Toast Looking for the Lynch Toast Thread ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what this will do for the guys confidence?

I have always seen something and just thought that he would be a solid player, but can he become something more??

He looks to be a player who knows how to find the football as a lead up player and also knows how to find the odd goal (good set shot). But today he was more of a focal point closer to goal and he seemed to thrive on it in terms of confidence.

I am interested to see how he goes about it for the next few games

Yep. Lynch has a bit of the old 'straightback' carriage and a 'running on the spot' look about him which
leads people to initially discount him as a footballer. I'm hoping he continues to improve and develop his one-on-one contest game as a forward. He rarely fails to get his name on the scoreboard. His attributes are he kicks straight and his ability to put himself INTO SPACE is second to none.

I really enjoyed watching Lynchy yesterday, it shows that he could be a consistent solid contributor, he has a similar aerobic capacity to Riewoldt and is a decent kick at goal. Using Lynch and Jenkins as forwards and Smack as a pinch hitter in the ruck and forward seemed to actually work really well.

Super effort by Lynchy. I posted on facebook how it's good that we've got goalkicking options when everyone reckoned we'd have none after losing Tippett and Walker, and copped a whole heap of stick about how it's only GWS and all that. Shouldn't matter. You don't just roll up and kick 10 goals, or the team scire 180. The players still have to actually kick the goals.

I'll admit I'd tagged Lynch as a handy player but nothing special. Thought he could play a role as a roaming forward on a half forward flank, covering plenty of ground but not providing a genuine marking option. Will watch with interest in the next month.

I've warned you about not listening to me.

Will be very interesting to see how he goes over the next few weeks, can definitely play a role up forward but is there something more to him than most of us first thought? Time will tell.

The one thing I've liked about him since arriving is his ability to find space. This skill can be underestimated as the end product is uncontested possession in a world where contested possession is deemed king. The only other player on our list who has this skill is Walker IMO .

It's not like at this level the opposition is not paying attention, it's a skill based on reading the play and also a decent tank. Why crash packs if you can get an I50 uncontested mark.

GWS or not, 10 goals in a game of AFL footy is a massive effort! Awesome stuff from the Chief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't find the thread where we discussed it, but the race for AFC leading goalkicker is on in earnest now... Up until the weekend, Tex was still the clubhouse leader. We now have:

Dangerfield 13
Lynch 12
Jenkins 12
Walker 10
Douglas 9

The one thing I've liked about him since arriving is his ability to find space. This skill can be underestimated as the end product is uncontested possession in a world where contested possession is deemed king. The only other player on our list who has this skill is Walker IMO .

It's not like at this level the opposition is not paying attention, it's a skill based on reading the play and also a decent tank. Why crash packs if you can get an I50 uncontested mark.

Not withstanding the fact that I think any toast threads after a game against GWS should be banned, this is a really good post. He has a genuine football brain - and that's a quality you really can't teach.

I thought he was very impressive in the pre-season of 2012 and was somewhat disappointed he didn't get more of a crack last year - admittedly it was pretty hard to break into our forward line.

A message to the fans - please keep a lid on it. This guy needs breathing space to develop and find his feet consistently at AFL level, and once he does, he has the potential to become a great utility player for us, including a ripper foil for our number one or two forwards.

He'll be up and about to talk on his old side this weekend :)

TEN goal TOM
What a fantastic effort from only a handful of games.
As has been said earlier, big hauls are a rarity these days, when was the last 10 goal game from a player ?
I hope he shows something against the Saints next week too.
Has been good for us this year

Sheed's comments:

Giants coach Kevin Sheedy said he tried almost everything to stop Lynch.
"Let's face it, you don't kick 10 goals often in your life and we put every backline player of a reasonable height we could put on him to shut him down," Sheedy said.

"But when the opposition has it in 25 more times than what we did, it's sort of like going to breakfast and you don't have to cook for yourself. It just gets put on the plate for you."

The following podcast talks about lynch right at the start.

http://www.upstart.net.au/2013/05/13/one-percenters-podcast-feasting-forwards/

Interesting point made, that while people can say "oh it's against GWS it doesn't matter" a team plays the Giants each week, and huge goalkicking performances don't happen each week. In fact, they happen extremely rarely (only 6 other active players have achieved a 10+ goal haul)

It's kind've an obvious thing to say, but it's also something that people seem to overlook.

And the trade to get lynch from st kilda is mentioned too, which I'd forgot about and is an interesting three-way deal

I couldn't work out how he found so much clean air watching him on TV. After his 3rd goal yesterday I stopped watching Jenkins movement patterns and started watching his instead, and I was freaking astounded by his work rate. Most of the times you saw him leading his player to the ball in the F50 wasn't because he just got a good jump off the mark or slipped away when the fullback wasn't looking - the bloke literally runs around non-stop at a half-sprint until the FB just drops off him in exhaustion and can't go with him.

Add to this the fact that he's constantly doing this running into areas of space, and it's a wonder he doesn't get more goals than he already does. I think yesterday he literally just ran every opponent who went to him off their feet, combined with a couple of contested marks, a cheapie or two and a couple on the run.

I would love to see his GPS data because I reckon he may have covered more ground than some of the GWS midfield. I'm not surprised he was finding so much of the ball for Glenelg.

He's in the top 10 for average marks this year in the league isn't he? That indicates his work rate right there.

Edit: he's averaging 8.8 per game from his 4 games. Sitting at 4th in AFL.

He's in the top 10 for average marks this year in the league isn't he? That indicates his work rate right there.

Edit: he's averaging 8.8 per game from his 4 games. Sitting at 4th in AFL.
That is some Luke-Jericho style power-running right there!

I'll admit I'd tagged Lynch as a handy player but nothing special. Thought he could play a role as a roaming forward on a half forward flank, covering plenty of ground but not providing a genuine marking option. Will watch with interest in the next month.
Ditto that.

Will be ecstatic if the Lynch pin proves me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back