Make or break years

Remove this Banner Ad

carn_the_cattas said:
For Geelong I think Matt McCarthy.
I do think he has ability just needs a chance to show it. If he is lucky and does get that chance and blows it - bye bye.

He has been unlucky with injury. Has good hands and can leap but the bloke needs to learn how to kick! Must be close to last chance.

Hawthorn;

Those with a chance to retain a spot in 2007:
Rick Ladson
Luke Brennan
Tim Boyle
Harry Miller

Those with barely a chance to retain a spot in 2007;
Matthew Ball
Rob Campbell
Ben Dixon
Nick Ries

We have no make or break years really. Wooden Adkins Rowan Jones are gone regardless of what they do next year, hell they cud win a Brownlow and still be delisted, there so far off the rest of the pack as far as our team goes its not funny, when either is playing you know we have some serious injury problems.

Gardiner is as close as we get, will be a big year in determining how far he can take his game and if he will realise his potential.

Brent Hall, Leon Davis, Ryan Lonie, Tristan Walker, Jason Cloke. Like it or not, these guys have their careers firmly on the line in 2006. Lonie and Cloke, in particular, have a role to play in the side, but will need to find their best form quickly. Chad Morrison may also be under the pump.

DU, I think Hawks fans are too hard on ben Dixon. He is no star, just a handy footballer. He did well towards the latter stages of the season this year, and IMO has another two or three seasons left in him. Maybe the number 19 jumper did it, I'm not sure, but some Hawks fans in 1999/2000 fell into the trap believing he was destined for stardom. Not saying you were one of them, just going from memory.

Embers, I'd take Rowan Jones in a flash. He can play.

Johnson#26 said:
Brent Hall, Leon Davis, Ryan Lonie, Tristan Walker, Jason Cloke. Like it or not, these guys have their careers firmly on the line in 2006. Lonie and Cloke, in particular, have a role to play in the side, but will need to find their best form quickly. Chad Morrison may also be under the pump.

Add Shane Obree to that and I think that it would be a fair list.

Johnson#26 said:
DU, I think Hawks fans are too hard on ben Dixon. He is no star, just a handy footballer. He did well towards the latter stages of the season this year, and IMO has another two or three seasons left in him. Maybe the number 19 jumper did it, I'm not sure, but some Hawks fans in 1999/2000 fell into the trap believing he was destined for stardom. Not saying you were one of them, just going from memory.

I agree - in part - with what you have said. Unless he can kick 35-40 goals for the season, I think he will find it hard to stay on the list. To add to this, I believe it is his last year on his contract. I think he is handy, but with younger kids coming through, and Guerra, he will have competition for his spot (unlike 2005).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Bree? Why? He has just finished 4th in the Copeland (yes, an injury riddled season for the team), and has been signed up for another two years. He was more than serviceable in 2005, and is looking as fit as he has been since 2001.

Nick Smith - there's an interesting one, Jacka. He really does need a big one. Goddard would be handy trade bait.

Des Headland.

Don't think he'll be shown the door, but as his contract expires in 2006, he may find himself on a 1 year, low $$ contract for 2007, to show why he should / shouldn't be kept for 2008.

DynamoUltra said:
I agree - in part - with what you have said. Unless he can kick 35-40 goals for the season, I think he will find it hard to stay on the list. To add to this, I believe it is his last year on his contract. I think he is handy, but with younger kids coming through, and Guerra, he will have competition for his spot (unlike 2005).

Really? Prehaps with the 30-40 goal mark you may have a point, but in a side lacking key forwards and experiance in the front half, he is worth his weight in gold. He is a handy player, but you are right, Guerra's inclusion will apply pressure to his spot in the side - which can be a good thing, as it may inspire him to reach greater heights.

Players liek daniel jackson from the tigers. talking to some people, he just needs to establish himself in the tigers outfit. I may be harsh on the kid, but im not being harsh. i love DJ, love the way he goes about his footy, has the POTENTIAL to be a really good solid AFL footballer. But, with richmonds growing improvement and the likes of danny meyer, J O-N etcetera comming to the club, they have some talent. After a fantastic debut year (6 games and many richmond supporters were thanking the lord, praising a long, young direct approach into the foward line instead of chip chip chip le-grand footy as rex calls it). But lost his way a bit. Where do you play him? He started footy late, i think his first year was when he was in Year 9 at Carey Grammar. Alot of athletic prowess helped him succeed so far. But he relaly needs to isolate his spot in the midfield, or else the tigers will cut him loose. Sad to say it, but he doesnt have is own position on the field, whether it be VFL or AFL IMO. He's a utility, but not for the right reasons.

At the pies, my club- Tex walker, Lonie texas ranger, Jason Cloke (although looks set for a good year, burning up the track- NEEDS MAJOR IMPROVEMENT ON SKILLS), Brent Hall, and for some surprise Harry O'Brien. Needs to demand a place on the senior list with some good performances. He didnt get promoted for a reason, do they doubt his ability??? i believe so, if he can step up, then he'll be safe.

The Hawks and Blues have a plethera of them- Ries, prendagast, Ball, daniel Batson, Just Davies, John Barker (Performance Based Contract), Tim Clarke etc etc. So they ahve a few that really need to put up their hand, and stake a claim in the AFL with their respected sides.

johnson_26 said:
Tim Clarke etc etc.

I think Tim Clarke's make or break season was 2005. He improve 250% on previous season, and whilst he still may not be an elite footballer, he is a solid contributor each week who plays by the game plan. Like others, he has skill errors, many of which have been rectified and can run all day. Problem is, if he doesn't perform he is one of the first who Hawthorn fans get on the back of.

Johnson#26 said:
Really? Prehaps with the 30-40 goal mark you may have a point, but in a side lacking key forwards and experiance in the front half, he is worth his weight in gold. He is a handy player, but you are right, Guerra's inclusion will apply pressure to his spot in the side - which can be a good thing, as it may inspire him to reach greater heights.

I can see your points about his experience and positional advantages, but it still doesn't mean he won't be under the hammer. We have an unknown quantity in Matt Little, who by all reports is a goal kicking forward in a similar fashion as Dixon, along with Roughead, Franklin, Dowler, Croad, Birchall and Guerra with 5-10 years of senior footy left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Make or break years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back