Toast Looking for the Lynch Toast Thread ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Lynch's game a sign of things to come or was it another Stevens Final that will get mentioned every time his form lapses?
Will most likely never come close to kicking ten again, and his form will most definitely drop as hes played less than 20 games. But it shows he can definitely play and will do his confidence the world of good, which may equate to better games. Did he play in the midfield against the Hawks? he was in the back pocket at stages

Is Lynch's game a sign of things to come or was it another Stevens Final that will get mentioned every time his form lapses?

I can't see him kicking 10 again in his career, but if he continues to get games I don't see why he won't become a quality player. He knows where to run, how to find space, and has an excellent work rate. I actually thought he was quite good in his short appearances last season, but I guess our form and run with injury didn't allow him much game time.

Of course there is always the potential for the 10 to become a millstone and ammunition for critics.

Just reading through his junior assessments, and based upon what we have seen, my gut feeling is Tom will offer us a bit more over the journey which should cocoon him from too much of the 10 goal hero stuff.

This week Lynch has to go back to the team and say I am just a nobody who gets a game and is now secure for a while. He needs to take the pressure off himself. If he goes into the game with high expectations he will muff it (who can replicate or expect to relicate a 10 goal game?). He needs to go back with the expectations he went in with a week or two ago. I hope he has his head right.

Then what were you asking?
Whether he'll become a good player - consistent, always best 22.

Or will he remain around the fringes with the "he kicked 10 goals in a game once" line thrown around as reason to bring him back in

Whether he'll become a good player - consistent, always best 22.

Or will he remain around the fringes with the "he kicked 10 goals in a game once" line thrown around as reason to bring him back in
Which is exactly what Scott Stevens was.. as per your original question.

Stevens was never a fringe player, from the time when he established himself in 2006 until concussions put an end to his career in 2011. Yes, you love to put him down (just like Douglas), but the fact remains that he was a good, consistent player who was always best 22 for that 5-year period.

Gee, I remember before the start of last season, when Sando said "Lynch will probably play up forward, and Johnston down back".

At the time I thought Sando might have had a couple of drinks, because 1) Johnston was ahead of Lynch (My perceptions at the time), and 2) Lynch played defence in the VFL.

Certainly looked a complete natural against GWS. I tend to lean towards him being a pretty permanent member of the 22 from now on, and being a genuine forward target. Last week wasn't a one off. Not necessarily more 10 goal matches, but continued performances as a genuine forward.

I was trying to remember this morning who we picked up from the Gunston picks.... I am pretty sure Lynch was one of them... Softens the blow a bit if true... Who were the others?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying to remember this morning who we picked up from the Gunston picks.... I am pretty sure Lynch was one of them... Softens the blow a bit if true... Who were the others?

Lynch was part of a three way trade with Maric and Pick #37. Pretty sure the Johnston trade and Kerridge were part of the Gunston deal of DPs

EDIT:
From the Gunston trade we got #24, #46 and #64
We then on traded #24 to GC for #27, #31 and #68
Armstrong, #35 and #68 for Johnston
#31 for JJ and #41

In the Draft:
#27: Kerridge
#41: Grigg
#46: Joyce
#64: CEY

So Gunston (plus some DPs) turned into #27 (Kerridge) #31 (Jenkins and Grigg) #46 (Joyce) #64 (CEY) and one of the DPs in the Johnston trade

Complicated trade period for us but it went as follows:

Adelaide Traded Gunston, Pick 53, Pick 72 ----> Hawks for Pick 24, 46 (Joyce), 64 (Ellis Yolman)
We then ontraded Pick 24 ----> GC for Pick 27 (Kerridge), 31, 68
Then Traded Maric -------> Richmond for Pick 37
Then traded Pick 37 ----------> St Kilda for Tom Lynch
We then traded Armstrong, Pick 35 & 68 ----------> Sydney for Lewis Johnston
We then traded Pick 31----------> Ess for Jenkins & Pick 41 (Mitch Grigg)
We also traded Pick 10 & Compo Pick (Phil Davis) ---------> GWS for Brad Crouch & Luke Brown

I think we did pretty good in that offseason considering we had Davis, Maric, Gunston & Armstrong either walk out or leave

We replaced them with Joyce, Ellis Yolman, Kerridge, Lynch, Johnston, Jenkins, Grigg, Crouch & Brown

Thanks guys... A few more good games by Lynch, Jenkins and Kerridge and it will be thread worthy!

And Davis and pick 10 for Crouch and Brown is also looking good.....

Damn you Tippett!

Thanks guys... A few more good games by Lynch, Jenkins and Kerridge and it will be thread worthy!

And Davis and pick 10 for Crouch and Brown is also looking good.....

Damn you Tippett!

Wait and see if Crouch makes the most of his potential this could be the biggest steal ever in comparison to the other mini draft trades:

Jaeger O'Meara cost GC Picks 4 & 31,
Jesse Hogan (and Dom Barry) cost Melb Picks 3 & 13
Jack Martin cost GC Picks 2 & 63

The Stevens line was only brought out because Craig was mentioning Stevens' flexibility. He's "not just a defender", as such.

Lynch is a forward, so there will be no need to bring it out. If he doesn't kick a goal for two months, saying "well he kicked ten goals once" wouldn't placate anybody and wouldn't be said.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Lynch play forward of centre in the SANFL.

He is filling a need at the moment in the forward line for the Crows, but the fact is, he's a utility who has the ability to play forward and back. In fact, if you take the total games he's played in his senior career (VFL, AFL and SANFL) I think you'll find he's played more in defense than attack. If Tex was fit right now and 1 or 2 first choice defenders (eg Rutten and Otten) were injured, Lynch would be playing in defense. I have no doubt about that.

With Tex back next season, its quite likely that Lynch will play in defense regularly in 2014 and beyond, particularly with the inevitable retirement of Truck either at the end of 2013 or 2014.

To that end, he's very much in the Scott Stevens mold. A handy utility 'Mr Fix-it' type player who bobs up every now and then with a cracking game but for the most part just contributes a solid performance most weeks and always deserves his place in the 22.

You're right that he can play back. I'm probably being unfair pigeon-holing him at a forward, but the Crows seem to view him solely as a forward at AFL level. But certainly he has the ability and experience to play down back. I just don't think he'll end up there. I can see him staying in our forward line even once Walker comes back. Long term I don't think we'll have all three of Jacobs, McKernan and Jenkins in our side at the same time, and one of them will go out with Walker's return.

Once you take all the tiny leftover bits out of it, Gunston effectively turned into Kerridge, Grigg, Jenkins and Ellis-Yolmen. If Jenkins can step up and take Gunston's role as a forward who slots a couple of goals a week, we'll end up in front there on Kerridge's form alone. Otherwise that's probably a loss.

Lynch was a separate trade from Gunston, effectively we swapped him for Maric in a three-way deal. The third trade commodity was pick 37 which St Kilda ended up using to select Jack Newnes, who has since played 12 games in a season and a half, so that trade looks to have been a rare case of win-win-win.

Johnston was also a (mostly) separate trade, effectively for Armstrong, with just a couple of sweeteners throw in to get the trade over the line.

Which is exactly what Scott Stevens was.. as per your original question.

Stevens was never a fringe player, from the time when he established himself in 2006 until concussions put an end to his career in 2011. Yes, you love to put him down (just like Douglas), but the fact remains that he was a good, consistent player who was always best 22 for that 5-year period.
The 6 goal final got trotted out by Craig every few weeks as defence of Stevens.

If Lynch 'makes it' there won't be the need to keep referencing his past - his current output will be enough to justify his spot.

Stevens was a regular for the same reason that Craig ultimately had no success and no longer coaches us.

Stevens was a regular for the same reason that Craig ultimately had no success and no longer coaches us.
Keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep well at night. The fact that there's not even the remotest bit of truth to your statement certainly isn't anything new. Agendas.. you've got plenty of them, rarely based in anything other than the finest of tin foil hat theories.

Don't understand the shit Stevens gets. He was a solid player. Every premiership squad has players like that. Not a star by any means but a consistent player who can compete against any opposition.

It wasn't Stevo, it was how he was used, and what the coach thought he was.

This actually exposed him and unfortunately he became a whipping boy.

He was a solid player.

Not as good as his brother Mark though.....

Gunston is a huge talent but i think Jenkins and Kerridge could be a solid win for us in the end let alone Grigg and CEY thrown in. I think Jenkins will end up a special player.

Then we already win with the Davi$/pick 10 for Crouch/Brown.

Noble did some great work that trade period :thumbsu: Happy to have list management in his hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Looking for the Lynch Toast Thread ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back