Opinion 2025 Thoughts, expectations and predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest question is how many teams are worse than us? It’s a very even season so we are going to have to have a good preseason and work harder then ever to be competitive next season.

Richmond and West Coast probably the only obvious ones?

I would like to see the bombers make some tough calls on contracted players like Collingwood did.
Parish, laverde, shiel, wright and setterfield should all be assessed.
I hope the club is trying to do a Horne Francis with Harley Reid.

Prediction:

The list is quite young and we should have some natural improvement from progressing these players

Adding Tsatas + 2 top 10ish picks to the best 22 is a significant talent infusion even if staying younger.

The team should be better than last year. Hard part is so will a lot of other teams so does our progression with a fairy similar list elevate us above any other teams poised to make a jump

2025 will be career defining for half our list. If we don’t see improvement across the season, there will be immense pressure on coaches and the board. We are Essendon and are not renowned for patience, I hope Barham has the strength to
keep us on this rebuilding path, even though it’s not the type of rebuild a lot would like to see.
If there's no improvement by the end of 2025, Scott should be under pressure.

Yes - it can be done.
However, I have no confidence in the EFC doing it.
Neither did the Tigers supporters. They wanted the coach sacked the year before they won their flag.
Not saying we can do it but it happens.

Neither did the Tigers supporters. They wanted the coach sacked the year before they won their flag.
Not saying we can do it but it happens.

They did finish bottom and second bottom in 07 & 09.

You could argue (quite strongly) they don't win those flags without Cotch & especially Dusty.

Same as Melbourne with Trac & Oliver. It feels like those top 5 draft picks are essential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could argue (quite strongly) they don't win those flags without Cotch & especially Dusty.

Same as Melbourne with Trac & Oliver. It feels like those top 5 draft picks are essential.

Team has 2x prime age or younger mids picked in the top 5 in Tsatas and Parish if we’re being pedantic.

Team has 2x prime age or younger mids picked in the top 5 in Tsatas and Parish if we’re being pedantic.

+ McGrath

But they were probably misses (too soon for Tsatas).

The longer you spend down the bottom, the more chances you get at Cotchins/Martins/etc.

Dees & Tigers certainly both missed their fair share too

+ McGrath

But they were probably misses (too soon for Tsatas).

The longer you spend down the bottom, the more chances you get at Cotchins/Martins/etc.

Dees & Tigers certainly both missed their fair share too

Oh Mcgraths a spud. Purposely didn’t include him

Parish despite his flaws has lived up to his position and I expect Tsatas too.

The trick is total elite talent right. I don’t think we’re doing too bad on the youth side with Caddy+ Kako in the forward line and Tsatas + FRP this year in the mids.

Backline is more questionable but talls take time and Roberts looks good so think we’re actually in a good position if we can get minutes into these young guys (and fix the midfield mix)

It's hard to say at the moment how we'll go as we haven't seen all the list changes yet. And we don't know how some of the injured players will go over the summer (Reid, Ridley etc).

However, I think we'll be a little better, maybe finish somewhere between 6th and 10th. I think we'll see some more improvements in the plan, and players like Durham and Caldwell should be able to run the season out better.

And Merrett will be AA captain next year.

Did not realise there was no chance that we will ever have a chance to find a star player.
**** me.
It may not happen for 5 years or ten years or more but it can happen as well. That is the point.

Did not realise there was no chance that we will ever have a chance to find a star player.
**** me.
It may not happen for 5 years or ten years or more but it can happen as well. That is the point.

Mate, relax.

I never said we were no chance. If we want a Cotchin/Dusty/Trac/Oliver, we’re more likely to find one with a top 5 pick than a top 10/15. I’m sure you don’t disagree with that?

Mate, relax.

I never said we were no chance. If we want a Cotchin/Dusty/Trac/Oliver, we’re more likely to find one with a top 5 pick than a top 10/15. I’m sure you don’t disagree with that?
Of course there is a thing called FA .
Caddy looks good for a pick outside the top 5.
As far as superstars go the top end helps but so does the draft year.
You can also trade picks and that will shortly be two years into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2025 Thoughts, expectations and predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back