Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say newtown didnt hav the depth in 06.. yet they won the 2s flag?? whats your thoughts on that, shouldnt they be the ones pushing for selection or were they too young/not ready?

yeah fair point but our top 21 players were not as strong as the previous year. Alot of our twos players did play ones during the year.
I could go on with things like Wilde wasnt fit and Jay bett wasnt there and etc etc
Thats where we lost our depth, at the top half of the 1'side.

Two things I want to raise.

With the GFL/BFL beginning later then usual, and possibly even longer, do you think clubs may have to adjust there training programs or even alter their preparation for the season? We could be facing a possible 11 round season, so if that’s the case, the season may start as late as June. That means that clubs will commence pre-season training now and will train for around 5 months before the season starts.

Secondly, speaking to a few people in parts of Victoria (Bendigo, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Ballarat) and it looks like that some regions won't even get a season up and running due to the drought, so WE should consider ourselves fortunant. Country football for this year is basically ruined and this may have some major consequences to most leagues in the future. Leagues will lose money, clubs will lose money and will result in another large exodus country footy will experience clubs folding or merge due to financial insecurity. Its important that the GFL/BFL play this year, even if its only for 11 rounds because it will maintain sponsors, clubs, players and facilities for the coming seasons. A league such as GDFL (this is not an attack at the GDFL), which looks like it won't field a competition, will lose players to rival leagues and will find it difficult to secure and retain the players for next season.

The CDFL are laughing at the moment. The are reaping rewards of being able to confirm that their season will start on time, which results in sponsorships to continue and quality players entering the league. That is a particular league which may enhance its reputation and performance, not only for this year but coming years. I guess there is always someone that benefits from another persons misfortune.

Having spoken to somebody who is works for COGG sporting grounds department, the whisper is that there may not even be a GFL season at this rate, the BFL is the only one that looks a chance at this stage, as they have 3 or 4 grounds that are playable, as compared to 1 or 2 in the GFL/GDFL.

Steven O'Dowd will be trying hard to get a season up and running otherwise he better start looking for a new job.

yeah fair point but our top 21 players were not as strong as the previous year. Alot of our twos players did play ones during the year.
I could go on with things like Wilde wasnt fit and Jay bett wasnt there and etc etc
Thats where we lost our depth, at the top half of the 1'side.

Yea fair enough, how many of those 2s players do u think are capable of playing consistent 1s footy if given the opportunity? hows wilde traveling this time of year anyway with his body?

Steven O'Dowd will be trying hard to get a season up and running otherwise he better start looking for a new job.

He may find that his hands are tied, unless we get a huge drop of rain there arent many other options. Skilled Stadium is one, but in the end the main priority of Skilled is to keep it in the best shape for AFL games and GFC training, so the number of games would be limited IMO.

I would of thought the GDFL would be more chance of playing as the league has the money to buy in water.
I hear they are putting in $40,000 for each of the 7 grounds they are trying to get up and running.

Can anyone confirm this?

I would of thought the GDFL would be more chance of playing as the league has the money to buy in water.
I hear they are putting in $40,000 for each of the 7 grounds they are trying to get up and running.

Can anyone confirm this?
obi,
how can you buy something that just ain't there??? what are you going to buy, people's drinking water? if it doesn't rain, there is no water mate, simple.... doesn't matter how much money you have got. i'm sure they would be met with some strong opposition if they tried that....

obi,
how can you buy something that just ain't there??? what are you going to buy, people's drinking water? if it doesn't rain, there is no water mate, simple.... doesn't matter how much money you have got. i'm sure they would be met with some strong opposition if they tried that....

You can buy recycled water and yes im with you obe if anyone can afford to do something like that its the GDFL. l also heard that the GFL is pushing its start date back to May 5th like the GDFL are. Anyone heard that????

I found out last night that the GFL will kick off the 5th of May, three grounds will be used (Lara, GWSP and Colac) and that the Grand Final will be played the sunday after the AFL Grand Final so we can play every round.

Good luck to Leopold who will have to travel at least 20 km each week to play a game of footy and welcome back friday night footy!!

I found out last night that the GFL will kick off the 5th of May, three grounds will be used (Lara, GWSP and Colac) and that the Grand Final will be played the sunday after the AFL Grand Final so we can play every round.

Good luck to Leopold who will have to travel at least 20 km each week to play a game of footy and welcome back friday night footy!!

Is that a fact whispers??? or a rumour?

Whispers I would like to see where you are getting information from. The GDFL will start on the 5th May. They are watering at least 3 grounds in Geelong and hoping others will be watered outside the district eg. Werribee, Inveighleigh, Bann. I agree with pre season players can not do a 5 month pre season players will break down. In regards to training I know the clubs which are getting watered have been told no training on them, where are clubs meant to train they will have to look at other types of training maybe

I know a few local clubs have already adjusted to the delay and are training once a week until late Feb. The Geelong Aquatic Centre is booked out most nights with footy clubs along with local gyms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds drastic down ther. I am from Northern NSW, things are very dry also, but I haven't heard anything like that yet.

Have a young guy whose family has just moved here from Bannockburn.

Anyone know anything about their Under 16's ?

i no the young fella and the family quite well..and do u mean bannockburn U/16s?? well if u do there not much chop...if i remember correctly they were in divi 6 and didnt make the finals last season.

apparently jay bett lost some fingers in a blender accident making margaritas.....will be out for half a season

Haami Williams to coach belmont lions in GDFL has anyone else heard this.has two or three going with him from ammo's as well as a premiership ass. coach who had a year off last year.

Haami Williams to coach belmont lions in GDFL has anyone else heard this.has two or three going with him from ammo's as well as a premiership ass. coach who had a year off last year.
This would be an excellent signing for Belmont. Haami Williams has the ability to build a team from the bottom. In recent years Belmont has gone backwards but a few years back they looked like they were a club on the improve.

Good sources tell me Nth Shore is on the up this year. Big things to come from Robertson, Nicholls, Brody, Matthews, Lynch and Chubb:) :thumbsu:

Simply not true. I actually have asked him that very question personally and he said he wasnt coaching Belmont.

Unless things have changed since then.

does anyone know anything about the rumour that there are a few people down at Grovedale not happy with the way Menche has gone about things. I have heard rumours that some player are not happy with his lack of follow up, organisation. Very slack in general.

Can anyone add to this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back