Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did read it idiot but he was like 19 or 20 when he went there so i doubt he was the coach!! i believe he was given an assistants role to justify the cash he was on so pipe down...
selective reading fool, you're good at that......we will see how brad performs in the gfl this year!!!!

he will obviously be playing for nothing considering he has only come from a sub standard competition.
;)

Doesnt look good for footy season. Already GDFL pushed back and GFL. BFL looks like starting on time.

Couldnt see anything in there about the GJFL, i just skimmed over it, but if the GFL, BFL and ]"that other league around Geelong" are in doubt, surely the Juniors wouldnt have a hope in the world of playing...which is a kick in the shins for them, think of all the juniors playing around Geelong missing out on a year of football, doesnt do really well with the development of junior footy around the region...does it?

First time on here. Been reading and some of you blokes don't know much. First yes Brad Edwards was coach of Belmont. Secondly some of the best players come from GDFL just a few names:thumbsu: Lewis, Fopani, M Stewart, Barbaro, Grgic, Ricky, R Law C. Hemly how many do you want me to mention. Get it right boys the GDFL MAKES THE PLAYERS THEN THE GFL steal them.

First time on here. Been reading and some of you blokes don't know much. First yes Brad Edwards was coach of Belmont. Secondly some of the best players come from GDFL just a few names:thumbsu: Lewis, Fopani, M Stewart, Barbaro, Grgic, Ricky, R Law C. Hemly how many do you want me to mention. Get it right boys the GDFL MAKES THE PLAYERS THEN THE GFL steal them.
shane jack, tom mullane - grant, ross dillon etc etc.

Surely you are kidding, he is possibly one of the worst playes ever drafted to an AFL club, and never did anything in the GFL.

True I agree but he still played one game one more than me and most likely you. What about the others they are very very good players arent they. How many Bf have they won!!!!!!:)

selective reading fool, you're good at that......we will see how brad performs in the gfl this year!!!!

he will obviously be playing for nothing considering he has only come from a sub standard competition.
;)
What a stella recruit for the boys at Tigerland.
Brad Edwards has done a superb job coaching Belmont Lions. They were such a force and now he goes and joins the Tigers who have not played finals since Jesus was a boy!
I'd imagine Brad Edwards will be playing for not much because Grovedale pay their players based on win/loss! I'm tipping ol' Braddie Edwards is going to have to get a second job!
And if he is such the gun you guys talk up how about he laces up the boots down at McDonald Reserve and see if he can break into back to back premiers South Barwon. Surely a player from Belmont Lions would just slot straight into the engine room next Knuckey, Sullivan, Aaron Rua, Josh McCann etc etc etc etc etc.

Oh yeah thats right................................ HE WOULDN'T!!!!
Good luck Grovedale! At least thats one other club that the last years top 5 wont have to worry about breaking into finals calculations!

Brad Edwards has done a superb job coaching Belmont Lions. They were such a force and now he goes and joins the Tigers who have not played finals since Jesus was a boy!
I'd imagine Brad Edwards will be playing for not much because Grovedale pay their players based on win/loss! I'm tipping ol' Braddie Edwards is going to have to get a second job!
And if he is such the gun you guys talk up how about he laces up the boots down at McDonald Reserve and see if he can break into back to back premiers South Barwon. Surely a player from Belmont Lions would just slot straight into the engine room next Knuckey, Sullivan, Aaron Rua, Josh McCann etc etc etc etc etc.

Good luck Grovedale! At least thats one other club that the last years top 5 wont have to worry about breaking into finals calculations!

I agree he is a good player but no superstar he looked good at Belmont cause they had no one

shane jack, tom mullane - grant, ross dillon etc etc.
clutching at straws if you are trying to claim shane jack....... he played at centrals in gdfl when he was 18 and on werribee's list and when he didn't get a game, centrals was his second club. didn't play there after a year anyway. werribee wanted him to go tere because they wanted him to get senior exposure and he wouldn't have got a game anywhere else at that time....

Fair list mate. not denying players have succeded at a higher level but all of those guys played junior rep footy and then went to either afl/vfl/gfl! so basically they too thought they were better than your "c" grade league once they had left as 16 year olds! i do know that some of them have gone back to the bfl/gdfl but the ones who have are at the end of there gfl careers!
Brad Edwards will be interesting to watch i agree! big call though if any believes he will dominate against the top 7 gfl sides midfielders!

Fair list mate. not denying players have succeded at a higher level but all of those guys played junior rep footy and then went to either afl/vfl/gfl! so basically they too thought they were better than your "c" grade league once they had left as 16 year olds! i do know that some of them have gone back to the bfl/gdfl but the ones who have are at the end of there gfl careers!
Brad Edwards will be interesting to watch i agree! big call though if any believes he will dominate against the top 7 gfl sides midfielders!

Yea interesting Lewis won Bf then came back Rick won Bf then came back. People who say "C" GRADE FOOTY MAYBE SHOULD COME AND PLAY IT. I played GFL and GDFL fair enough there is a big difference i agree but the GDFL comp is prety good. Re Brad Edwards he is no match for for the good on ballers in GFL they will be to smart and quick for him.

clutching at straws if you are trying to claim shane jack....... he played at centrals in gdfl when he was 18 and on werribee's list and when he didn't get a game, centrals was his second club. didn't play there after a year anyway. werribee wanted him to go tere because they wanted him to get senior exposure and he wouldn't have got a game anywhere else at that time....
played a full season at centrals in '98' including a final series and a grandfinal. that constitutes a former gdfl player for mine. there were plenty of other 17/18 olds running around in the same team as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was never pumping his tyres up fool. once again you show your ignorance and your inability to read properly.....

Yea interesting Lewis won Bf then came back Rick won Bf then came back. People who say "C" GRADE FOOTY MAYBE SHOULD COME AND PLAY IT. I played GFL and GDFL fair enough there is a big difference i agree but the GDFL comp is prety good. Re Brad Edwards he is no match for for the good on ballers in GFL they will be to smart and quick for him.
I agreed with you! they did succeed at a higher level but when they were in there prime! not now though!

Must agree with the other boys Mailboy all good players in there prime & in there prime playing in the GFL. You look at your list-there best football is past them and have decided to go back a level and finish there career eg
Lewis:BPH , Fopiani:Drysdale , M.Stewart: Newcomb , Barbaro:times up in the GFL , Grgic: still got a couple of years left in him in the highest league , Ricky:Newcomb,R.Law:will play BFL or GDFL in 2007 , C.Hemly:should have stayed at BPH.

Whats the latest with St.Albans - recruiting , numbers they have had for pre season , the new coach , can they win there first game of footy in 2007 or does anyone care?????

from all reports st. mary's re-started their training tonight under the watchful eyes of dan fletcher and marc woolnough. twiggy mclean's brother andrew is moving nicely and is consistently shadowing jim cail in the time trials. still no sign of simon fletcher and fitness coach noddy walker is still wearing his newtown visor despite repeated requests to get rid of it

Latest rumour out of Newtown is that young up and coming star Kane Bouch is rumoured to be leaving Newtown and Heading to the GDFL and play for North Geelong (sorry to mention the GDFL). Massive loss for Newtown as former Coach Terry Bright was grooming him to take the reins from former Captain Damien Harrington in 2007!!!

Latest rumour out of Newtown is that young up and coming star Kane Bouch is rumoured to be leaving Newtown and Heading to the GDFL and play for North Geelong (sorry to mention the GDFL). Massive loss for Newtown as former Coach Terry Bright was grooming him to take the reins from former Captain Damien Harrington in 2007!!!

Supertown... honesty opinion... how will Newtown shape up this year compared to previous years? Seems like they may struggle a bit, even if Jay Bett will play for them this year. Noticed a few of the guys did the Danger 1000 8km run on the weekend.

thats just stupidity on his behalf....... president plumber will be fuming...

Supertown... honesty opinion... how will Newtown shape up this year compared to previous years? Seems like they may struggle a bit, even if Jay Bett will play for them this year. Noticed a few of the guys did the Danger 1000 8km run on the weekend.

We have lost Harrington, Grigg and Hill which will be massive departures!!!

I think we will be very similiar to 2006 remembering we lost 8 games by 22 points and under!!! I think we now have 6-7 guys signed that will hopefully all play senior footy. We also now have a playing assistant coach which we previously have not had!
I could go on and on about what went wrong in 06 but honestly we just didnt have the depth we had from the previous year to get across the line!
I think with the new coach and and a renewed emthusiasm at the club shown in events like the bells bash/torquay danger we will go very close to sneaking back into the 5 in 07. Maybe bias but we are still very young side with plenty to play for and now have plenty of GFL experience!

You say newtown didnt hav the depth in 06.. yet they won the 2s flag?? whats your thoughts on that, shouldnt they be the ones pushing for selection or were they too young/not ready?

Two things I want to raise.

With the GFL/BFL beginning later then usual, and possibly even longer, do you think clubs may have to adjust there training programs or even alter their preparation for the season? We could be facing a possible 11 round season, so if that’s the case, the season may start as late as June. That means that clubs will commence pre-season training now and will train for around 5 months before the season starts.

Secondly, speaking to a few people in parts of Victoria (Bendigo, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Ballarat) and it looks like that some regions won't even get a season up and running due to the drought, so WE should consider ourselves fortunant. Country football for this year is basically ruined and this may have some major consequences to most leagues in the future. Leagues will lose money, clubs will lose money and will result in another large exodus country footy will experience clubs folding or merge due to financial insecurity. Its important that the GFL/BFL play this year, even if its only for 11 rounds because it will maintain sponsors, clubs, players and facilities for the coming seasons. A league such as GDFL (this is not an attack at the GDFL), which looks like it won't field a competition, will lose players to rival leagues and will find it difficult to secure and retain the players for next season.

The CDFL are laughing at the moment. The are reaping rewards of being able to confirm that their season will start on time, which results in sponsorships to continue and quality players entering the league. That is a particular league which may enhance its reputation and performance, not only for this year but coming years. I guess there is always someone that benefits from another persons misfortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back