Local Geelong Leagues Thread (GFL/BFL/GDFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulkster i don't know if you've had any issues with Barwon Heads in the past but you seem to always refer to them as a club who spend large $$ trying to buy a flag & not having local players & juniors at the club. Yes in 93 they might have bought a flag but that was 14 yrs ago & lets be honest most clubs in all leagues in Australia have done that at some time. Barwon Heads has always been a small retirement town which has meant there hasn't been many local kids to play for the club until prob the past 7 yrs with town expanding with young family's which if you look at the success of their juniors the last 2 years, is looking great for the clubs future. 06 with Lara boys & few others the club would've only spent as much if not less than most the other clubs. Watch for Barwon Heads in the coming years with their local kids, the club has a great future.

Hulkster i don't know if you've had any issues with Barwon Heads in the past but you seem to always refer to them as a club who spend large $$ trying to buy a flag & not having local players & juniors at the club. Yes in 93 they might have bought a flag but that was 14 yrs ago & lets be honest most clubs in all leagues in Australia have done that at some time. Barwon Heads has always been a small retirement town which has meant there hasn't been many local kids to play for the club until prob the past 7 yrs with town expanding with young family's which if you look at the success of their juniors the last 2 years, is looking great for the clubs future. 06 with Lara boys & few others the club would've only spent as much if not less than most the other clubs. Watch for Barwon Heads in the coming years with their local kids, the club has a great future.

You are right i do have a few things against the Barwon Heads FC, due to a few unsavory incidents over the past 5 years. PM me if you want some details, more than happy to oblige.

BUt i guess the proof is in the pudding Heads have not had an impact on any finals series in a long time. Yes they did win the U 18 flag a couple of years ago but clubs are measured on senior success and recently Heads have not even been close. This year they were shocking. But i guess there is always next year, we will see i suppose.

pffft fat chance mate, modda are and will remain cellar dwellars in the bfl. they have a terrible junior rank, therefore leading to a dismal future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep_dogger
i know i said this year about modewarre but next year in season 2008 watch out for them boys, with kent butcher coachin them and aswell pullin on the boots and with kent bringing some of his mates bout 5 or soo of them to play at modda next year U better watch out for modewarre boys, and aswell jackson bolten also playin and all the ex modewarre boys from simpson
GO MODDA:)

I also hear player retention (which has always been a problem out there) will cause some headaches for Modda over the summer with Scott Hovey & Adam Leslie heading down to the CDFL. Several other players are rumoured to be heading into Geelong as well.....

yeah jonny cousins assistant coach out there aswell there goin great guns there both around 35 to fat and to slow jonny got sacked from coaching corios 2s last season cause he couldnt get to training or games what hope has he got getting to modewarre na to many old guys out there dont exspect much from modda again next season

It seems that Moddewarre have been copping a bit of a hiding on here. So i thought i would take the chance to say a few things.
Player retention for 08 is not a problem. There are a couple who may be trying to play GFL but it will not have a negative impact on Moddewarre.

Hovey and Leslie are staying. Despite the belief of some, Hovey has not received a pay rise.

Recruiting well and will not be 'cellar dwellars'. Bolton brothers, sweeney, Butcher, Tim Vander Klooster and 3 others signed just a start.

John Couzens is not assistant coach. Coaching panel consists of Butcher, Beamond and a yet to be announced playing assistant coach. John is a good mate of Kents and will help Beamond on the bench on match day while Kent and assistant coach play. Thats it so get off his back.

You make a good point - Ocean Grove and Ammos definitely but Torquay don't have many any more. Let's just hope the mighty Power are around long enough for me to play 12 games to get to my 100th!!

Look out, the General is coming out of hiatus to pull the boots on again to secure father/son status for his younguns...

Definitely agree with some of the comments here re: newcomb, the club had quite a good under 18 system in place for 5-10 years there with a number of finals appearances, and a GF trip as well, but has become a real concern at the moment. Measures certainly need to be taken to try to revive the clubs under 18 team, possibly through bringing through a crop of u/14, u/16 kids from the Junior comp and convincing them to stick together into the 18's...

Tough ask to start again from scratch, but if they dont then they will have to buy all their players, as there'l be no kids to come through to match the likes of those that were named earlier on like ur Morrisons, Drakes, Robinsons, Droughts etc.

Look out, the General is coming out of hiatus to pull the boots on again to secure father/son status for his younguns...

Definitely agree with some of the comments here re: newcomb, the club had quite a good under 18 system in place for 5-10 years there with a number of finals appearances, and a GF trip as well, but has become a real concern at the moment. Measures certainly need to be taken to try to revive the clubs under 18 team, possibly through bringing through a crop of u/14, u/16 kids from the Junior comp and convincing them to stick together into the 18's...

Tough ask to start again from scratch, but if they dont then they will have to buy all their players, as there'l be no kids to come through to match the likes of those that were named earlier on like ur Morrisons, Drakes, Robinsons, Droughts etc.

Have played the last two years thank you very much!!!

U18's have not been the same since players the ilk of Doyle and Byars graced Grinter Reserve! When will the prodigal son return to the powerhouse?

what of the little whisper p. hood to take on a coaching role at the falcons next season, and play a coupla games at leopold with good make greavesy?

I see in the Addy that Paul Chambers will suit up for GWSP next season. Great signing, you can never have to many bi fellas around.

It seems that Moddewarre have been copping a bit of a hiding on here. So i thought i would take the chance to say a few things.
Player retention for 08 is not a problem. There are a couple who may be trying to play GFL but it will not have a negative impact on Moddewarre.

Hovey and Leslie are staying. Despite the belief of some, Hovey has not received a pay rise.

Recruiting well and will not be 'cellar dwellars'. Bolton brothers, sweeney, Butcher, Tim Vander Klooster and 3 others signed just a start.

John Couzens is not assistant coach. Coaching panel consists of Butcher, Beamond and a yet to be announced playing assistant coach. John is a good mate of Kents and will help Beamond on the bench on match day while Kent and assistant coach play. Thats it so get off his back.

i think you should check your facts cause jonny is ringing everywhere telling people his assistant and trying to recruit them to modda
with no success, cause who the hell would want to go there? bottom 4 again

i think you should check your facts cause jonny is ringing everywhere telling people his assistant and trying to recruit them to modda
with no success, cause who the hell would want to go there? bottom 4 again
I am not saying Couzens is not helping at Modda, just saying he is not the designated assistant coach or paid employee. Just helping out his mate. Obviously i have said he will be on bench on match day
any info on what otoole and his merry men are doing?
Ballarat thread had O'Toole and the rest of newcomb talking to Sebastapol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying Couzens is not helping at Modda, just saying he is not the designated assistant coach or paid employee. Just helping out his mate. Obviously i have said he will be on bench on match day

Ballarat thread had O'Toole and the rest of newcomb talking to Sebastapol

im pritty sure his getting paid theres no way he would go for free, but if he does he can only help as he was definately one of the best onballers in geelong in his day.
Otoole to ballarat interesting considering they havnt been real flash in the past few years. i thought getting a bit older he would like to try and play in that flag that he so desperately wants i know he won one last season but i recon he would still want to be a player on the ground in one.

Dont know if this is old news or not but ex listed cats player nick bacholar is going to bell park with a few other werribee team mates that are from there..

im guessing Tim Sheringham, they are good mates, and Sheringham played juniors at Bell Park. donno who else though?

Congratulations to kane smith on heading back to lara, good to see him back out there with the boys, should be another handy pick up out at the snake pit, any other news of signings? or falcons boys heading back to their junior clubs to play seniors?

Rick Wilde at the Roosters in 08. Talks have been going informally for a long time. Announced on K-Rock. Leaves the Roosters with a very handy ruck line up of Chambers and Wilde

yeh agree wit roosters handy pik ups might have gone overally tall tho this year wit the height in there forward line n now rucks might not b so much room for all the big guys ne other news of other signings?? or ppl leavin there club to place else where???

N&C have picked up a kid from ocean grove, apparantly played a few games with the Geelong VFL team in '07, any idea of names?

gage from thompson to drysdale is meant to be happening too...

benrey_demons;9383781[B said:
]N&C have picked up a kid from ocean grove, apparantly played a few games with the Geelong VFL team in '07[/B], any idea of names?

Would that be Mctaggart?? He was the only one to play vfl from ocean grove this season!!

N&C have picked up a kid from ocean grove, apparantly played a few games with the Geelong VFL team in '07, any idea of names?

That certainly would be Mctaggart, good pick up for newtown smart footballer, i see they have also picked up doug scott who spent afew years at hawthorn another good recruit, they deffinetly need them after loosing some of the big names they have.

Sebastopol Football club (Ballarat Football League)
We are looking to appoint a Playing Assistant Coach for the 2008 season. The successful applicant will be generously rewarded and will have the opportunity to be part of a professional club in one of the best country football leagues. Sebastopol football club is the closest football club to Ballarat Uni and has opportunity for work if needed. We are also looking for 2-3 marquee players for the upcoming season and beyond. If you think this is the next step in your football career and you want to be part of our professional and dynamic team be quick and call
MARK RUSSELL (sen coach) on 0432438459
(I am Geelong based )

Sebastopol Football club (Ballarat Football League)
We are looking to appoint a Playing Assistant Coach for the 2008 season. The successful applicant will be generously rewarded and will have the opportunity to be part of a professional club in one of the best country football leagues. Sebastopol football club is the closest football club to Ballarat Uni and has opportunity for work if needed. We are also looking for 2-3 marquee players for the upcoming season and beyond. If you think this is the next step in your football career and you want to be part of our professional and dynamic team be quick and call
MARK RUSSELL (sen coach) on 0432438459
(I am Geelong based )

how did sabastopol go last year ? 3rd coach in 3 years good luck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back