Lodging a complaint with the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

they did plenty wrong, like awarding Clark a mark that he dropped, only for him to kick an important final quarter goal

What about the Rocca point in the 02 GF that wasnt a goal that was a goal that wasnt a point and the point is that it wasnt a goal cause it was a point you ****!

These collingwood gimps just love to rub salt into the wound...never have gotten over being shamed on 02 and 03...scum!

They gob off on every word of eddie and fail to see the hypocrisy.

What about the Rocca point in the 02 GF that wasnt a goal that was a goal that wasnt a point and the point is that it wasnt a goal cause it was a point you ****!

These collingwood gimps just love to rub salt into the wound...never have gotten over being shamed on 02 and 03...scum!

They gob off on every word of eddie and fail to see the hypocrisy.

Yeah, I'm confused.

As a neutral supporter watching the game I got the impression that the umps were doing everything in their power to get the suns home, I think they are under instructions from the AFL to be very leiniant with the Suns, while the Lions were very poor they were definately robbed, one of the worst umpiring efforts in memory, lions fans have every reason to be pi##ed off.

Not going to make any difference, other than prove to us all you are a sook blaming umpires for YOUR TEAM'S EFFORT.

1. Supporters of ALL clubs should complain to the AFL about the standard of umpiring. Rule changes and changes in interpretation don't help, but everygame sees TOO many obvious errors. If everyone is complaining then surely eventually they will have to do something.

2. Although you could argue the Lions would have got across the line but for some crucial decisions, I am pretty sure all Lions supporters acknowlege
our team was rubbish enough to lose. This thread is not about umps costing the game but simply the umpiring was shit.
If the same incidents occurred in reverse ie. swap teams around, then the same comments would still apply to the umpiring. shit umpiring is still shit umpiring. And the umpiring, regardless of which way it went last night was shit. Some real clangers went our way too like Clarks non-mark and a couple of HTB that should have been. The general standard of umpiring is bad enough to warrant "please explains" being sent to the AFL.

3.I've said it b4 in another thread, who are these non-Lions supporters who think it is ok to come here and bag. Not the bay and not the main board. Rude pricks.

27 - 11.

I concede we were the second best team out there tonight, but sometimes it is the frees that are not paid that drive me crazy. In my opinion (as one eyed as it is) Liam Patrick did not dispose of the ball when tackled late in the last quarter correctly. Play on was called, then a free paid to the Suns.

Can anyone watching the game on TV let me know if that ball actually hit the post? I was 60m around on the boundary from it and it looked well and truly looked like it did.:confused:

Spot on. My stubbie nearly went through the tele when that was called play on and the ball hit the post no doubt. The umps refused to look at the TV footage and only consulted themselves when clearly not one of them had any idea if it did or didn't.

Ablett only had to whimper to get a free every time he went near it too, drove me nuts.

Spot on. My stubbie nearly went through the tele when that was called play on and the ball hit the post no doubt. The umps refused to look at the TV footage and only consulted themselves when clearly not one of them had any idea if it did or didn't.

Ablett only had to whimper to get a free every time he went near it too, drove me nuts.
I take it the mercenaries were in charge of the big screen last night - they didn't show many of the replays of the more questionable decisions, just saw a lot of that horrid red and gold logo.

I take it the mercenaries were in charge of the big screen last night - they didn't show many of the replays of the more questionable decisions, just saw a lot of that horrid red and gold logo.

I nearly got to count all of the stubble on Abletts melon the amount of times they showed him on the bench.

Got to 325 for the record but couldn't quite get the view I needed behind his left ear, oh well.... we play em again.

As a neutral supporter watching the game I got the impression that the umps were doing everything in their power to get the suns home, I think they are under instructions from the AFL to be very leiniant with the Suns, while the Lions were very poor they were definately robbed, one of the worst umpiring efforts in memory, lions fans have every reason to be pi##ed off.

Yeah, I agree entirely. Although I would be extremely shocked if this actually happened (the umpires being under direct instructions from the AFL), but I reckon that most footy fans that watched the game were thinking exactly the same thing.

The game / performance of our team and the umpiring performance are 2 different things. Umpiring is in no way connected to our lose or bad bad bad form. But, as a seperate point, it was one of the single worse games of umpiring i have seen. Every little touchy thing was quickly awarded to the Suns, yet our guys got smashed around the head and had their backs jumping into and got nothing. Suns players illegally disposed of the ball, and nothing.

On a side note, i did see Nichols had a few bad calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony Shaw made an excellent point: Why did the goal umpire, who would have been positioned near the goal post to his right, then move to the left post? What possible advantage is there from moving that far around?

Acuguy's missus was in the front row of the stands in the pocket and she was leaning forward and you could get a better look at her cleavage from the position that the goal umpired moved into. :thumbsu:

I don't know, i might be mistaken but i'm pretty sure if there is any doubt over whether or not it is a goal then the lesser score has to be given over the bigger score. Saw it in a game a few weeks ago so not sure why it wasn't payed in this game?

I would love to see a different angle.
I am not sure the goal ump was actually watching the ball when it hit, but rather the players around the post. Maybe he was worried about being knocked over.

I don't know, i might be mistaken but i'm pretty sure if there is any doubt over whether or not it is a goal then the lesser score has to be given over the bigger score. Saw it in a game a few weeks ago so not sure why it wasn't payed in this game?

Yeah, I brought that up in a discussion with Thermonuclear. We'll have to see what Giesch has to say about it after they do their reviews.

It should be the lesser score to keep in consistent.

If the goal umpire doesn't see any deflection, then all he can do is call it as he sees it.

I'm guessing that the only reason the umpires questioned it was because of the players' reaction.

I would much rather have the method in which umps come to their decision cleared up. Either they use the lesser score or, my preference, go with their instinct. Either way you'll get human error mistakes, but at least we know how they are going to make their judgement.

What do you guys think of the Video replay rule to clear things up if there is any doubt. Personally i am a huge fan of it because you only have to wait for about 30 seconds to a minute for a decision to be made and it could be the difference between winning or losing the match.

I always the thought was that the goal umpire's call is final, and they just call it like they see it unless there's evidence from the other umpires to the contrary.

They could use a form of video.
In the time the field ump consulted with everyone last night a replay would have been able to be viewed by an off field ump.
We don't want them watching 10 replays and holding up the game but that decision would have taken 10 seconds.
If the field ump has an ear piece, the video ump just jumps in with a " saw it hit the post" or in the case of Port v Hawks "Logan got a fist in" and that's that. If he's not quick enough too bad play goes on.

Maybe they should do that on the sly so they don't have the world scrutenising the video ump, it just makes the field umps look better when we start saying "good decision ump, well picked up"

What do you guys think of the Video replay rule to clear things up if there is any doubt. Personally i am a huge fan of it because you only have to wait for about 30 seconds to a minute for a decision to be made and it could be the difference between winning or losing the match.

I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand I want the decisions to be correct but, on the other hand, I fear that we could become like NRL refs where they don't have any balls to make decisions on their own when it comes to tries.

Also, 30secs in a game of footy is longer than you may think. I say that because there was stats released recently showing the average qtr length was blown out by 5min over the past 5yrs (I think). The AFL and its broadcasters would want the game to be easily shown in the 3hr timeslot so they would want to avoid further delays to the game.

EDIT: An idea I don't mind considering is an NHL style review where there are people upstairs who review each goal during the break in play. If there's something they want to review, they'll then notify the refs on the ice and stop play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lodging a complaint with the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back