Lodden Valley Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he break it, playing footy, he will be a while with that sort of injury, badluck mate but i am sure the Calivil crew will involve you some other way. All the best for your recovery.

Playing in a practice match on saturday against Mt Pleasant.
Has been told that the break is that bad that he will most likely never play again, needs 2 rods plus some plates, pins and screws.

Bad news for calivil over the weekend with Jarad Smith breaking both bones in his leg, apparently had surgery today to have rods, plates and screws inserted, not something you would wish on anyone, would just like to wish smithy all the best and a speedy recovery

that is bad news yeah we all hope he has a speedy recovery a very handy player for them will be a big loss, hopefully theyll involve him in some way, shape or form. any results from matches over the weekend?

that is bad news yeah we all hope he has a speedy recovery a very handy player for them will be a big loss, hopefully theyll involve him in some way, shape or form. any results from matches over the weekend?

It was a terrible break and not a good thing to see. All of us at Mounts wish him the best and hope he is up and around the Calivil club again soon

How did it happen ROOTA?

Well there was a loose ball and one of our blokes went to ground to retrieve the ball and it looked like the Calivil bloke came in over the top and his leg got caught underneath our bloke. Pure accident. You see this kinda of thing happen so many times during a match without any injury but this time unfortunately there was a serious one

Anyone else heard that Wayne Eve did his knee against Heathcote in the practice match, gone for the year i heard, this is second hand news but must be some truth. Anyone know???

Anyone else heard that Wayne Eve did his knee against Heathcote in the practice match, gone for the year i heard, this is second hand news but must be some truth. Anyone know???

If that is true it is a massive loss for Miti.

Best wishes to Smith from Calivil, those sort of injuries make us all sick to the stomach.

It's intriguing that three "experts" have predicted that the young list of Inglewood will make the finals, whilst the young list of YCW will end up wooden spoon.....
well bill its like this mate the young list at inglewood have been together for a few years now as the list at yc are only new so that would make sense to me !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im a bit surprised to see only 1 person has Pyramid Hill making finals. From all reports they have recruited pretty good in the off season. Any reasoning as to why you guys have left them out?

Does anyone have a comment or two about the lift out in the addy today?

For those of you who haven't seen it, here are the predictions for the year:

Adam Bourke
Top 5 - Miti, PH, Calivil, BW, NB
Premier - Miti
Wooden Spoon - Serp
Harding medal - Dave Morrissey
Leading Goal Kicker - Chilcott

Nathan Dole
T5 - BW, Miti, Calivil, NB, Inglewood
P - BW
WS - YCW
HM - Wicks
Goals - Ashman

Luke West
T5 - Miti, Calivil, BW, NB, Inglewood
P - Calivil
WS - Serp
HM - R. Maxted
Goals - Ashman

Nino Bucci
T5 - Calivil, Miti, NB, Iwood, Marong
P - Miti
WS - YCW
HM - Charlie Thompson
Goals - Chilcott

Lucky Stew
T5 - Calivil, BW, Miti, NB, Marong
P - BW
WS - YCW
HM - R. Maxted
Goals - Ashman

I'm sure this will fire the forum up a bit...:)[/quote]

Inglewood played very well in a practice match against Kerang i think it was, was told they have plenty of running young players, ex LV players say they should push for a top 5 slot, surely not, lol, or surely yes, is it Inglewoods turn to be on the up and up, and clubs like Serp and YC to be on the rebuild.

I see Serp advertising for under 17 lads, where are all the kids these days, whats drawing them away from country footy, work? other sports? Petrol prices? This problem is getting worse and needs to be addressed at league level. I have also been told by a Serp stalwart that they may not field a junior netball team either, and ditto for my girls at Bridgie, and Marong and Inglewood.

I put it to you all out there, is country footy and netball a dying sport? And if so, what or how can we ensure that the Loddon Valley is around for another generation?

Inglewood played very well in a practice match against Kerang i think it was, was told they have plenty of running young players, ex LV players say they should push for a top 5 slot, surely not, lol, or surely yes, is it Inglewoods turn to be on the up and up, and clubs like Serp and YC to be on the rebuild.

I see Serp advertising for under 17 lads, where are all the kids these days, whats drawing them away from country footy, work? other sports? Petrol prices? This problem is getting worse and needs to be addressed at league level. I have also been told by a Serp stalwart that they may not field a junior netball team either, and ditto for my girls at Bridgie, and Marong and Inglewood.

I put it to you all out there, is country footy and netball a dying sport? And if so, what or how can we ensure that the Loddon Valley is around for another generation?

Timebomb, Think you might find that Inglewood had a game against Wandella FC from the Golden Rivers Footbal League. Would have been intereseting if Kerang and Inglewood played each other as we both wear Carlton colours. Think the bombers coach is an old Mitiamo boy and assistant to Filo at Eaglehawk last year, name escapes me. Havnt seen Billett since he used to whack everyone each Satyrday, how is the silver fox going out there as coach? Can anyone let me know if Serp still have the big fella Gordon Adlem filling in from time to time, still big and fit last time i saw him. Cheers.

Well there was a loose ball and one of our blokes went to ground to retrieve the ball and it looked like the Calivil bloke came in over the top and his leg got caught underneath our bloke. Pure accident. You see this kinda of thing happen so many times during a match without any injury but this time unfortunately there was a serious one
Surfing the threads and couldnt help but see this. Feel for the bloke, i had the same injury last year, snapped Tibia and Fibula, I'm a bit old and past it but this bloke still has a chance if he gets the right treatment. Hope he got Dayananda as his surgeon in bendigo, bloody brilliant man. It's a long road and I know how the bloke feels, chin up and a speady recovery. For anyone who isnt sure and if the information is correct it is a similar break to nathan BROWN from Richmond, compound fracture or not he will get there, just takes a while.

Timebomb, Think you might find that Inglewood had a game against Wandella FC from the Golden Rivers Footbal League. Would have been intereseting if Kerang and Inglewood played each other as we both wear Carlton colours. Think the bombers coach is an old Mitiamo boy and assistant to Filo at Eaglehawk last year, name escapes me. Havnt seen Billett since he used to whack everyone each Satyrday, how is the silver fox going out there as coach? Can anyone let me know if Serp still have the big fella Gordon Adlem filling in from time to time, still big and fit last time i saw him. Cheers.

Ahh thanks for that information, I am being told as we speak that Wandella is coached by Wilson ex Miti, and that would make sense as it is an ex miti boy standing here telling me that Inglewood played well, but in saying that are Wandella any sought of team to compare against. Where the heck is it anyway? They must be all right to attract Wilson there to coach, any reports on how Newbridge went in their practice match?

Surfing the threads and couldnt help but see this. Feel for the bloke, i had the same injury last year, snapped Tibia and Fibula, I'm a bit old and past it but this bloke still has a chance if he gets the right treatment. Hope he got Dayananda as his surgeon in bendigo, bloody brilliant man. It's a long road and I know how the bloke feels, chin up and a speady recovery. For anyone who isnt sure and if the information is correct it is a similar break to nathan BROWN from Richmond, compound fracture or not he will get there, just takes a while.

Yeah very nasty injury, will take a good 3-4 years to get back close to where he was before the break

No doubt country footy is struggling. Problem is that alot of these country towns / areas within our league are also struggling. Have a look at the league. Pyramid, Miti, Calivil, Inglewood, Bridgewater, Newbridge, Serp all have populations that are reducing not growing. They just don't have the populations to provide the numbers required. The Bendigo based clubs are in competition with alot of other clubs and find it difficult to attract players.

So what do they do to attract players? Offer money. So the league starts to be made up of the have's and the have not's. I am aware that Calivil buck this trend. They have been hugely successful whilst not paying alot of money however they have been lucky in a way that they just seemed to have a lot of locals over the past years who don't get paid much and have been able to top up with class players. However these local are getting older and there is not necessarily a new batch coming through.

The vast majority of top sides in the LVFL will have less than 25% local players in their senior sides. Sad but true.

One way I have heard of that teams are using to attract a steady stream of young players to the league is to offer U17 players $20-30 per week to play. It may be rumour but I understand Calivil did this last year.

Personally I don't agree with paying under aged players to play footy. It may be just me but I think it sends exactly the wrong message to young footballers.

I suggest the league adopts a "Player Points System" such as that introduced to the Central Murray Football league. The main objectives of the system are to:
  1. Encourage clubs to develop and promote their junior players
  2. Encourage clubs to recruit new players from outside the league
  3. Better manage increasing player payments and improve the financial stability of clubs.
You would need to tinker with the system to get it to work for the LVFL but at least the system works to make the league stronger and more healthy as apposed to slowly running it down like the current one.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with the points system to give us some information on how it has worked and if it would help the LVFL.

Ash Wilson is coaching Wandella and last time i saw Billett seems he has mellowed a little bit hehehe

great reply 'kevinsheedyismad', others must have ideas about this too, speak up, Hellboy, Frankenfurter, and the other regular contributors, where is the brains trust???

What do you think, what is the answer, ???

No doubt country footy is struggling. Problem is that alot of these country towns / areas within our league are also struggling. Have a look at the league. Pyramid, Miti, Calivil, Inglewood, Bridgewater, Newbridge, Serp all have populations that are reducing not growing. They just don't have the populations to provide the numbers required. The Bendigo based clubs are in competition with alot of other clubs and find it difficult to attract players.

So what do they do to attract players? Offer money. So the league starts to be made up of the have's and the have not's. I am aware that Calivil buck this trend. They have been hugely successful whilst not paying alot of money however they have been lucky in a way that they just seemed to have a lot of locals over the past years who don't get paid much and have been able to top up with class players. However these local are getting older and there is not necessarily a new batch coming through.

The vast majority of top sides in the LVFL will have less than 25% local players in their senior sides. Sad but true.

One way I have heard of that teams are using to attract a steady stream of young players to the league is to offer U17 players $20-30 per week to play. It may be rumour but I understand Calivil did this last year.

Personally I don't agree with paying under aged players to play footy. It may be just me but I think it sends exactly the wrong message to young footballers.

I suggest the league adopts a "Player Points System" such as that introduced to the Central Murray Football league. The main objectives of the system are to:
  1. Encourage clubs to develop and promote their junior players
  2. Encourage clubs to recruit new players from outside the league
  3. Better manage increasing player payments and improve the financial stability of clubs.
You would need to tinker with the system to get it to work for the LVFL but at least the system works to make the league stronger and more healthy as apposed to slowly running it down like the current one.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with the points system to give us some information on how it has worked and if it would help the LVFL.

Honestly don't believe that a points based system can work not only in the LVFL but the three leagues in the Bendigo district.

While the concept is noble in it's desire to stop having an English Premier League style league where you only have 4 sides that can possibly compete for the flag in reality it won't work. If a player isn't recruited or isn't chased by an Elmore, Mounts, Newbridge because they have hit their cap in terms of points they aren't more likey to play for a Huntly, Inglewood, Marong (which i believe is the aim of the cap system, to more evenly distribute the top talent across a league) because they are spoilt for choice in where they can play. If they want to play for money, they can travel an hour from Bendigo and play in the Nth Central League or Murray league, if they are more interested in playing at a higher level they have the BFL or the GVFL or even Ballarat Football League.

What may occur is a shift in philosphy in terms of "big money" players, will the shift be away from a 27 - 30 year old bloke who has played footy in major country leagues or the VFL because they cost a team too much in terms of points? Will this mean that a kid who has played BFL or GVFL under 18's is worth more in terms of dollars to a club simply because someone has decided in terms of points he is worth less than the older player?

I don't believe it can work as a system because the two district leagues are unable to develop juniors because any good junior should be encouraged by his club to go and play under 18 football in Bendigo and then they are relying on goodwill for the kid to come back to the district club.

The idea like i said is a noble one, but in terms of implementation i believe the bendigo region is a nightmare to try and make this work.

However it is a topic worthy of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back