Lloyd, Lucas and Johns. Is there room?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
If all of Lloyd, Lucas and Johns stay fit this year (fingers crossed) can they all play in the forward line at the same time or would they have to rotate off the bench? If too many big guys play inside the forward 50 that can crowd up the space and hinder all forwards, but then again having all three playing would challenge even the tallest and strongest defence.

Play all three (particularly with injuries) and have rotation. Scotty can also move down back to help in defence if needed

Lucas half back line or play a 5 man foward line and let him float around the centre.

Can you just imagine Lucas playing loose man in defence he's rack up the possies.

P.S I don't usually encourage putting players behind the ball.

In an answer to the thread question, as Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Heck Yes". Can't see a reason why they can't all fit in ther at once, especially against undersized opponents like the doggies. The only proviso would be that Lucas would have to play more a traditional CHF spot, starting from around the 40m line and working away from goal.

it can work it will just take time. lucas has to play the chf role. lloyd can play his usual role out of the square with the lead. Why not play johns in the alaister lynch role and leave him to wrestle with his opponent in the square. he would have the third best defender and you can go long and direct to him at the top of the square if the lloyd option is covered.

or johns gets fitter and then playes with lucas up at chf.

agree with everything angus said except for cj playing CHF.

lloydy and cj have been working on dummy leads throughout the whole pre-season. as long as neither of them get greedy, three 3 big me could really work well.

scotty will start about 40m from goal and lead up the ground. i think that he'll play the barry hall type roll.

It CAN work but if it WILL work is another matter.

I think if we are to play them at the same time we need to surround them with quick crumbers and Hird.

Johns is 1 dimensional, and rarely gets the ball if he doesn't mark it.
I believe he is the most overhyped, under deliverer i can remember at our club, but as others have pointed out to me, hes inexperienced and this is his first pre season.

Another problem with playing them together is it makes it harder for us to rest our ruckmen forward, and Hille in the past has proven to be dangerous when playing forward.

If we did want to rest Hille and Laycock in the forward line, we need to put Johns on the pine.

I'm not for moving Lucas to the backline as he is one of the best CHF's in the game and we also have one of the best CHB's now, so why move them.

surely though cj is a better forward than hille or laycock. therefore if our ruckman are resting on the bench more, they are going to be able to run out games better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is room if we get our delivary into the forward 50 right.Altough the questions you have to ask are.
1)With Lloyd,Lucas,Johns and Hird in the forward line are we going to be exploited too much on the rebound.
2) Would we be better off with the resting ruckman in the pocket? Hille and Laycock are both reasonably good on the lead and it gives us an option for another mid/small forward on the bench which means we can go with a 3 tall forward line plus Hird or go with Lucas,Lloyd and another crumber.

No theres not room. We played all 3 and Hird in the NAB cup and lost to Carlton. We rest Hird and Johns, Lloyd boots 7 Scotty gives a solid hand and we beat West Coast in Perth. The fact we drafted Gumbleton 2nd was a joke considering the guy probably wont get a game for 5 years if we keep this list or we wont get enough out of the others to justify picking them in the first place.

Same problem down back. We had Fletcher, Bradley, Bolton, McPhee all playing tall so we turn Lovett-Murray into a 5th tall defender and then recruit a 6th tall defender in Michael.

Theres no point having half a dozen tall marking forwards if we have midfielders that can't consistently deliver accurate kicks to the big men!

so i guess when lloydy and scotty retire we should just chuck in a kid who isn't ready. by drafting gumby we have solidified our spine for the years to come.

it's great that we picked up big mal as it means we don't have to play kepler at CHB. Do you remember the game against richmond/richo last year where richardson kicked 3/4 of their score??? he wouldn't have done that on big mal.

Gumby is an exciting prospect and will be an addition in years to come. By the time he gets around to becoming a regular contributor however we could of blooded a quality young midfielder like Selwood or gotten a gun ruckman in Leunberger who would easily replace Laycock and allow Hille more time forward, and then drafted a key forward in 2 years time when we might actually need to think about needing another one up and running soon.

Luenenberger wouldn't make our side for years. hille and laycock are still young and don't forget paddy. we drafted plenty of smalls in davey, jetta and houli. getting selwood wouldn't have made a difference. we would just be having the "should bachar play round one" argument only referring to selwood.

you have to give young KPP time to develop. gumby has until 2009 to develop and get his confidence up in the VFL. he has two long years in the gym ahead of him.

I would pick Houli above Selwood due to the formers pace even though Selwood has good leadership potential, but I think Houli does as well.

We could of had Houli and Selwood. Look at our midfield, Camporeale/Hird last year, Johnno X 2 out of form and getting on, Peverill Magoos player at best, Watson and Stanton are the only quality we have there and Monfries and Lovett in bursts, add to that Watson cant kick and we are in dires!

Gumby is an exciting prospect and will be an addition in years to come. By the time he gets around to becoming a regular contributor however we could of blooded a quality young midfielder like Selwood or gotten a gun ruckman in Leunberger who would easily replace Laycock and allow Hille more time forward, and then drafted a key forward in 2 years time when we might actually need to think about needing another one up and running soon.

And what makes you think you will draft one with any where near the talent of S.Gumbleton?

We could of had Houli and Selwood. Look at our midfield, Camporeale/Hird last year, Johnno X 2 out of form and getting on, Peverill Magoos player at best, Watson and Stanton are the only quality we have there and Monfries and Lovett in bursts, add to that Watson cant kick and we are in dires!

Did i miss something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd, Lucas and Johns. Is there room?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back