Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
will be interesting coz last time corio tried to buy the premiership they got rolled in the gf, then all the players left for success elsewhere.

as for newcomb they were trying to establish an under 18 team this season which was a positive sign, what happened there?? are there 2 many teams within close proximity to each other fighting over players???
When did Corio try to buy a flag? What players did they buy? They got ex players back so does that count as trying to buy a premiership? And they were beating by a better team simple as that!

wat about Thomson its around the corner, yeh it is wierd all those 3 clubs struggle for under 18s but there is alot of clubs in the region in the same position

Biggest problem in that area is that there aren't enough schools to populate junior sides for the surrounding clubs. All good and strong junior clubs have schools near and unfortunantly Thomson, East Geel, St. Alban's, Newcomb etc struggle to attract players because there simply aren't enough schools in the area.

Looking at the Eastern Suburb schools, I can only think of Geelong High, Newcomb High and James Harrison College. Surely that wouldn't be enough to support the junior sections of clubs Thomson, East Geelong, St. Alban's, Newcomb, especially when the likes of Leopold and other Bellarine clubs poach a fair few students from Newcomb and Geelong High.

couldn't be bothered looking thru this thread to see if its already posted, but has anyone else heard the rumour that shane woewodin is playing for geelong west roosters next year?

If you have a look at the clerances to corio 95% of the guys are guys who grew up in corio or played junior footy at the club, there all mates that just want to play together.

Nothing was mentioned about players going to Corio mate. The point made was what satisfaction will players get out of winning a premiership with a club that ends up folding the next year whether that be Newcomb or any one else. The other point made was as much as Newcomb shot themselves in the foot buying a premiership, when clubs pay good money to recruit a player and they have success you would think or should I say hope from a club perspective that those players would stick around for longer than a year. Everyone is different but I think if a player is getting paid well, morally he should give 2 - 3 years service to that club unless of course the club has done the wrong thing by that player. That may be the case with Newcomb but I haven't heard that. Just my opinion but no doubt Corio would be hoping for that from the players theyve picked up after the 2008 season.

Your answer is probably due to the fact that some of the players that are leaving Newcomb are going to Corio but I say good luck to Corio DEVILS. Having said that some of those players have played at 3, 4 or even 5 different clubs over the last 5 years and I'm sure they haven't gone to that many different clubs in such a short time to play with different mates.

Mate plays for Newcomb and says it is quite true. They been only getting 10 players down to pre-season training. He said if their are no numbers this wednesday they will be folding.
If a club like newcomb is struggling for players and with 10 - 15 blokes leaving can the vcfl knock back a clearance due to lack of numbers ????

Biggest problem in that area is that there aren't enough schools to populate junior sides for the surrounding clubs. All good and strong junior clubs have schools near and unfortunantly Thomson, East Geel, St. Alban's, Newcomb etc struggle to attract players because there simply aren't enough schools in the area.

Looking at the Eastern Suburb schools, I can only think of Geelong High, Newcomb High and James Harrison College. Surely that wouldn't be enough to support the junior sections of clubs Thomson, East Geelong, St. Alban's, Newcomb, especially when the likes of Leopold and other Bellarine clubs poach a fair few students from Newcomb and Geelong High.

James Harrison College (East Tech for you old timers) has been closed for several years...it's now a campus of the Gordon...so that has probably hurt...

couldn't be bothered looking thru this thread to see if its already posted, but has anyone else heard the rumour that shane woewodin is playing for geelong west roosters next year?
Pure rumour. He is a Western Australian playing very good footy in the WAFL. What reason would he have to come to Victoria to play in the GFL? Married with small children living in his hometown already. About as solid as the Tony Modra playing for South Barwon or Stewart Dew playing for Newtown rumours last season.

Nothing was mentioned about players going to Corio mate. The point made was what satisfaction will players get out of winning a premiership with a club that ends up folding the next year whether that be Newcomb or any one else. The other point made was as much as Newcomb shot themselves in the foot buying a premiership, when clubs pay good money to recruit a player and they have success you would think or should I say hope from a club perspective that those players would stick around for longer than a year. Everyone is different but I think if a player is getting paid well, morally he should give 2 - 3 years service to that club unless of course the club has done the wrong thing by that player. That may be the case with Newcomb but I haven't heard that. Just my opinion but no doubt Corio would be hoping for that from the players theyve picked up after the 2008 season.

Your answer is probably due to the fact that some of the players that are leaving Newcomb are going to Corio but I say good luck to Corio DEVILS. Having said that some of those players have played at 3, 4 or even 5 different clubs over the last 5 years and I'm sure they haven't gone to that many different clubs in such a short time to play with different mates.

yep fair call mate. i hope they all stay for a few years too come, it doesnt look good when any player goes from one club to the next year after year

good to see Teddy Whittens Snr R.I.P, Grandson Dean & Jarrad Whitten are having a run at anglesea Dean looks like a very good player bout 30 odd aswell and jarrad looks alright and there dad is Teddy Whitten Jnr:thumbsu:

From the Addy this morning.

Can't say i am surprised. I called this a while ago. You cant expect to buy premierships and have no under 18's and have a football club with a future.

To all the arrogant Newcomb supporters i have encountered over the past few years what goes around is about to come around. Enjoy the footy season without a club to follow.

Bellarine premiers Newcomb torn apart

Bradley Green

26Feb08

Share this article
Digg this Post to del.icio.us Post to Newsvine Post to Facebook REIGNING Bellarine Football League premier Newcomb is holding crisis talks on the eve of the season to address its alarming player shortage.

The Power, which has won two of the past three BFL flags, has been decimated by player departures over the pre-season and the club's committee will this week hold a series of meetings to decide on the club's short-term future.

Newcomb has also held a series of meetings with Football Geelong to address the issue and new league CEO Leigh Hartman said having the club go into recess was its ``last resort''.

``We'd cross that bridge if and when we came to it, but it's not our preferred option,'' Hartman said.

``At this stage, we're still hopeful and positive that they'll be right for this year.

``We've asked the club to be open and transparent to us like we have to them. They've been good in their communication, they've come forward to us and we've had some good discussions.''

With a little more than a month to go before the first round of the season, Newcomb coach Damian Mahoney, who has taken over the reins from premiership coaches Ricky O'Toole and Matt Bruhn, is struggling to get players to training.

Club president Trevor Cantwell said 16 players trained last Friday night, the highest figure in any pre-season session.

Hartman said they had given the club some ideas about how to boost player numbers.

``Their overall numbers since Christmas aren't that bad,'' he said.

``Their problem has been getting them there on one night. It did improve towards the end of last week, so I've asked them to come back to me this week and give me an update on the situation.

``They are hoping to field seniors and reserves sides and their long-term aim is to generate some more players through their junior structure and they are putting more resources and time in establishing that.''

Newcomb also wants to field an under-18 side in the competition.

Hartman urged Newcomb players and supporters to get behind the current committee to ensure the club's long-term survival.

``It shouldn't be just left to the current committee,'' he said.

``People around the club and the town should be trying to help them out by getting onto players who haven't turned up yet.''

Newcomb has been drawn to meet Ocean Grove, a rematch of last year's grand final, when the season begins on April 5.

Another stupid rumour. Where did ya hear this one? From Mummy? Someone should put this muppet in a straight jacket and gag him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Addy this morning.

Can't say i am surprised. I called this a while ago. You cant expect to buy premierships and have no under 18's and have a football club with a future.

To all the arrogant Newcomb supporters i have encountered over the past few years what goes around is about to come around. Enjoy the footy season without a club to follow.

Bellarine premiers Newcomb torn apart

Bradley Green

26Feb08

Share this article
Digg this Post to del.icio.us Post to Newsvine Post to Facebook REIGNING Bellarine Football League premier Newcomb is holding crisis talks on the eve of the season to address its alarming player shortage.

The Power, which has won two of the past three BFL flags, has been decimated by player departures over the pre-season and the club's committee will this week hold a series of meetings to decide on the club's short-term future.

Newcomb has also held a series of meetings with Football Geelong to address the issue and new league CEO Leigh Hartman said having the club go into recess was its ``last resort''.

``We'd cross that bridge if and when we came to it, but it's not our preferred option,'' Hartman said.

``At this stage, we're still hopeful and positive that they'll be right for this year.

``We've asked the club to be open and transparent to us like we have to them. They've been good in their communication, they've come forward to us and we've had some good discussions.''

With a little more than a month to go before the first round of the season, Newcomb coach Damian Mahoney, who has taken over the reins from premiership coaches Ricky O'Toole and Matt Bruhn, is struggling to get players to training.

Club president Trevor Cantwell said 16 players trained last Friday night, the highest figure in any pre-season session.

Hartman said they had given the club some ideas about how to boost player numbers.

``Their overall numbers since Christmas aren't that bad,'' he said.

``Their problem has been getting them there on one night. It did improve towards the end of last week, so I've asked them to come back to me this week and give me an update on the situation.

``They are hoping to field seniors and reserves sides and their long-term aim is to generate some more players through their junior structure and they are putting more resources and time in establishing that.''

Newcomb also wants to field an under-18 side in the competition.

Hartman urged Newcomb players and supporters to get behind the current committee to ensure the club's long-term survival.

``It shouldn't be just left to the current committee,'' he said.

``People around the club and the town should be trying to help them out by getting onto players who haven't turned up yet.''

Newcomb has been drawn to meet Ocean Grove, a rematch of last year's grand final, when the season begins on April 5.

Hullkster we shouldn't gloat over the demise of a footy team as one day it might be your club.

I understand the being an Ammos bloke their is some animosity because they ruined your talked about dynasty and dreams of joining the GFL, and that at present you can sit there comfortable that your club is not in immediate jeapordy but when one starts to fall then others may follow and looking around there are a number of clubs on shaky ground.

Finally talking to a person involved with Newcomb there issue is not cash but players so "buying" 2 premierships did not put the club in financial jeapordy rather it is the lack of player loyalty that has affected them.

Just goes to show money may buy you a couple of premierships but it doesnt buy the long term future of your club. Its a shame but what goes around comes around.

I'd think no one would want to see a club fold? and i'm pretty sure they didn't wake up this morning and think "we have no juniors". You'd think they would of been trying to get it back to the way it was from the time they couldn't get the kids on the ground.
You dont need a crystal ball to work out you cant keep up success, buying flags or a club for that matter if you dont have the kids coming through, so to say YOU called it back in November, you would of been the 1000th person to say the same thing!
Have herd they've had up to 40 different people at training, just not at the same time so i dont think there going anywhere, but if they cant get their junior section up and running, they wont be here much longer.
But we all know that!
They would of been in this spot even if they didn't buy a couple of flags

Hulkster you are a typical Ammos p___k, your just jealous that they ruined your club the chance to play in the GFL, I can't wait to see your side in the GFL, then we might see your club struggle because your club is not as good as they think they are, very SOFT, would be found out in GFL.

as if ammo's would be any where near GFL standard now

i think newcomb saved them the embarassment of going up and aving to come back to the BFL after a few years on the bottom...

Finally talking to a person involved with Newcomb there issue is not cash but players so "buying" 2 premierships did not put the club in financial jeapordy rather it is the lack of player loyalty that has affected them.[/quote]

That's the problem, you can't go out and buy the type of players they did and expect loyalty.

yeah i heard it from your mum. how'd ya know? did she tell ya that she roots computer geeks who go on football forums like myself?

No room for that sort of reply or crap here. This is about local footy. Pi** off and join some other forum if that's the type of reply you want to post.

Hulkster you are a typical Ammos p___k, your just jealous that they ruined your club the chance to play in the GFL, I can't wait to see your side in the GFL, then we might see your club struggle because your club is not as good as they think they are, very SOFT, would be found out in GFL.

Despite what many people here are saying i am not one of those in favour of Ammos moving to the GFL. I have always prefered being in the BFL.

And as for those bringing out the old soft tag i ask how many Ammo games have you seen, its just an old line that may have been appropriate over 10 years ago but not now.

Yes i may be a bit harsh on my critisism of Newcomb and now that you mention it technically they did hurt our chances of joining the GFL according to the criterior that is in place. But that criterior only allows a team to APPLY to join the GFL. And i think even if Ammos did they wouldnt get in anyway.

As i said i am against a move for he Ammos to the GFL you are right i dont think they are as good as they think they are. They have found their level in the BFL and should be happy to stay there.

As for my grudge against Newcomb it goes way back and thats fine most players have something against one club or another, mine is Newcomb. One of the main reasons and it may seem silly but the racial abuse i have heard coming from their supporters (who are ex or current players i saw who was saying it and he played for the club) towards a player was a disgrace to their club. I have never in all my years of football heard anything like or have i since. Add to that the usual sort of stuff that may make you dislike a club, thats the way i feel, so be it. But the racial abuse is not on in my book.

At least when i say my point of view i feel i can back it up. Unlike others who just trot out the same old Ammos soft tag just like everyone else does.

Also to the person who said it is a lack of loyalty to the club that is costing htem not the buying of a premiership those two things go hand in hand. If you buy players you are bringing players to a club who are coming to the club for money only. You would expect that when that is not on offer anymore they would leave. I dont think you can expect loyalty in that situation. Loyalty comes from playing for a club for the love of the place and its people not how much money it can offer you. Ultimately that is what has lead to Newcombs downfall.

St Mary's have signed Josh Maddox from SANFL club South Adelaide. Maddox was a star at Echuca before transferring to the SANFL.

Handy pick-up to say the least.

From the Sunshine F.C & wondering whether anyone is after a Practice match on the 29th of March. PM me to organise details.

I believe Sth Barwon has a pratice match this Saturday at Geelong Footy Ground agaist Werribee Reserves, as I am in Canada, could somebody do a report as to who plays well and who plays for Sth Barwon Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back