Luke Hodge - Interesting Article in Sun tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Guardian Hawk said:
Lastly, most good players get 30 poss across half back line?? Really! No All-Australian half-back flanker has EVER averaged 30 poss a game. In fact, no hbf in AFL/VFL history has averaged ANYWHERE NEAR 30 poss a game.

Of course no hbf in AF/VFL has averaged ANYWHERE NEAR 30 poss a game... because its only in the last 5-10 years that the game has <cough> evolved <cough> to the uncontested game that it is today.

Hardly a revelation isn't it?

FIGJAM said:
I think you should start watching him play. He's not a brilliant extractor inside, but he fights tooth and nail for the pill. It's just like Buckley, he's better off being the go to man...the quarterback!

Camporeale comparisons are as weak as Campo himslef.
and all this time I thought you were just a guy with a cool avatar.

Guardian Hawk said:
Maybe so, but the original claim was that any good player can get 30 poss at half back. No player ever has averaged that, last 10 years or otherwise. Probably still refutes the claim, don't you think. Even in this free-flowing age it hasn't happened despite many great players.
Fair Enough

By the way, I'm simply saying that the position he is playing is easier than a lot of others, especially since he is not being tagged at the moment (and yes, I know thats not his fault).

Incidentally I don't buy the C rap of Judd > Ball / Ball > Hodge / Hodge > Judd etc...

If Hodge is playing good football (and he is) good luck to him and good luck to the Hawks.

Completely agree regaring the latter remarks re Judd v Ball v Hodge. Refreshing to hear--If they play well, who cares.

I still think it is a misconception that Hodge spends all/most of his time at hbf. The stats and replays confirm this is not the case. I think he has the capabilities to play well with a heavy tag, be interesting to see. He does get tagged by the way, just not the fist tag coz of Crawf and Mitchell.

Guardian Hawk said:
I still think it is a misconception that Hodge spends all/most of his time at hbf. The stats and replays confirm this is not the case.
Thats a little hard for me to comment on as I've only seen 3 of the Hawks games, whereas you have seen them all.

I guess the Hawks hierarchy must be collectively having a sigh in relief.... as they have been poleaxed & laughed at by all and sundry (Fans / Media / AFL Supporters) over the last few years, as to why they chose an injury prone (at the time) Hodge instead of Ball or Judd.

With Reference to the Ball v Hodge v Judd issue, the other one that gets up my goat is the Del Santo @ 13 is > Hodge or Ball or Judd. Its just pointless Schlongging on.

What I'd like to see is Hodge, Ball & Judd in the same team! What a midfield that would be!

There is a lot to like about the Hawks.... taking away the Freo win, more specifically the Carlton game (yes I know the Hawks lost). They started on fire and absolutely poleaxed Carlton in the 1st Qtr and a bit. Very high Possession, precision style game that bamboozled Carlton.

Saying all that, the game plan (precision chip style) unravelled with pressure from Carlton. But that will change with more experience.

The midfield of the Hawks is very pacy, very skilled... theres a hell of a lot to like. The only concern is when Crawford retires, in the sense that: is there another classy midfielder that will slot into his role.

FIGJAM said:
Interesting logic!

Last year's AA team, Aussie Jones averaged 18 possies. Chris Johnson averaged 15.

Must be a walk in the park back there accross the half back line!

People are so damn ignorant when it comes to Hodge/Buckley types of players. They play all over the damn park, win their own ball and friggen hit teammates with great footskills and do it friggen 25 times per game. And yet they have it easy!?!?!?!?????

Boomark!!!! Post of the week.

Bentleigh said:
Gee.

Every bar Hawthorn seems to think Hodge is a backman :rolleyes:
Perhaps we have seen every game this year? Perhaps he is leading our goal assists and second on our centre clearances suggests he isn't a backman. Perhaps we have seen him start in the centre square on so many occasions...

Could that have anything even slightly to do with the fact we don't think he's a defender?

Hodge_is_God said:
You've gotta laugh at the Weagle paranoia in this thread...

dont flatter yourselves,

we couldnt care less about hodge. the difference between us and the hawks is that we didnt overlook hodge. you guys overlooked judd. we could do nothing about hodge. I hope Hodge goes onto be a good player, i like how he plays footy. I value judd's input into our side so highly, no player in league could match it. Whether it be hodge, ball, riewoldt or whoever.

It the Hawks fans who are walking around with their chests puffed out and chips on their shoulders because after 3 years Hodge has actually shown some form at AFL level. For a number one pick this should be the rule not the exception.

theorangeapple said:
dont flatter yourselves,

we couldnt care less about hodge. the difference between us and the hawks is that we didnt overlook hodge. you guys overlooked judd. we could do nothing about hodge. I hope Hodge goes onto be a good player, i like how he plays footy. I value judd's input into our side so highly, no player in league could match it. Whether it be hodge, ball, riewoldt or whoever.

It the Hawks fans who are walking around with their chests puffed out and chips on their shoulders because after 3 years Hodge has actually shown some form at AFL level. For a number one pick this should be the rule not the exception.
Come off it.
The hawks fans are just giving it back for sticking up for Hodge after all the finger pointing and laughing that we picked him up before ball and judd. He has shown he is a gun in his own right, the fans are giving it back because of all the stick he's copped. Fair enough IMO. First full pre-season, first time he's been out on the park for so many consecutive games, that is probably why he is 'finally' showing something at the age of 20. Gee he took a while.

cschreuder61 said:
Come off it.
The hawks fans are just giving it back for sticking up for Hodge after all the finger pointing and laughing that we picked him up before ball and judd. He has shown he is a gun in his own right...
he's going very, very well... but don't jinx his form by making outlandish statements

cschreuder61 said:
...the fans are giving it back because of all the stick he's copped. Fair enough IMO. First full pre-season, first time he's been out on the park for so many consecutive games, that is probably why he is 'finally' showing something at the age of 20. Gee he took a while.
You've redemeed yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theorangeapple said:
dont flatter yourselves,

we couldnt care less about hodge.

Yup, that's why this thread is made up of replies of WC fans talking him down...pure apathy that....

theorangeapple said:
the difference between us and the hawks is that we didnt overlook hodge. you guys overlooked judd. we could do nothing about hodge. I hope Hodge goes onto be a good player, i like how he plays footy. I value judd's input into our side so highly, no player in league could match it. Whether it be hodge, ball, riewoldt or whoever.

Herein lies the crux of the situation. It is a fact that Hodge has been up there with the best performed in the league. Where have we been puffing our chests, beyond giving him the recognition he deserves? I didn't see Eagles fans copping a pasting when the 'Judd board' was in full swing.

Seriously, if you really don't care, stop posting blatantly misinformed opinions as facts on a thread that, as you say, has nothing to do with Judd or West Coast fans.

Not to sure how interested anyone is with this, but last week I was keen to lay some money out on Hodgey for the brownlow.

Checked out Sportsbet, paying $28...I decided to look for better odds. Got on to Sportingbet.com.au and they were offering $61 - thought I'd wait for this weeks action see how he goes and really load up on those odds. As it stands now Hodge is into about $15s on both. BIG FIRMER.

Bentleigh said:
Gee.

Every bar Hawthorn seems to think Hodge is a backman :rolleyes:
This from someone who admits to not even watching his own team play?

Simple fact is that its nine games into the season and Hawthorn haven't exactly been a fixture on free to air TV. So unless you've got Foxtel and enjoy watching a young team play inconsistently, most opposition supporters would have watched one, maybe two Hawks games.

Take it from the fans of the HFC when we say that Hodge has been playing a great deal in the middle this season.

Grendel said:
Probably because we watch him every week? Nah.. couldn't be just that. Maybe it's the 24 clearances for the season.. or the 33 inside 50's. Maybe it's just the time he's spent on-ball ruck-roving and the fact he's also had 34 rebound from defence.

Now on all that, if it's not evidence enough that he's playing all over the ground well, suit yourselves.

As said previously, we're quite happy to have a defender with those sort of stats.
Well said. Watch them ignore it.

Personally I could not give a crap what people say. They're just covering their own insecurities on the fact that Hodge is becoming a dominant footballer and making them look foolish for past comments about an injured 19 year old.

Anyone with any objectivity would realise that a player who is getting more centre clearances than an in-form Mitchell in recent week, has as many inside 50s as he has defensive rebounds, all the while averaging 25 touches and using it like a god, as well as crunching blokes every week, is a bloody good footballer.

BoothvsDestoop said:
Not to sure how interested anyone is with this, but last week I was keen to lay some money out on Hodgey for the brownlow.

Checked out Sportsbet, paying $28...I decided to look for better odds. Got on to Sportingbet.com.au and they were offering $61 - thought I'd wait for this weeks action see how he goes and really load up on those odds. As it stands now Hodge is into about $15s on both. BIG FIRMER.

I put a $10er on him the morning of the Dees game and got the odds of 81-1. 2 weeks later he now sits at 16-1. :D

Hawka Deano said:
I put a $10er on him the morning of the Dees game and got the odds of 81-1. 2 weeks later he now sits at 16-1. :D

if the hawks win close to 10 games i think he will go very close. maybe crawford will steal some votes?? i dunno.

certainly worth $10 at that price though.

Hodge will be the complete footballer... Has the Archer Agression and courage.. Will be the Voss like captain, and has the kicking skills of one D. jarman... Right now with 10 + years of footy to go in his career, he is the Player im more than happy to have .. Thank you John Turnball

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge - Interesting Article in Sun tomorrow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back