News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kayo has a lot going for it. It's pretty reliable now and you get to watch other things like MotoGP and F1. I only hope there are provisions in place for the increased traffic.

if you only have it during the afl season say 6 months instead of 12 you could knock half that to $150 per year which isnt the absolute worst i suppose.

The issue for me isn't the dollars, it is about taking away the game from the poor and ordinary. If the wealthy and stupid (those who really can't afford it) subscribe, then FTA and affordable access is gone.

I feel quite strongly that water, air, education, medical and gatherings of social importance/ culture are readily available for all. F' Kayo, F' Foxtel and F' $1m pay packets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unmetered AFL was my last reason for keeping Telstra. I guess it was always too good to last forever.

$5 Kayo monthly is great value and very sensible from them from a business sense and a PR sense. They've turned a massive negative of removing AFL Live Passes into positive press releases for themselves. By the time Kayo switches over to $25 a month people will have forgotten what they're missing out on.

Yeh Ive just found out how to watch it in the Middle East;

It appears I have to pay $199 to watch AFL this year from the ME but I can only watch it on my mobile phone. With the different time zones, I'ii just try and watch the game highlights via the AFL app instead.

You can also stream direct through your Smart TV via wifi

The issue for me isn't the dollars, it is about taking away the game from the poor and ordinary. If the wealthy and stupid (those who really can't afford it) subscribe, then FTA and affordable access is gone.

I feel quite strongly that water, air, education, medical and gatherings of social importance/ culture are readily available for all. F' Kayo, F' Foxtel and F' $1m pay packets.
Yeah i agree in principal - its a travesty that limited-overs international cricket + select bbl matches are behind paywalls. The only thing ill say is that kayo is much more accessible than foxtel sports so this isnt the tragedy that it wouldve been a few years ago. Hopefully Murdoch ends up dropping the sports rights like he dropped 20 century pictures to Disney so we can get better (and more ethical offerings)

How much data does Kayo Sports use?
Kayo's data usage is fairly standard for a streaming service. You'll use 2.5GB of data per hour watching at 720p, and 3.25GB per hour at 1080p.

But it's worth noting that using SplitView will multiply your data usage. For example, watching two games simultaneously will double your hourly data usage. Two 1080p streams will use 6.5GB per hour, three will use 9.75GB per hour, and four will use 13GB per hour.

If you want to watch 3 games a week online that is approaching 9 hours. Multiply that by 4 and that is 36 hours a month.
You’re watching 3 games a week on your phone every week?

There’s 4 games on free to air tv every week.

Standard Definition (SD)
1 hour
360p/480p
2 hours
360p/480p
1 screen0.3GB/0.5GB0.6GB/1GB
2 screens0.6GB/1GB1.2GB/2GB
3 screens0.9GB/1.5GB1.8GB/3GB
4 screens1.2GB/2GB2.4GB/4GB

High Definition (HD)
1 hour
720p/1080p
2 hours
720p/1080p
1 screen1.5GB/3.25GB3GB/6.5GB
2 screens3GB/6.5GB6GB/13GB
3 screens4.5GB/9.75GB9GB/19.5GB
4 screens6GB/13GB12GB/26GB

Remove this Banner Ad

News Live Pass scrapped - Kayo now sole streaming option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back