Lovett locked up for drunkeness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds very similar to what Stevie J did in the off season in 2006 - 2007. Its history now how the leadership group at Geelong dealt with the matter.

At least he wasn't driving his car, and the bloke on the radio this morning was well respected Essendon man John Quinn. Hes aboriginal, thats why they locked him up, if it was you or me who are white nothing would have happened.

Stop talking rubbish Brian.

I agree with our fine freo friend just above,

The Saints have to come down UBER HARD NOW, or else they will regret it.

Why would you think they won't?

At least he wasn't driving his car, and the bloke on the radio this morning was well respected Essendon man John Quinn. Hes aboriginal, thats why they locked him up, if it was you or me who are white nothing would have happened.

Yeah, because we all know that Indigenous people are no more likely than white people to get locked up.

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/cfi/181-200/cfi195.aspx

Stop talking rubbish, L2MG.

Look, we know there are issues at tiger land. Gary March and Wallet have been moved on and now Richo has retired, what's next ? Essendon are in limbo with Mcphee walking out and it is clear there are issues there to.

So, I'll give you one bit of advice, don't buy your son the new cricket game on wii, it's garbage. I'm bowling with Johno, 3 dot balls in a row, yeah so thats all well and good. Then he's steaming in bowling a yorker on the blokes toes and he swats me for 6. Ridiculous game. Cross it off the chrissy wishlist.

Look speculation arises every now and then, but the facts remain that we are just supporters of a great club. Whether or not issues (like Essendon and Tiger lands) come into our circle, there isnt much we can do. Speculate , sure, but where's the point ?

What Lovett has done is bad, but maybe this is the wakeup call, just like the one i got when i discovered that the new cricket game is bollox and a complete waste of cash, i may just sell it to cashies. We don't have that luxury for lovett, but i speculate that the future is bright.

Im surprised at your response L2M4G, I ask you this, when was a white 12 year old boy last charged with receiving a freddo frog?
It smacks of racism and I bet they didnt even know who he was but saw that he was indigenous and went 'Yes'.
Moreover, who is the spud cop on the take who leaked it to the media? He/she should be sacked immediately.
How many peoples names are in the paper who were arrested for being pissed walking down the street last weekend? NONE.

No, we only hear about it because he is.

He was arrested for being drunk in a public place, common sense would dictate that he was thrown in the cells to sober up rather than continue celebrations and proceed to get even more inebriated considering the occasion. This could event merely becasue the cops offered him a ride back and he told them he wished to walk (in which case being intoxicated they owe a public service to getting him off the street for his safety and the safety of those in the area if he suddenly turns violent or destructive) to being a down right arseh*le and being disorderly. The information points to the former instead of the latter and thus the only issue is that he was out drinking.

Added to the fact that we had not yet started training as a group, where the hell do people get off screaming that this is culture, karma or we sucked the big one in taking the guy? He has not yet had single training session with the Saints or any of the boys when the incident took place. Yup, I can see how that is entirely our fault and our failing in not sorting him out when he was still on leave from transition from Essendon to St Kilda. Now that he's started training with us, you would largely expect that if he screws up from this point then it'll be cause for concern as it happened int he very least after he's taken to the training track instead of before.

But woah, look out and shout, Lovett and Gardiner at the same club, revisit the 80's people! Grab your tinfoil hats!:cool:

Well Im not famous or black and Ive had many many big sessions.. but Ive never been taken to the police cells at the end of the night for wandering around so drunk I was considered a public nuisance though. And the problem here isnt so much this one incident, its that its one of many.

No-one is blaming St Kilda for this - hes a grown man and its his own fault entirely. Who cares if its the offseason - I would be spewing if I was in a potential premiership squad and a key teammate repetitively played up like this.

for a bloke like lovette who's had trouble in the recent past, you'd want him to have the sense to show the new club that they can have confidence in him, off season or not. but even that's not enough of a reminder for him to curtail his behaviour. i hope it is a wake up call to him and that the saints give him a final warning. everyone who saw the grand final last year wouldn't have begrudged the saints winning it. it would be a shame if the culture wasn't strong enough to get back there and have a crack next year.

Yeh lets not play the race card on this one - he's clearly had too many problems to write it off as hard done by..

I hope they give him another chance - but I seriously doubt itll be anything more than 1 more.

Im surprised at your response L2M4G, I ask you this, when was a white 12 year old boy last charged with receiving a freddo frog?
It smacks of racism and I bet they didnt even know who he was but saw that he was indigenous and went 'Yes'.
Moreover, who is the spud cop on the take who leaked it to the media? He/she should be sacked immediately.
How many peoples names are in the paper who were arrested for being pissed walking down the street last weekend? NONE.

BS - they're two totally unrelated incidents.

However, it is questionable as to why/how lovett ended up in this situation, and sometimes people have just got to take responsibility for their actions. He is a grown man, about to start at a new club ... I have no doubt Ross & leadership group will deal with this accordingly.

Separately, he needs to address his drinking if this is the result of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get excited. By your basis, everything Lovett has done in his life can be attributed to him being aboriginal. He was charged for assaulting his girlfriend because he was aboriginal as well was he? That is an absolute cop out. His profile certainly doesn't help him, but he has a dodgy track record at best and when this is the case, you put one foot wrong and you're in trouble. This is why Michael Gardiner should be commended for pulling his head in.

Just ask Ben Cousins. Getting hauled away by police and being charged with.............NOTHING! I would have thought you would be wiser than to just blame this on race.

Lovett is severely lacking in discipline and self control off field. I really hope he turns it around, but this is a woeful start.

Yeh lets not play the race card on this one - he's clearly had too many problems to write it off as hard done by..

I hope they give him another chance - but I seriously doubt itll be anything more than 1 more.

we will give him another chance
and if he stuffs up again i think we will sack him on the spot.
and deservedly so.

So you're just going to sweep it under the carpet and attribute it to him being aboriginal as the reason he was locked up are you?

Just ask Ben Cousins. Getting hauled away by police and being charged with.............NOTHING! I would have thought you would be wiser than to just blame this on race.

Actually, Cousins was charged with drug possession and the charges were later dropped. People are often charged with drunk and disorderly, but drunk in a public place is really a Victorian era offense.

As has been mentioned already, many, many people get drunk in public while not getting arrested. As a representative of the Saints, being drunk (as opposed to D&D) is not great, but on the facts available he shouldn't have been arrested.

It is possible to believe both that Lovett needs to improve his behaviour to contribute to the Saints AND that he was more likely to be arrested because of his Aboriginality (this later statement is a fact based on decades of rigorous research).

I agree that (as shameful and regrettable as this would be) being aboriginal may (!!! - let's not call every policeman racist, shall we) not have helped his cause.

I also agree that being famous (and having a reputation for misbehaving in public) may not have helped his cause either. Ben Cousins was already mentioned as another example. Apart from his well known arrest for the alleged possession of drugs in Perth, he was actually also arrested in Melbourne in 2006 - for being drunk.

(http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/drunk-cousins-thrown-in-cell/2006/12/03/1165080816374.html)

But regardless of race and fame, it is possible for AFL footballers to stay out of trouble ! Lovett should know this and should act accordingly. He will regret this incident - and I would not be surprised if he were to start the 2010 season playing for Sandringham as a result. I don't think he'll get another chance, too.

Actually, Cousins was charged with drug possession and the charges were later dropped. People are often charged with drunk and disorderly, but drunk in a public place is really a Victorian era offense.

As has been mentioned already, many, many people get drunk in public while not getting arrested. As a representative of the Saints, being drunk (as opposed to D&D) is not great, but on the facts available he shouldn't have been arrested.

It is possible to believe both that Lovett needs to improve his behaviour to contribute to the Saints AND that he was more likely to be arrested because of his Aboriginality (this later statement is a fact based on decades of rigorous research).

How about perhaps if he was looking to make a fresh start at St.Kilda, he just doesn't do anything that would put him in such a situation. This is the point I am trying to make.

How about perhaps if he was looking to make a fresh start at St.Kilda, he just doesn't do anything that would put him in such a situation. This is the point I am trying to make.

Which is fine, but as I say your point doesn't negate the fact that if you're black and doing something (that may be) wrong, you're a far higher chance of getting arrested than a white guy is. True fact, and all that.

How about we disregard racial issues altogether please. Andrew Lovett is a player for our club who was arrested for drunkenness. Beyond that none of us know to what extent his race influenced this outcome. Assumptions do not help the situation so please do not voice them.

I am disappointed, but I do not think the sky is falling.

i say he gets 3-4 weeks suspension to teach him a lesson so that we maintain our no tolerance policy.after all grammy missed that game because he skipped a physio session.

Good point , its bloody poor timing though.
As a new player he needs to get used to playing with our guys, and a suspension would throw a spanner in that.
I would prefer if another punishment could be devised.
How about the rest of the team get two free punches each.:D

Good point , its bloody poor timing though.
As a new player he needs to get used to playing with our guys, and a suspension would throw a spanner in that.
I would prefer if another punishment could be devised.
How about the rest of the team get two free punches each.:D

Tie him inbetween the goalposts, grab the forward group and tell them they have 30minutes to kick as many goals as possible and if they hit Andy it's bonus points.

Punishment like screwing up a drill and being kicked at only you might get smacked in the face by Kosi instead of a stinger. That'd stop him dead!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Lovett locked up for drunkeness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back