Toast Looking for the Lynch Toast Thread ?

Remove this Banner Ad

At work I keep hearing 'it was only GWS'.

So I keep saying 'yeah he's just another one those guys that have kicked 10 against them...who's the guy from your team?'

Pretty much that.

Tealster at work: "Oh you only beat GWS we won 5 in a row"

Me: "Wasn't one of those 5 in a row against GWS? Are we counting that in the tally or not?"

Only GWS!! Didn't they lead Essendon at half time last week in Melbourne?

I think the mauling we handed out has not been looked at in the context of what happened last week.

GWS were stiff in the first quarter with their kicking. They missed easy shots. Then had a crack early in the second qtr before The Crows steadied for a handy half time break.
GWS were then "Lynched" during that 3rd quarter onslaught and from there it was goodnight Irene!

Of current players, there are only who have kicked ten in a game according to my scrounging around... makes Tom look pretty good, :thumbsu: kicking ten in a game WITH less than 20 AFL games under his belt...

The numbers are number of times they've kicked ten in a game and how many AFL games they've played..,

Stephen Milne
SK
Jonathan Brown
BL
Lance Franklin
HW
Mark LeCras
WC
Josh Kennedy
CA,WC
Jack Riewoldt
RI

I couldn't work out how he found so much clean air watching him on TV. After his 3rd goal yesterday I stopped watching Jenkins movement patterns and started watching his instead, and I was freaking astounded by his work rate. Most of the times you saw him leading his player to the ball in the F50 wasn't because he just got a good jump off the mark or slipped away when the fullback wasn't looking - the bloke literally runs around non-stop at a half-sprint until the FB just drops off him in exhaustion and can't go with him.

Add to this the fact that he's constantly doing this running into areas of space, and it's a wonder he doesn't get more goals than he already does. I think yesterday he literally just ran every opponent who went to him off their feet, combined with a couple of contested marks, a cheapie or two and a couple on the run.

I would love to see his GPS data because I reckon he may have covered more ground than some of the GWS midfield. I'm not surprised he was finding so much of the ball for Glenelg.
Maybe he learnt the trick from N-Roo, Its true that it was just GWS, but you still had to take opportunities when they come, he kicked superbly, shrugged tackles, ran a marathon and looked for ways to create goals.
hopefully that was the end of pre-season and the boys find their feet now.

Lets just hope he doesn't join the Brian Beinke/Nick Gill/Daniel Schell/Ryan Fitzgerald/Barry Stanfield/Brad Moran group who all had breakout games and kicked a bag (4+) only to go on and have very poor AFL careers with us.

I must admit I haven't been too keen on Lynch as a player - Think he is the type who is far too good for SANFL but will struggle at AFL level. I didn't like what i saw in his 6 games last year (was above average against the bulldogs). Also thought he was pretty vanilla in his games this year (thought he presented very well against Carlton/Hawks but he wasn't damaging with the footy)....

For me the jury is still 100% out on Lynch. I am not trying to take away from his 10 goal performance as it was something very special and pretty damn rare - however it must have an asterisk by it. We were playing a bunch of kids and he kicked 7 of his goals in the 2nd half (in which we started up by 60+ points).... Not trying to take anything away from him, but to me it hasn't proven whether he will be a solid AFL player.

I might get shouted down for this, but Lynch reminds me a lot of Perrie - except with a good leg.

Seems very comfortable taking lead-up marks anywhere from 40-60m, and if he doesn't get it on the first lead he just goes back and starts leading again.
excellent comparisson :thumbsu:

IMO, Tom Lynch is a smaller, skinner (less of a dick head) version of Chad Cornes.

I feel he has a strong future at the AFC and will be a very good forward once he adds more muscle to his frame.

Hopefully he can really develop a strong partnership with Jenkins ths year and when Tex comes back next year, they work collaboratively in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel he has a strong future at the AFC and will be a very good forward once he adds more muscle to his frame.

I don't think he has to do much in that department. You wouldn't want to mess around with his mobility which is a key factor in his game. And he is naturally strong - you can tell.

What is he, 190 and 90?

I don't think he has to do much in that department. You wouldn't want to mess around with his mobility which is a key factor in his game. And he is naturally strong - you can tell.

What is he, 190 and 90?

True and you are correct about mobility but it just look like he can get pushed off the ball a bit easy, especially in the marking contest.

The red hair is just about the only thing they have in common mate.

Don't know about that SP. Both are excellent lead-up marks, both are hard workers, they both even move in a similar way, to my eyes at least. I reckon they both have/had a pretty good feel for the game too, when to lead, where it's likely to go, how to demand the ball and when to dummy-lead. Similar heights (Perrie had an inch on Lynch). Except Lynch kicked 10.2 where Perrie would probably have kicked 4.8 or something :p

True and you are correct about mobility but it just look like he can get pushed off the ball a bit easy, especially in the marking contest.

Fingers crossed, as we go forward, he won't be on too big a defender anyway. By the time the opposition marks up Walker and a ruck-sized forward, their next defender would probably be Lynch's size anyway.

Don't know about that SP. Both are excellent lead-up marks, both are hard workers, they both even move in a similar way, to my eyes at least. I reckon they both have/had a pretty good feel for the game too, when to lead, where it's likely to go, how to demand the ball and when to dummy-lead. Similar heights (Perrie had an inch on Lynch). Except Lynch kicked 10.2 where Perrie would probably have kicked 4.8 or something :p
Lynch is hard working & has beautiful skills. Perrie only had the former. There is very little in common between them. He is more like a Mitchell White from West Coast. That smaller sized KPP utility, who can play either end of the ground.

Perrie's kicking wasn't his only flaw. He also had concrete hands, with the ball seeming to bounce out of them whenever he tried to take a mark.

Give me Lynch's marking and kicking over Perrie's. The area where they are similar is their work rate, with both players being impeccable in this regard.

For those interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_White

Not a big marking player, he was very mobile and had strong hands. Although he wasn't a high profile player he was considered to be a key performer by other clubs. He made the 1996 All-Australian team. Great stamina was his trademark.

• Height- 190 cm
  • Weight- 85 kg

On The Couch are usually pretty good with Crows related stuff, but they haven't even mentioned Lynch's 10 goal haul yet, and focused on Melbourne's shitness yet again for 15min. 360 mentioned it right off the top of the show and Lynchy got some good praise. Surely there is enough time to talk about a guy kicking 10 in a game? I mean cmon, if it was some big name forward in Victoria the circle jerking would have started at the beginning of the show.

Lynch looks like he will be a good player, but i dont expect him to kick regular bags. Will be handy when Tex comes back, and Jenkins keeps improving. He looks like he could cause problems for the opposition as he runs everywhere, and has nice skills. Doesnt seem as though anyones been able to keep up with him since hes come in. Lyons and kerridge were also impressive against GWS, lets hope all three can have good games against a better side this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back