Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL) 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah sounds lyk something bourkey would do.
stav and mawson will both stay at south but i believe mckee is looking for a new home and will go to the highest bidder.
if the Hickleton rumour is true he wont last longer than a season at shore...cant see him fittin in wit the boys from that neck of the woods.
newcomb will be in the wilderness for another 5 years at least if they last that long....especielly if there recruiting more hoods in the mould of the morrison boys and bury that you say brady and wight are :confused:. but what other types are you gonna get to go play footy there.

Stavanooter, mckee and mawson r throwin themselves around like a package deal. All 3 one club, whoever comes up with the most $ wins.
St Albans are the frontrunners there. Don't be surprised to hear a rumour from Forrest regarding those 3 and Buckland also from the swans. Well done to Dale Amos on the VFL role, what a gun.
Bury will do well in gfl if fit, played at st albans 4-5 years ago and did alot there. Hickleton is a wildcard, as an outside player he might do well in GFL on the flanks and the big grounds - runs hard but just doesnt like it in tough, have to wait and see.
Brady and Whight both fresh out of u18s, smaller bodied but like it tough, if Newcomb are pinning there slender hopes of a victory on those two then its going to be an even longer season than i thought for the Dinosaurs. Blue West, North Shore and Newcomb should all play a round robin over the interleague weekend so at least then they can taste some success.

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOONA

rumour has it that ben cousin's 2nd preference if not picked up in the draft was to come play at grovedale, altough negotiations have stalled after the grovedale brains trust baulked at bens request of $150 per game match payments plus an orange gatorade at half time of each game, anybody able to shed some light on this newsbreaking story?

Stavanooter, mckee and mawson r throwin themselves around like a package deal. All 3 one club, whoever comes up with the most $ wins.
St Albans are the frontrunners there. Don't be surprised to hear a rumour from Forrest regarding those 3 and Buckland also from the swans. Well done to Dale Amos on the VFL role, what a gun.
Bury will do well in gfl if fit, played at st albans 4-5 years ago and did alot there. Hickleton is a wildcard, as an outside player he might do well in GFL on the flanks and the big grounds - runs hard but just doesnt like it in tough, have to wait and see.
Brady and Whight both fresh out of u18s, smaller bodied but like it tough, if Newcomb are pinning there slender hopes of a victory on those two then its going to be an even longer season than i thought for the Dinosaurs. Blue West, North Shore and Newcomb should all play a round robin over the interleague weekend so at least then they can taste some success.

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOONA

yeah i heard st albans offered stav a fair bit of cuckalush actually.
i wasnt saying wight and brady were there marquee pick ups just didnt no heaps about them and had heard they had a bit of potential but also got the same word as u about the undiscipliness of the two.
i dont rate hickletons chances of being able to stamp any kind of authority in the gfl as a forward, especielly as he is a leading forward and would be playing in a side (north shore) that doesnt have a host of quality ball useres that would be slamming it down his throat.

yeah i heard st albans offered stav a fair bit of cuckalush actually.
i wasnt saying wight and brady were there marquee pick ups just didnt no heaps about them and had heard they had a bit of potential but also got the same word as u about the undiscipliness of the two.
i dont rate hickletons chances of being able to stamp any kind of authority in the gfl as a forward, especielly as he is a leading forward and would be playing in a side (north shore) that doesnt have a host of quality ball useres that would be slamming it down his throat.

if you want hickleton to stay at gfl level better throw some decent cash at him coz came to leopold start of this year, played first game in the 2's then packed his bags and went back to banno again. not sure whether he found it too hard or it was just out of his comfort zone. interesting if he does give it another crack.

if you want hickleton to stay at gfl level better throw some decent cash at him coz came to leopold start of this year, played first game in the 2's then packed his bags and went back to banno again. not sure whether he found it too hard or it was just out of his comfort zone. interesting if he does give it another crack.

He's best off staying at Bannockburn. About 5 years ago, he did two pre-seasons with GWSP, signed a clearance form each year and then both times decided to stay at Bannockburn. Obviously anything away from the bush is too hard for him.

He's best off staying at Bannockburn. About 5 years ago, he did two pre-seasons with GWSP, signed a clearance form each year and then both times decided to stay at Bannockburn. Obviously anything away from the bush is too hard for him.

I'm sure this is true for Sam Hickleton but i believe the rumours are of his younger brother Zach being the Hickleton looking at North Shore. Was on the Falcons list and moved to Inverleigh last year. If it is Sam however, I can't see him leaving the comfort of the bush.

I'm sure this is true for Sam Hickleton but i believe the rumours are of his younger brother Zach being the Hickleton looking at North Shore. Was on the Falcons list and moved to Inverleigh last year. If it is Sam however, I can't see him leaving the comfort of the bush.
Zach would have no problems playing gfl very good young footballer good luck to him if he goes gfl but he would probably better off going to a side that is going to be playing finals so he can get the best out of himself.

I am an ex GWSP player living out of the district at the moment. Seems they have had some big name players over the past few years but cannot get to the next level? Anyone shed some light on the club and it's happenings for me.

Also Josh Dore at Leopold - I knew Josh a few years back and he was a good player - any good this year? I reckon once he settles in he will be a classs act in the GFL - a great bloke too.

lara r talking 2 jack hollmer. hollmer will play there if he is not on geelongs vfl list. they r also in talks with a ruckman from the edfl

lara r now very close 2 signing former bomber aaron hennenman he is training there 2nite still after a ruckman have a few on the go lara will b the big improvers of the comp will b pushing top 5

Henneman played a couple of years in the Yarra Valley, joining other bombers in Moorcroft, Haynes and Bullen with Silvan. A man mountain (needs a big body just to cart his ego around!), playing ruck/forward. Didn't set the world on fire, but still a big obstacle for locals and his size created some referred pressure.

i heard form a very reliable source that a Colac Tiger is fielding a very generous offer to join Ben Harris and Lara cats in 09. Something in the vacinity of 20k a year........... With Bens persuasive talk it just might be a reality!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i heard form a very reliable source that a Colac Tiger is fielding a very generous offer to join Ben Harris and Lara cats in 09. Something in the vacinity of 20k a year........... With Bens persuasive talk it just might be a reality!!!!!!

No way that Lara would pay anyone 20K a year, especially a non-coach.

would that in any way be his brother adam harris?? might have to pay him that much just to travel up and back from colac for training and game days. but 20k for one player is a bit rich, paying one player that much would not leave much room for other player payments unless they have a money tree growing at the snake pit...

I seriously doubt that:thumbsdown:

yeah it is all speculation at the moment nothing will be set in concrete until round 1 2009 when teams take the field. im sure there will be plenty of other names floated up for lara as there will be for other clubs. lara may challenge top 5 next year, no team can be written off at this time of year as teams change considerably from year to year.

I am an ex GWSP player living out of the district at the moment. Seems they have had some big name players over the past few years but cannot get to the next level? Anyone shed some light on the club and it's happenings for me.

Also Josh Dore at Leopold - I knew Josh a few years back and he was a good player - any good this year? I reckon once he settles in he will be a classs act in the GFL - a great bloke too.

yeah josh fitted in well at leopold this year, added an extra cog to the midfield and had a decent year. started off a bit slow adapting to the change in league but came on pretty well as the season progressed. will be alot better next year after doing a full pre-season with the club and josh will definitely be an important member of the side. could push for interleague if he is consistent.

I can let you know that it is not Adam Harris - could be one of the finds of the season from all reports if they can get the deal done - believe me Ben is really turning the heat up and has been down to Colac for meetings with this particular player

I can let you know that it is not Adam Harris - could be one of the finds of the season from all reports if they can get the deal done - believe me Ben is really turning the heat up and has been down to Colac for meetings with this particular player

My guess would be your talking about jake carmody. every year GFL clubs chuck at least 15k at him. the reality is he is a very loyal player to the CFNC and after breaking his wrist last year would be keen to make amends! Ben is still mates with a lot of the blokes at Colac, so when his having "a meeting" with Tiger players, they probably see it as a casual beer with an old mate. It is a very tough ask to get any Colac player to leave for another GFL club as most the blokes are close mates. I could be wrong, but if i am, i stand corrected!

Adam Jago from GWSP & Chris Moreland from BPH to Newtown.
Paul Chambers GWSP is going Overseas.
Interesting to read in the paper who clubs have picked up but they never mention who is leaving.:thumbsdown:

Adam Jago from GWSP & Chris Moreland from BPH to Newtown.
Paul Chambers GWSP is going Overseas.
Interesting to read in the paper who clubs have picked up but they never mention who is leaving.:thumbsdown:

Chambers not going until after the halfway point of next season. Believe the Moreland one is far from a done deal.

yeah it is all speculation at the moment nothing will be set in concrete until round 1 2009 when teams take the field. im sure there will be plenty of other names floated up for lara as there will be for other clubs. lara may challenge top 5 next year, no team can be written off at this time of year as teams change considerably from year to year.

You can write grovie off right now. They'll be hoping nth shore are as ordinary as this year otherwise it could be another spoon for the tige's. Actually does anyone know who has the most wooden spoons in the gfl? im gonna say it'd be outta grovie,west and maybe newtown?

well i just did the research so ill answer my own question. This is the list of clubs and there wooden spoons.
bell park-2, 1995,1998
colac-0
grovedale-3, 1993,1999,2003
lara- 1, 1997
leopold- 1, 2004
newtown- 4, 1992,1994,2000,2001
north shore- 1, 2008
st albans- 3, 2005,06,07
st joesephs- 3, 1983,1987,1991
st marys- 0
south barwon- 3, 1981*,1989*,1996
geelong west- 3, 1985,1990,2002

sides that have come last that no longer play in gfl, east geelong-1979. north geelong-1980,1982. thomson-1984. ammos-1986,1988.
*-1981 and 1989 barwon finished last so i added them onto south barwon's record

well i just did the research so ill answer my own question. This is the list of clubs and there wooden spoons.
bell park-2, 1995,1998
colac-0
grovedale-3, 1993,1999,2003
lara- 1, 1997
leopold- 1, 2004
newtown- 4, 1992,1994,2000,2001
north shore- 1, 2008
st albans- 3, 2005,06,07
st joesephs- 3, 1983,1987,1991
st marys- 0
south barwon- 3, 1981*,1989*,1996
geelong west- 3, 1985,1990,2002

sides that have come last that no longer play in gfl, east geelong-1979. north geelong-1980,1982. thomson-1984. ammos-1986,1988.
*-1981 and 1989 barwon finished last so i added them onto south barwon's record
well done matho:D:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back