Expansion List of Victorians playing in the NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think too many kids ever think 'well I'm gonna switch codes cause I can early slightly more in AFL without leaving Australia' or 'Im gonna play soccer cause I might be able to be filthy rich instead of just normal rich playing RL/AFL'

Kids playing any code usually just want to play for the top flight club they support.
The AFL is the only comp where, no matter how good they get, that probably wont be possible.

I don't think too many kids ever think 'well I'm gonna switch codes cause I can early slightly more in AFL without leaving Australia' or 'Im gonna play soccer cause I might be able to be filthy rich instead of just normal rich playing RL/AFL'

Kids playing any code usually just want to play for the top flight club they support.
The AFL is the only comp where, no matter how good they get, that probably wont be possible.

If your refering to the National Draft there is nothing stopping a player switching clubs after his contract has expired.

If your refering to the National Draft there is nothing stopping a player switching clubs after his contract has expired.

So basically, if you the best junior player in the land come draft time, the only realistic chance to debut for the club you love, is for that club to be the crappiest club come draft time.

Fantastic.

Pretty poor effort from the so-called sports capital of Australia.:thumbsdown:

Not really! Nobody wants their kids to play thugby in Victoria because the imported pommie game stinks and is going nowhere fast.:D

What sport does a 'girthed individual' get to play in Melbourne? seriously, not everybody is ripe for A.Rules.
League offers another avenue for different (Questionable: most average) body types.

Im guessing you mean Danny Wicks, he plays for Newcastle. A front row prop weighing 118kg. (scored that 60m solo try)
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/theres-more-to-this-knight-than-a-flippin-party-trick/2008/03/27/1206207304121.html

dannywicks_wideweb__470x166,0.jpg

"Somersault … Knights prop Danny Wicks proves he has plenty of agility for a big man"*Caption

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im guessing you mean Danny Wicks, he plays for Newcastle. A front row prop weighing 118kg. (scored that 60m solo try)
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/theres-more-to-this-knight-than-a-flippin-party-trick/2008/03/27/1206207304121.html

dannywicks_wideweb__470x166,0.jpg

"Somersault … Knights prop Danny Wicks proves he has plenty of agility for a big man"*Caption

Thats the one. I also checked his wikipedia page and it says he is 190cm and ways 110kg. Then i ran it through a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculator and it came up with 30.5 which is considered Obese.

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Thats the one. I also checked his wikipedia page and it says he is 190cm and ways 110kg. Then i ran it through a BMI (Body Mass Index) calculator and it came up with 30.5 which is considered Obese.

Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

110-118 who cares..

What is suprising is that you actually use BMI to measure obesity. You are living in the 90's if you take BMI seriously, it is a VERY flawed method of measuring health !

Throw you BMI calculator out the window Mister !

Mate if you think league players aren't super fit than you've swallowed too much of the BS about AFL players running 5000000 kms a game, sorry I mean jogging. A player in AFL who makes 6 tackles is cosidered having a "workrate".. that's embarassing. I'd back a league player against a rules player any day of the week. I remember reading an article early last year when Essendon were in Sydney (for the pre-season game at North Sydney) and they went to train with Manly and their assistant coach, former captain (O'donnell? I think) said his players were intimidated by the Manly players.

:)

Mate if you think league players aren't super fit than you've swallowed too much of the BS about AFL players running 5000000 kms a game, sorry I mean jogging. A player in AFL who makes 6 tackles is cosidered having a "workrate".. that's embarassing. I'd back a league player against a rules player any day of the week. I remember reading an article early last year when Essendon were in Sydney (for the pre-season game at North Sydney) and they went to train with Manly and their assistant coach, former captain (O'donnell? I think) said his players were intimidated by the Manly players.

half your game is all about tackling, aussierules is about a lot of stuff, including kicking . . . why is league calling itself 'football' when you guys hardly kick it?

there's mainly throwing the ball backwards . . . that's how you score. Anyway, tackling is more a feature of the rugbyleague game, but that doesn't mean that AussieRules doesn't involve tackling, it just involves a lot of other stuff too. I'd rather play rugbyleague than aussie rules, having played both, aussierules is a tougher game, it's a 360 degree game, you can get hit from any direction, whereas with rugbyleague, there are no surprises, you know when you're getting hit.

Mate you are in Disneyland... the point that you can get hit in any direction just invites snipers, most acts in AFL considered tough are actually cheap shots. When it comes to true toughness Aussie Rules isn't fit to lace up RL's boots. From so called AFL hardmen like Brereton and Matthews would be ripped apart by guys like Steve Roach or Les Davidson.

there's mainly throwing the ball backwards . . . that's how you score. Anyway, tackling is more a feature of the rugbyleague game, but that doesn't mean that AussieRules doesn't involve tackling, it just involves a lot of other stuff too.[QUOTE}

And there's mainly kicking in AR but that doesn't mean there is no kicking in league. :)

tougher game, it's a 360 degree game, you can get hit from any direction, whereas with rugbyleague, there are no surprises, you know when you're getting hit.

It's not tough getting hit or how you get hit... it's the way you react from the knock.

Besides it takes more courage to go forward knowing you are going to be hit then getting hit by surprise:rolleyes:

Unfortunately AFL players still look half hearted and non committed when attempting a tackle. The upside is if a touch footy team is in their area they would go OK, just have to work out the offside rule.;)

yes because they are meatheads!
There are only a handful of nrl players with the aerobic capacity to play afl the reality is professional nrl players are no where near as professional as afl players.....its not their fault it just comes down to money!the good ones in the nrl end up going to england anyway!

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion List of Victorians playing in the NRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back