Remove this Banner Ad

Trjn

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's the final straw for me.

We've been the subject of dodgy umpiring for a long time and have witnessed some of the most appalling one-sided games in recent memory. Tonight was the tipping point and now I am going to lodge a complaint to the AFL in whatever capacity I can as a member of the Lions and encourage everyone else here to do so as well.

This is simply not good enough.

Now, let me be clear, I'm not blaming our loss entirely on the umpires. But they were terrible. If that is the level of umpiring that is to be deemed acceptable, then I don't know if I want to continue following this sport.

The AFL would be thrilled by this result, and by the umpires' performance.

I don't regard it as a coincidence that the AFL's new baby received an armchair ride from the AFL's employees in the GC's most significant game this season.

Haha, there was an almost identical thread on the Freo board last week. According to the fans, the AFL have a vendetta against all 17 clubs...

Anyone here who thinks the umpires cost us the game needs to re-watch the game as punishment for being stupid. Honestly, if you can say we deserved to win that match at any point of the match you have no idea what's going on.

Like I said:

Now, let me be clear, I'm not blaming our loss entirely on the umpires. But they were terrible. If that is the level of umpiring that is to be deemed acceptable, then I don't know if I want to continue following this sport.

AFL's a tough game to umpire and there will always be dodgy decisions, because umpires are human. Sometimes the weight of the dodgy decisions balances out, other times it will favour one team or another. You have to be good enough to take advantage when it favours you, and you have to be good enough to compensate when it goes against you. That's all there is to it. If the team is not good enough - blaming the umpires is simply failing to address the problem.

I don't blame the umpires for Brisbane losing. I do blame them for consistently poor decisions that repeatedly favoured the Suns.

I'd have felt the same way if we'd won. Or if we'd lost by ten goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone here who thinks the umpires cost us the game needs to re-watch the game as punishment for being stupid. Honestly, if you can say we deserved to win that match at any point of the match you have no idea what's going on.

dumb post!!! cant see many people completely blamming the umpires...just fenting one to the manys frustrations with our team

I think the Lions board needs to take control here and let the supporters know they have taken notice of the poor umpiring and will do something about it!!!!
We've got your lot next week at the Gabba & i'm a bit worried that Essendon is going to be the victim of a square up. We already had 1 game this year v Sydney decided by umpiring & tonight, although you were poor, you copped some some awful decisions. Could say it quite easily cost you the match. That goal umpiring decision in the 2nd 1/4 was beyond bad.

I too am worried about the square up game next week. Umpiring was dodgy to the point that either:
a) the AFL directed the slime bags to do it or
b) they had a bet at some juicy odds

either way I commented when you drew level late in the 4th that they would receive a free kick that decided the game.. sure enough 3 free kicks later the game was theirs.. when you can PREDICT free's.. its a worry. Not to mention the absolute howler hit to the goal post.. honestly!

You played poorly and should have won but as I always say.. very very hard to beat the men in green (or yellow or red)! Absolute disgrace and the AFL should take note that supporters notice. The very definition of conflict of interest when the body that PAYS the umpires OWNS the team they are umpiring.. just unbelievable really...

AFL's a tough game to umpire and there will always be dodgy decisions, because umpires are human. Sometimes the weight of the dodgy decisions balances out, other times it will favour one team or another. You have to be good enough to take advantage when it favours you, and you have to be good enough to compensate when it goes against you. That's all there is to it. If the team is not good enough - blaming the umpires is simply failing to address the problem.

There's plenty that has been said about the state of the club right now. No need to make another thread addressing that.

I understand that umpires are humans, but this is a professional sport that just landed a >$1 billion TV rights deal. This standard of umpiring is not good enough and needs to be addressed by the AFL, if we as fans don't tell the AFL that this isn't good enough, what motivation do they have to correct the problem?

dumb post!!! cant see many people completely blamming the umpires...just fenting one to the manys frustrations with our team

Tell me what's stupid with the post. I've seen some pretty stupid posts on this board (not specific to this thread) about the umpiring and funnily enough it happens most weeks when we lose. In fact, it happens with a lot of teams that lose.

Lodging a complaint with the AFL will do nothing -- it's a pointless exercise.. Many teams have copped it from the umps in the past and many teams will cop it from the umps in the future. Welcome to the world run by humans.

27 - 11.

I concede we were the second best team out there tonight, but sometimes it is the frees that are not paid that drive me crazy. In my opinion (as one eyed as it is) Liam Patrick did not dispose of the ball when tackled late in the last quarter correctly. Play on was called, then a free paid to the Suns.

Can anyone watching the game on TV let me know if that ball actually hit the post? I was 60m around on the boundary from it and it looked well and truly looked like it did.:confused:

Can anyone watching the game on TV let me know if that ball actually hit the post? I was 60m around on the boundary from it and it looked well and truly looked like it did.:confused:

Yes, ball hit almost the middle of the post and deviated around 20 degrees.

27 - 11.

I concede we were the second best team out there tonight, but sometimes it is the frees that are not paid that drive me crazy. In my opinion (as one eyed as it is) Liam Patrick did not dispose of the ball when tackled late in the last quarter correctly. Play on was called, then a free paid to the Suns.

The ball did hit the post well and truly!!!!!!!!

Yes. And not just a glancing blow either as seen on this hot spot image caught

crickethotspot.jpg

You mean the Shaw goal right?
Yeah and it was pretty obvious especially in slow mo. On the ump mics it sounded like no one would take responsibility for the call, so benefit of the doubt went to the goal kicker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lodging a complaint with the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back