Lodging a complaint with the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

27 - 11.

I concede we were the second best team out there tonight, but sometimes it is the frees that are not paid that drive me crazy. In my opinion (as one eyed as it is) Liam Patrick did not dispose of the ball when tackled late in the last quarter correctly. Play on was called, then a free paid to the Suns.

Can anyone watching the game on TV let me know if that ball actually hit the post? I was 60m around on the boundary from it and it looked well and truly looked like it did.:confused:
Yes. What about Bock tapping the ball over the boundary line, throw in. Stiller does the same and it is deliberate! Oh and Liam Patrick dropped the ball , play on, Zac Smith dives on the ball and gets a free for nothing, than Matera picks up the ball after play had completely stopped, kicks the goal and the ump pays it, bloody green maggots. Anyway the Lions didn't deserve to win tonight but that umpiring was almost as bad as the Freo game and the Patrick incident nearly identical to the Hill one!

You mean the Shaw goal right?
Yeah and it was pretty obvious especially in slow mo. On the ump mics it sounded like no one would take responsibility for the call, so benefit of the doubt went to the goal kicker.

I could have sworn there was a situation a couple of weeks ago (I don't recall who was playing) but there was an incident where a player was claiming to have touched the ball before it crossed the line and the umps said that because they couldn't be 100% certain they had to go with the lesser decision -- that being a point. I didn't hear the conversation between the umps because I had people over and everyone was yelling that it was a point (like most people would have been:mad:) but they must have been certain it didn't hit the post.

I could have sworn there was a situation a couple of weeks ago (I don't recall who was playing) but there was an incident where a player was claiming to have touched the ball before it crossed the line and the umps said that because they couldn't be 100% certain they had to go with the lesser decision -- that being a point. I didn't hear the conversation between the umps because I had people over and everyone was yelling that it was a point (like most people would have been:mad:) but they must have been certain it didn't hit the post.

Don't know the actual rules on it.. but I think I remember that as well. I'll check the footage tomorrow and listen carefully.

sure the free kick count was their favour but generally it happens to the player that gets to the ball first more often than not

sure have the rant but cant we take responsibility for the way we played?

Can anyone remember a more blatant poster ever being awarded a goal?

I sure can't and I've watched a lot of footy games over a lot of years.

That and some of the other howlers that went against us, was like watching a game of under 8's where one of the kid's Dad was the umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i agree and think Brisbane were mugged.im sure most supporters are realistic with where there club is at,and how poorly they are playing,but the standard of umpiring is atrocious,I was watching{as a freo supporter]and called 3 free kicks to Brisbane in the last couple of mins,only for Gold Coast to get awarded the kick and the play on goal......game over.The AFL have just signed a billion dollar deal and cant even supply us with full time,professional umpires.Its ok to say itdidnt cost us the game,but it has to be fixed and it is costing games,it was the same when the Gold Coast beat Port.I feel your pain mate,being an unfashionable team,outside melbourne seems to only make getting a fair go harder.

dominated in every key facet of the game, stoppages, cp's, i50's and its the umpires fault?

Why do people have such difficulty separating the umpire's performance from the player's performance?

Does playing badly mean the umpires did no wrong?

Why do people have such difficulty separating the umpire's performance from the player's performance?

Does playing badly mean the umpires did no wrong?

We played awful and lost because of our awfulness.

Yet the umpires too, were awful.

But regardless, we still deserved to lose.

I think that covers it.

An umpiring decision will never cost you the game in my opinion. However, I've travelled down for two games - Freo and Gold Coast - this year so far and the umpires have sure made it difficult to win.

It's very frustrating to spend up on flights, only to see such bad umpiring. I'll readily admit that we benefited from a few decisions, but once again in the crucial stages we miss a holding the ball decision in our back half. The umpires' first quarter was almost as bad as Brisbane's.

I reckon Voss should send off a letter of complaint about the entire Lions predicament and demand answers from the AFL as to why we are so crap. It seems that he must have few ideas of his own on this topic.

Honestly, sending off letters of complaint to the AFL about umpiring is an embarrassment.

sure the free kick count was their favour but generally it happens to the player that gets to the ball first more often than not

sure have the rant but cant we take responsibility for the way we played?

I didn't see the game, I was listening to the radio, but the commentators were mentioning the inconsistency of the umpires. Most of the high contact against us was there, but the umpires were letting high contact on our players go. Similar to holding the ball decisions. The overall count doesn't matter too much, but it's the inconsistency that shits me.

I wouldn't go looking too far for conspiracies though. Two rookie umpires, as someone pointed out pre-game in the preview thread. Apparently it turns out that they're just shit.

A lots been said and yes the Lions were atrocious, but still their efforts were not helped by some umpiring decisions.

Of the Umpires, all have to be given the opportunity on the big stage, but I would have thought that blooding new umpires into the AFL would place newbies with experienced umpires.

The AFL currently have 32 umpires, of this 32, 6 have less than 20 games experience, believe it or not we struck 2 of those last night, Jennings with 14 games and Ryan with 2, I really think this is very poor.

There are 11 umpires with less that 50 games experience, it should not be to difficult to have 1 inexperienced umpire with 2 experienced umpires (+50 games) for each match.

It cant be that hard.

I reckon Voss should send off a letter of complaint about the entire Lions predicament and demand answers from the AFL as to why we are so crap. It seems that he must have few ideas of his own on this topic.

Honestly, sending off letters of complaint to the AFL about umpiring is an embarrassment.

Yeah, Ok....granted....letters of complaint aren't going to do one scrap of good.

But come on Stocka....do you really blame people for venting their feelings and feeling robbed by what was one of the most blatantly one-sided exhibition of umpiring ever likely to be seen?

Yes we are crap...but incompetent, biased umpiring is a separate issue and needs to be treated as such.

Suck it up, Luthor.

The Lions have far bigger worries than the umpiring of last night on their plate at the moment. Complaining about the umpires at this time only makes us look even more pathetic than we have been over the last two seasons.

If anything, Voss should send a letter of complaint in about the fact that his magic 8-ball gave him the wrong advice last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lodging a complaint with the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back