destinations within 60-90. Best wine regions in the world 60 mins from doorstep.

Only thing different from a footy perspective is the media worship

Adelaide is a great place for grown ups to live.

If I were a 20yr old in 2024 I'd probably think otherwise. Kids just don't know better.

Yet their smalls do a lot of damage, where ours don’t. Even Sydney’s win was dominated by smalls, pressure and chaos ball in the forward line. Ours do t have pace or skills, aside from Rioli. It’s infuriating.

Nobody is arguing our smalls aren’t crap or aren’t a weakness, or that upgrading them isn’t a good idea.

All I’ve ever said is that small forward is one of the least valuable positions on the football field, and that the afl entirely treats it as such, which again isn’t my opinion, it’s evidenced based.

I’m all for improving our small forwards.

Last edited:
Nobody is arguing our smalls aren’t crap or aren’t a weakness, or that upgrading them isn’t a good idea.

All I’ve ever said is that small forward is one of the least valuable positions on the football field, and that the afl entirely treats it as such, which again isn’t my opinion, it’s evidenced based.

I’m all for improving our small forwards.
It might be that they are not valued in terms of contract dollars but the evidence of the value of smalls as goal kickers and pressure players in finals paints a different picture. Across 4 games on the weekend 44 goals were kicked by smalls and 29 by tall forwards. That doesn’t include rucks like English or full time mids like Cripps and Bont, but does include heeney who plays forward a lot.

All of the talk in the media during the week was that finals are won on pressure and ground ball, which is why Geelong were confident of winning, why hoyne from champion data didn’t rate us and why hawthorn are looking so damaging.

Geelong got 11 goals out of their small forwards last week, 13 if you include Bowes. We got 4 and that includes Rozee and jhf.

I have never really got the Adelaide being inferior to Melbourne thing, as due to having a number of Vic relatives on my father's side of the family I spent plenty of time in Melbourne from a very young kid until I was in my 40's.

My memory of the place as a kid and a teenager were large areas of Melbourne were dark and dingy and full of run down turn of the century (and older) timber framed buildings that should have been demolished years before they actually were.

The beaches were the biggest turn off though, they were beyond f****** disgusting, with every man and his dog burying their rubbish ( including faeces ) in the sand where others could be sitting only an hour or so later.
I can remember going to St Kilda in my late teens and the smell was horrendous, so the old man said let's go to Williamstown it will be better, and it was worse!

Some suburbs didn't even get flush toilets until the 1970's and you could smell the truck collecting and replacing the long drop cans from miles away, particularly on a hot day.

Melbourne is obviously a highly rated modern city now but it's an absolute pain in the arse trying to get from point A to point B and not only in peak traffic, a 30 min drive here can be 3x that over there, so give me Adelaide's life style any day.

It might be that they are not valued in terms of contract dollars but the evidence of the value of smalls as goal kickers and pressure players in finals paints a different picture. Across 4 games on the weekend 44 goals were kicked by smalls and 29 by tall forwards. That doesn’t include rucks like English or full time mids like Cripps and Bont, but does include heeney who plays forward a lot.

All of the talk in the media during the week was that finals are won on pressure and ground ball, which is why Geelong were confident of winning, why hoyne from champion data didn’t rate us and why hawthorn are looking so damaging.

Geelong got 11 goals out of their small forwards last week, 13 if you include Bowes. We got 4 and that includes Rozee and jhf.
Can't see why we can't pick.up a goal scoring small forward out of the SANFL as a rookie, there are a few out there Hone, Wilkinson , Gore, Gasper and Lowe.

I don't expect much in the year or two post hinkley. There's been so little lack of AFL game time to the young up and comers due to gold passes and the selection of favourites the last number of years it's not funny.

Apart from the young core guys there isn't much upcoming young experiece particularly the smaller blokes who are a dime a dozen and should be in and out of the side on form rather than anything else, key possie players are more likely to benefit from a stretch of time so obviously it's harder to get into the side, but also harder to go out.

This lack of development of these smaller players is what will hinder a new coach and where many other teams are much stronger and advanced than port. That's not on the SANFL, it's on the team selection committee.

What is Harry Boyd's story? Not too often a ruckman can win the Magarey. His statline for the season looks ridiculous!

I mentioned him in the Magarey thread as one to look at given he was one of the favourites for the Magarey.

He's 26yo, joined Norwood from Shepparton back in 2021.

I was thinking you would look at him if he won the Magarey as a ruckman if we are serious about off-loading Soldo. Would give us a break glass in emergency option behind Sweet and Dante.

He's a bit short for an AFL ruckman at 198cm but he's powerfully built at 108kg. He had 200 more hitouts and 50 more clearances than anyone else in the SANFL competition in 2024.

Interestingly, Dante did alright against him in our two games against Norwood - Boyd outpointed him both times but there wasn't much in it.

I don't expect much in the year or two post hinkley. There's been so little lack of AFL game time to the young up and comers due to gold passes and the selection of favourites the last number of years it's not funny.

Apart from the young core guys there isn't much upcoming young experiece particularly the smaller blokes who are a dime a dozen and should be in and out of the side on form rather than anything else, key possie players are more likely to benefit from a stretch of time so obviously it's harder to get into the side, but also harder to go out.

This lack of development of these smaller players is what will hinder a new coach and where many other teams are much stronger and advanced than port. That's not on the SANFL, it's on the team selection committee.
Isn’t this Koch grief? The SANfL rules are stifling our young rostered kids development

I expect us to go a step or two back to go a few steps forward over the next few years.

It's a pity because if Carr is coach he will get a bollocking from the media, but I hope he will get games into guys like Lorenz, Anastasopoulos, possibly jackson/Scully if the club sees a future for them, and any new recruits.

Every year under Hinkley when we get injuries at the business end of the year, we have so few players we could trust in AFL games because they don't get some decent footy into them.

What is Harry Boyd's story? Not too often a ruckman can win the Magarey. His statline for the season looks ridiculous!
Too short and too fat to get anywhere near an AFL field as a ruckman.

I have never really got the Adelaide being inferior to Melbourne thing, as due to having a number of Vic relatives on my father's side of the family I spent plenty of time in Melbourne from a very young kid until I was in my 40's.

My memory of the place as a kid and a teenager were large areas of Melbourne were dark and dingy and full of run down turn of the century (and older) timber framed buildings that should have been demolished years before they actually were.

The beaches were the biggest turn off though, they were beyond f****** disgusting, with every man and his dog burying their rubbish ( including faeces ) in the sand where others could be sitting only an hour or so later.
I can remember going to St Kilda in my late teens and the smell was horrendous, so the old man said let's go to Williamstown it will be better, and it was worse!

Some suburbs didn't even get flush toilets until the 1970's and you could smell the truck collecting and replacing the long drop cans from miles away, particularly on a hot day.

Melbourne is obviously a highly rated modern city now but it's an absolute pain in the arse trying to get from point A to point B and not only in peak traffic, a 30 min drive here can be 3x that over there, so give me Adelaide's life style any day.
This is all opinion based, and is probably getting away from the original comment/argument, which was that Geelong is a HUGE attraction for Melbourne born-and-raised players, over an Adelaide club like Port. Sure, Adelaide has some nice aspects as a city, but if given a choice, a Melbourne boy is always going to pick Geelong, being close to home, family, & friends. Their strength as a club is an added attraction.

That being said, the counter-argument that Port get on with improving as a club to make it a top destination club is also true. Win a grand final, and stay in the top echelon like Geelong has, and players will want to be part of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back