Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunn is the last player added to our list.

League wide how many players from the 17 other clubs in the same situation will make an appearance let alone be a staple within their sides 22 this season?

Outside of Ben Sokol who seemed like a type worthy of taking a chance on (especially if we wish to increase the midfield minutes of de Goey/Elliott) no other player readily comes to mind who I wouldn't have minded in place of Dunn.

Kind of feel there is a lot of angst over nothing.

Personally I think people who are critics of his listing have underestimated three things.

1. He's very well liked and respected by the playing group and coaches.
2. By standing by him through a second knee reconstruction the club is sending a positive message to the likes of de Goey and Moore as they enter contract negotiations. The club has displayed loyalty to a player in the twilight of their career and shown if you're a good citizen and committed servant of the club you can be rewarded beyond your peak period as a player.
3. While there is obviously still big questions marks around his ability to return to the playing field and have an impact at VFL level this season prior to his knee injury it wasn't like he was on the fringe of our 22 and not getting a regular game. I'm prepared to keep an open mind about what he potentially could offer to the side if he remains healthy and finds form.

I'm happy for Dunny that he gets the spot, and think he can make an impact in the senior side still.

Perhaps we could have held out for m8d season draft to see how he was travelling, but by that stage we might have two spots to fill anyway, for Beams and Langdon

Keep ticking them over Dunny, and good luck getting back on the park soon!

Dunn will have more impact in 2020 than Beams.
And for a lot less dollars...
Undoubtedly! He wouldn't even need to play a game to make a bigger contribution than Beams.

Dunn is the last player added to our list.

League wide how many players from the 17 other clubs in the same situation will make an appearance let alone be a staple within their sides 22 this season?

Outside of Ben Sokol who seemed like a type worthy of taking a chance on (especially if we wish to increase the midfield minutes of de Goey/Elliott) no other player readily comes to mind who I wouldn't have minded in place of Dunn.

Kind of feel there is a lot of angst over nothing.

Personally I think people who are critics of his listing have underestimated three things.

1. He's very well liked and respected by the playing group and coaches.
2. By standing by him through a second knee reconstruction the club is sending a positive message to the likes of de Goey and Moore as they enter contract negotiations. The club has displayed loyalty to a player in the twilight of their career and shown if you're a good citizen and committed servant of the club you can be rewarded beyond your peak period as a player.
3. While there is obviously still big questions marks around his ability to return to the playing field and have an impact at VFL level this season prior to his knee injury it wasn't like he was on the fringe of our 22 and not getting a regular game. I'm prepared to keep an open mind about what he potentially could offer to the side if he remains healthy and finds form.
Good post swoop42 but personally I have never underestimated your 1st or even your 2nd point. Point 3 I think raises the most difficult aspects of the signing because Dunn is still 6-8 weeks away from even playing VFL. Let's hope this is an astute tactical success and Dunn doesn't break down when required.

Put Dunn and Keane in the back half, Moore forward
What’s Roughead going to do, play tiddlywinks.
Dunny played forward before, that’s where l play him

This probably a stupid question, but is Dunn capable of playing in the forward line?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

No not really. Dunn & Roughy could hold down the key back posts. Moore could go forward and be a real threat. In fact of the 3 key backs he is the only one that the opposition would fear if he swung forward.

No not really. Dunn & Roughy could hold down the key back posts. Moore could go forward and be a real threat. In fact of the 3 key backs he is the only one that the opposition would fear if he swung forward.

Fair enough. I saw the following on Wikipedia and thought to ask the question:

“In 2010 Dunn has switched from playing as a tagger to a defensive-forward and has kicked his most goals in a single season, including a career best five goals against Richmond at the MCG in Round 19.”

Looking at his footywire profile, it looks like he kicked 26 goals 22 behinds from 18 games that season.

That was 10 years ago, so he probably isn’t the same player anymore...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Roughead down back - Keane can play medium
Maybe, but Keane is unproven.
A lot on here will just have to realise Darcy is our chb now and into the future.
I have and it’s not likely to change soon

Greenwood, Beams, Dunn and Langdon. We've pretty much got 4 dead spots on our list before the season even starts. Varcoe and Reid not far behind making it 6 spots.

Excuse the intrusion onto your board but I wshl Lynden all the best. Had some great games with the Dees and turned into a very capable backman rarely beaten in a one on one (a bit harder for him to keep up with an agile forward on the lead). Was sad to hear of his 2 acl's and hope he at least gets a run at it for the rest of the year. May I ask how far he is off 200 games ?

DL.

Excuse the intrusion onto your board but I wshl Lynden all the best. Had some great games with the Dees and turned into a very capable backman rarely beaten in a one on one (a bit harder for him to keep up with an agile forward on the lead). Was sad to hear of his 2 acl's and hope he at least gets a run at it for the rest of the year. May I ask how far he is off 200 games ?

DL.

sitting on 196. Save from injuries can’t see him getting there unfortunately.

DL.
Thanks mate and we very much appreciate you letting us have Howe. Thanks for taking Ben Ken and H, any chance you can give us Weidemann?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lynden Dunn (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back