Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by anonymous Joe
But our cultures are different Carlton have thrown the cheque book and goten ready made players hence their reason for optmism.

Essendon grow their own talent, with Sheedys motto being the farmer who picks his crops early will go hungry. Essendon's cause for optmism has been the good trade deals, rookie and later draft picks that have enabled us to consistently rebuild without anyoe noticeing thus avoiding Carlton like situations.
What exactly has this to do with this statement?

Its how Carlton supporters get joy out of life now.

Pathetic attempts to demean a bunch of 17 18 year old kids in red n black jumpers.
:confused:

Besides I'd refute that we have thrown the cheque book to rebuild, except for Nick Stevens but when you are trying to pick someone up in the PSD, you have got to play the numbers game. This is offset by the fact that we gave up zero players and zero draft picks to sign him. As for the good trade deals, I believe that Carlton got very good value for money considering the currency we were offering.

The Bulldogs forward line really is a mystery to me - I put Rawlings down there as apparently his back is stuffed and isn't mobile enough to play CHB anymore. Smith I think will be required in the midfield as they really are light on in stocks there.

Stuffed up with Hunter at the Eagles, put him down back and replaced with Gaspar who apparently is ready to hold down a key forward spot.

Originally posted by Lockyer24
The Bulldogs forward line really is a mystery to me - I put Rawlings down there as apparently his back is stuffed and isn't mobile enough to play CHB anymore. Smith I think will be required in the midfield as they really are light on in stocks there.

We'll see, mate. ;)

Ranking the Forwards

1. Port
2. Brisbane
3. Essendon
4. Collingwood

OK, that seems a fair assesment.

5. Adelaide
Carey
Welsh
Stevens
Burton
Bode
Burns

Agree more or less with the ranking (as long as Adelaide can keep players on the park), but I would toss Bode & Burns and include Schuback & Johncock. Burton is more than likely going to play on a wing this year, and that spot in the forward line will be taken up by a rotation including Perrie & Ricciuto.

Cupido - Tallllllllent
Hird - also tallent
Rioli - tallent
Haynes - Tallent
Reynolds Tallent
Johns - Maybe tallent
Richards - Tallent
Bolton - less tallent
Lucas - when he makes an appearence is Tallent

Don't disagree that this lot has talent, trouble is they don't deliver it consistently enough, a prime reason why we haven't seen the Bombers top 4 for a couple of years.

Collingwood's forward line is very thin, but it gets the job done thanks to great coaching, we have perhaps the hardest working forwards when they are off the ball with things like blocking the lead and such. We usually play a 3-5 man forward line with smaller players playing up the ground as an extra on-baller as alot of teams do.

Ranking the Forwards

9. West Coast
McDougall
Gaspar
Matera
Embley
Sampi
Chick

10. Fremantle
Longmuir
Polak
Farmer
Medhurst
Waterhouse
Schammer

O no you didnt.
McDougall :Done sfa
Gaspar: Done sfa
Matera: Good but getting on
Embley: Make up your mind folkds midfield or forward
Sampi: Again more the midfielder.
Chick: Not a forward.

I see no marking options, eagles midfield is bottom 3 in my honest opinion.

Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by sabre_ac
O no you didnt.

Interesting.. because according to the ladder at http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/ladder/index.html

....................P W L D For
West Coast 22 12 8 2 2326

West Coast had the best offence last year and kicked the most goals. Not bad for the "worst forward line" in the league. Have to wonder whats better tho... a team who has 10 different goalkickers or one that relies on 1 or 2 people.

Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

O no you didnt.

SFA? That's what most people have been saying about Longmuir, Farmer and Waterhouse. Good potential but haven't been able to produce anything consistently. Good thing that you got rid of Croad while he still had any worth.

You can't really say that sampi is a midfielder as he as played next to no time in the middle. Probably as much time as Polak has played in your forward line.

Your forward line that great sabre. Medhurst and Longmiur would be your best 2 the others are extremly new to the caper or have been there for a while without consistently being a threat.

and i'm really hoping that your last sentence is a mistake.

Re: Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by Danny_Green
Interesting.. because according to the ladder at http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/ladder/index.html

....................P W L D For
West Coast 22 12 8 2 2326

West Coast had the best offence last year and kicked the most goals. Not bad for the "worst forward line" in the league. Have to wonder whats better tho... a team who has 10 different goalkickers or one that relies on 1 or 2 people.

I think this only highlights your midfield strength and I believe that WC will have a better midfield than Brissie by the years end if they keep up their improvement.

Originally posted by anonymous Joe
do u want me to name some of the players who are fringe players, good in the VFl wouldn't get a spot on 15 other lists but are on Carltons list?

all suppoters say the same thing anyway. Essendon fans are no different.

we're just cocky cos we're so good at trading, rookie picks and later draft picks.

Something your buy success quick fix club needs to learn.

You need to chuck in a couple of "In my opinion......"

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
It would be a welcome change from you just denegrating Essendon's youngsters.

I have my doubts on many of Essendons younger brigade, but I also see with some that they will make it and become very good players. Some have the "It" factor and you know they will make it. How good they will be is another thing.

I will fix this up for you.

I have my doubts on many of Essendons younger brigade, but I also see with some that may make it and hopefully become very good players. Some have the "It" factor and you Hope like christ they will make it. If they play at the highest level is another thing.

Edited by Sheik Mathious

You are starting to put a little bit of presure on these young blokes to be the next Watson, Hird, Fitzmaurice, Reynolds, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly good work on setting up this topic.

Secondly a number of people are making comments about their own teams as listed so I'd say we at Port have problems with two. Chad Cornes may mark well but his set shots give us a very poor return. Also the long, accurate kicking of Stewy Dew hasn't been seen since 2002. He spent most of 2003 off with Osteitis Pubis and since returning can't kick 50m - plus is inaccurate as hell.

Thirdly:
Originally posted by Danny_Green
....... Have to wonder what's better though... a team who has 10 different goalkickers, or one that relies on 1 or 2 people.
IMO clearly the first, as per the following example:
Admittedly my memory of the Port/Collingwood Prelim Final in 2003 is clouded by alcohol and intensive hypnosis, but I seem to recall practically everyone on the Collingwood team kicking a goal at some stage. I think Malthouse kicked 2 and Eddie 1.
Meanwhile our designated forwards were well checked and our midfielders sprayed shots like a tom cat on heat (thanks again Nick Stevens).
There are games where the midfield is able to deliver regularly to your forwards and they are on song. These games are great to watch. But top ranked attacks are only useful when the rest of the team is willing and capable of backing up

Originally posted by Sheik Mathious
I will fix this up for you.

I have my doubts on many of Essendons younger brigade, but I also see with some that may make it and hopefully become very good players. Some have the "It" factor and you Hope like christ they will make it. If they play at the highest level is another thing.

Edited by Sheik Mathious

You are starting to put a little bit of presure on these young blokes to be the next Watson, Hird, Fitzmaurice, Reynolds, etc.

Yes and No - after all how many footballers would come on to a website like this.

But I do genuinely believe in some of our younger players - and this is the fact that they have shown glimpses into the future. Others are more of they have the right build and seeme to be progressing nicely.

Guys like Reynolds, Welsh, Bullen, Cupido and McPhee are already starting to play some good consistent footy at the top level with some of those really showing a lot of promise for much improvement.

The only 2 youngsters that have played essentially no senior footy (well under 10 games) that I will talk up are Watson and Winderlich. Both have impressed me watching them live with their footy smarts.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Originally posted by pigfat275
There are games where the midfield is able to deliver regularly to your forwards and they are on song. These games are great to watch. But top ranked attacks are only useful when the rest of the team is willing and capable of backing up

Exactly... premierships aren't won by someone kicking 8 goals from Full Forward because of the pressure and intensity.... the Eagles team of the early 90s had Sumich at FF but he wasn't the only avenue to goal... it was the wingmen kicking the goals..... meanwhile Ablett's slotting away 9 goals in finals and Billy Brownless is trying his guts out and they aren't winning anything.

There's no doubt that finals are more about midfield, but that doesn't mean West Coast's actual forward are up to scratch.

You can have a gun season from your midfield, but if you don't have converters up forward, you're going to be well behind the eight ball.

Originally posted by Porthos
There's no doubt that finals are more about midfield, but that doesn't mean West Coast's actual forward are up to scratch.

You can have a gun season from your midfield, but if you don't have converters up forward, you're going to be well behind the eight ball.

I agree... where we lost it is when Michael Gardiner injured his knee and Embley broke his collarbone. Our midfield was getting nowhere near the ball and Embley in my opinion was almost our best player last year... a 190cm wingman who averages 20+ possessions a game and can go down forward as a mobile tall and kick goals. Up until they went down people were talking a top 2 spot and premierships. How quickly opinions change.

3. Essendon
Lloyd
Bolton
Cupido
Solomon
Ramanauskas
Mercuri

I'm sorry, but you surely cannot have the Bombers at number 3 if you are including Mercuri in their forward line, he'll be lucky to get a game this year.

Collingwood
Tarrant
Rocca
Didak
O'Bree
Lockyer
Davis

Colligwood at number 4, please now you are showing your loyalty. Truye Rocca and Tarrent are guns, Didak can kick a goal, but the other 3, particularly Davis wouldn't get a mention on aany other list.
Some unbised posting please!

By the way I think you have the Tigers about right.

Originally posted by Captain Blood
Collingwood
Tarrant
Rocca
Didak
O'Bree
Lockyer
Davis

Colligwood at number 4, please now you are showing your loyalty. Truye Rocca and Tarrent are guns, Didak can kick a goal, but the other 3, particularly Davis wouldn't get a mention on aany other list.
Some unbised posting please!

By the way I think you have the Tigers about right.

Who do you think should be ahead of us?

I rate teams with 2 quality key forwards higher than teams with a more even spread as talls are much more valuable.

Thats why Richmond is reasonably high.

PS Lockyer and O'Bree are fairly good players and I think you will find they kick plenty of goals. Same with Davis (in form)

PPS. In retrospect I think I may have rated Sydney a little low. Very efficient unit.

Originally posted by noodle
SFA? That's what most people have been saying about Longmuir, Farmer and Waterhouse. Good potential but haven't been able to produce anything consistently. Good thing that you got rid of Croad while he still had any worth.

You can't really say that sampi is a midfielder as he as played next to no time in the middle. Probably as much time as Polak has played in your forward line.

Your forward line that great sabre. Medhurst and Longmiur would be your best 2 the others are extremly new to the caper or have been there for a while without consistently being a threat.

and i'm really hoping that your last sentence is a mistake.

The likes of longmuir and waterhouse have definitely shown more than Gaspar and McDougal, farmer was the 2nd highest goal scorer in the comp not long ago.
Sampi will be a midfielder mark my words.
Medhurst again has shown more than any of your forwards bar Matera, and I am still giving longmuir time :).

O and htat last sentence as a mistake...meant to be "foward line"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Locks ranks the Forward Lines

The likes of longmuir and waterhouse have definitely shown more than Gaspar and McDougal, farmer was the 2nd highest goal scorer in the comp not long ago.
Sampi will be a midfielder mark my words.
Medhurst again has shown more than any of your forwards bar Matera, and I am still giving longmuir time :).

O and htat last sentence as a mistake...meant to be "foward line"
Matera?

Ranking the Forwards

6. Sydney
Hall (56)
Doyle ( 2)
Davis (29)
O'Loughlin (41)
Schneider (30)
O'Keefe (17)

Personally woulda had Sydney higher Locks with a good spread of goalkickers and a high degree of accuracy being major strengths this year.

Hard to count Doyle as he spent so much of the year out (as did Ball) but Goodes added another 20 when he went forward so perhaps should have been listed as he was there more this year.

Still 175 goals from the ones you listed aint a bad return.

Still woulda rated them above the Dons as apart from Lloyd they get a bit thin IMO. Bolton, Rama & Soloman totalling just 27 between them. Too much reliance on 1 player for mine.

Applaud the bravery in putting your neck out there with the ratings threads, always knockers about but overall a fairly reasonable effort!

Remove this Banner Ad

Locks ranks the Forward Lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back