Live All Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Murphy has been a far better rebounder out of defensive 50 than all of Scotland, Deledio and Gibson. Would also be interesting to see the metres gained stat, which I'm sure Murph would have all over the other contenders. Clearly the selectors rate attacking drive highly in their HBF selections. Well done Bob :thumbsu:

Ablett dominated all year surrounded by kids.

Exactly. Stand alone better than Judd too... the aura Judd has for the best player in the competition is like a virus. The guy is loved by males, simple as that. Too bad he can't perform when it matters though... check out his performances this year against the better opposition too!

Ablett still comfortably the best, most complete midfielder in the comp and has been since '07 if you ask me. Congrats on the AA Cpt. appointment Gaz, well deserved.

Let me rephrase that for accuracy. SJ played the vast majority of this season at HF, with rotations through the midfield only early in the season. He is a true HFF, and among the best 2 in the AFL this season. The AFL's fetish for the midfielder continues, and will do so on Brownlow night.

As will Geelongs, when Kelly/Selwood/Corey poll highly in the B&F.

Selwood-2010
Ablett and Enright-2009
Corey-2008
Ablett-2007
Chapman-2006
Corey-2005
Ling-2004
Scarlett-2003

So from 8 Geelong B&F's, 2 have been defenders. The rest have been midfielders. Point being, why is it considered only that the AFL officials have a hard on for members? All coaches do as well.

This year, Thompson, Rockliff, Ablett and Cotchin have all won their B&F.

The AFLPA also voted a midfielder as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd MVP in the league.

The Herald Sun voted a midfielder as the best player.

And the Coaches Award was being dominated by midfielders.

Maybe midfielders are actually the most important players in the game??!?

Feel Scotland is unlucky, should have got in ahead of R Murphy, Murphy was out injured, Scotland played every game...

Ivory Tower syndrome

Murphy missed a whole 1 game through injury.....:eek:

R Murphy extremely lucky. S Fisher. Birchall, Gibbs, Deledio all ahead of him IMO.

Murphy has been the equal or better than all of those, Gibson and Scotland are the one's that had better claims to team than Murphy.

The above sort of comments prove the 80-20 rule applies in almost all parts of life, even big footy where only 20% of people have a clue.

I'm loving those angry with Murphy + Swan on the flanks naming Fyfe in their stead.

What's wrong with Fyfe? His stats are comparable to Murphy's (averages the same amount of goals and only three or four less disposals, in a worse team), and he's played large parts in the Freo forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is just hilarious the degree to which people hate Matthew Scarlett.

The first 15 games of the year he was untouchable. Clearly the most dominant defender in the competition

I'm actually laughing reading this. Gibson, Jamison, Merrett and McPharlin were all streets ahead of Scarlett in the first half of the year.

Scarlett's a star, but he was selected purely on reputation. 2011 was one of his worst seasons in years and years.

Bob Murphy has been a far better rebounder out of defensive 50 than all of Scotland, Deledio and Gibson. Would also be interesting to see the metres gained stat, which I'm sure Murph would have all over the other contenders. Clearly the selectors rate attacking drive highly in their HBF selections. Well done Bob :thumbsu:

HBF also has to be able to defend - Bob struggled in this area all year.

They have to squeeze as many midfielders in as possible because it would be embarrassing if the Brownlow Medallist isn't in there.

So so true this :thumbsu:
Imagine the red faces if the BM didn't even make the AA side, I'm really finding it hard now to even respect the AA selections

Has anyone here actually seen Bob Murphy when he has the ball in his hands?? If so they would see he is one of the classiest players in the league, evasive, creative, great kick and very rarely loses one on one contests. Stood out like Dogs balls in our very poor backline this season

Rob Murphy had a great season, best season he's ever had. Its a pity most people here didn't notice because he was playing in a shit team

HBF also has to be able to defend - Bob struggled in this area all year.

Rubbish, great one on one player. Which players have had great games on Bob this year???

More problems than usual this year. In my opinion-

Scotland over Murphy
Gibson over Scarlett
McPharlin over Glass (Glass has been fantastic though)
Thompson over Boyd (as above)
Goldstein over Petrie

Then all the obvious positional problems. Crazy to think that if they actually picked the side properly, Marc Murphy wouldn't have made the 18.

Milne was a token selection after years of service.

Completely disappears in big games and against good opposition.

Crap. Milne had a great year, and deserved his AA.

Those saying Murph and Boyd didn't deserve it, suck shit :p.

I would have gone with:

B: Gibson - McPharlin - Davis
HB: Scotland - Reid - Fisher
C: Murphy - Mitchell - Ablett (c)
HF: Swan - Cloke - Thomas
F: Johnson - Franklin - Goodes
R: Cox - Judd (vc) - Pendlebury
INT: Goldstein - Dal Santo - Thompson - Kelly

In: Gibson, McPharlin, Scotland, Fisher, Goldstein, Thompson, Johnson
Out: Glass, Scarlett, Murphy, Enright, Petrie, Boyd, Milne

I wanted to fit Enright in but went with Kelly instead for the last bench spot. 7 changes is the most I've had I think. It was harder to pick a team this year, especially the defence so it's hard to really say guys like Glass, Scarlett and Enright shouldn't be in. They had good seasons.

Murphy is going to be unfairly targeted now, thought he was more of a borderline squad selection but another who still had a good year.

Don't understand why people are rubbishing Scarlett's selection. He has had a stellar year - playing mainly as a link man but still capable of shutting down a big forward (absolutely smashed Dawes in Lonergan's absence in round 24) when required.

Steve Johnson was absolutely robbed. If Swan and Murphy didn't have good enough years to make the midfield they shouldn't be named at all, let alone on the half forward line and taking positions away from the likes of Johnson, Fyfe and Embley.

Milne was a token selection after years of service.

Completely disappears in big games and against good opposition.

He has had a very good year and was our leading goalkicker, he also doesn't disappear anymore in big games than Steve Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Live All Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back