Make or break years

Remove this Banner Ad

Krakouer- needs to find consistancy

Rodan- Needs a solid year , coming back from a knee reco bit the same as Krakouer a hit and miss player.

Schulz- Either will play CHB or CHF/FF

Hall- Will most likely loose his CHB postion to Schulz, can't see us playing Hall, Schulz, Kellerway and Gasper , Bowden all in the backline at once so i think Rayzor could be used for short bursts on the wing or play as a half forward flanker.

Pat Bowden - don't need to say much but needs to impress, will probably get a chance across the forward line at some stage but needs to grab it with both hands as we are starting to get too many half forwards on our list

Jackson/Raines - Need to step up and become regulars in the side, not sure if both will get many chances this year unless injury becuase with the recruitment of O-N and White we look to be going for speedy/running players.

Hartigan- isnt so much make or break for him as a player at our club but we need a big year for him and hopefully he can step up and be our number 1 back pocket player who takes the players like Milne etc who caused us so many troubles last season.Newman is wasted in the backline and would rather see him play in the midfield.

Tivendale - Simple he needs to show somthing and improve his skills and descions from last year or he is gone.

Chaffey - probably will start off again as our tagger but i dont see him keeping his spot, we are going for speed in our team and i can't see him being a permanent fixture of our side unless he is the man who will become that back pocket player we want.

Isnt so much make or break for these big guys eiether but Knobel and Simmonds need to have good years, simmonds will play most of the time as our ruck with Knobel used as the back up option, Staff in what will be his last season of footy will most likely take that Spot in the goal square. Richo will take the number 1 defender and then if Schulz/Hall/Pattison or P.Bowden play CHB they take the 2nd best defender which leaves Staff as the 3rd tall to cover and as we saw last year on occasions he had massive height advantages over his opponents Teague was the matchup that comes to mind.

Out best 22 , players who are make or break with the * next to them

B: Hartigan*, Gaspar, Kellerway
HB: Bowden, Schulz, K.Johnson
C: Tambling Tuck, Deledio
HF: Krakouer*, Richardson, Pettifer
F: Hall, Stafford, Brown
R: Simmonds, Coughlan, Newman
Int: Rodan*, P.Bowden*, Knobel, Tivendale*
Emerg: Jackson*, Chaffey*, Raines*

Others: O-N, White, Roach, Pattison, Foley, Polo, Moore

douggie the don said:
watson won't get the axe.
he's got skills and sheedy is on the record for saying that he's the most creative player on the list.
Big bodied tall guys with great vision and skills don't grow on trees.
He'll be given every opportunity possible to prove himself.
Winderlich, Reynolds, Bolton, Henno, Nash all must improve
With all the HBF's on the list, you'd think that McVeigh would want to have a good year as he has the kind of profile that's tradeble.
agree with just about all of that. a little harsh on nash - it's still pretty early, but he'd want to crack the seniors semi-regularly next year I admit.

I'd add welsh to the list with mcveigh as well. had a very ordinary 2005, and needs to actually stand up and do something next year (other than try to throw his weight around)

agree with just about all of that. a little harsh on nash - it's still pretty early, but he'd want to crack the seniors semi-regularly next year I admit.

I'd say that (generally) most players in their third season (drafted at the conclusion of 2003) and have not really kicked on for one reason or another (Nash, Brent Hall etc) are at the make-or-break stage. He looks a solid player, and had some nice reports written on him prior to being drafted, but...

A bit hard on Welsh, I thought he played at least 'ok' last season. McVeigh was very average, but probably has a few more credits in the bank.

Just my opinion. :)

Firrito24 said:
Brent Le Cras - should not be on the 2006 list, Mick Stevens is very stiff, would need to do something special to stay on in 2007.
Wasnt this Le Cras first season? Regardless, you would have to be pretty unlucky/bad to get the chop after just the two years and the way his brother is thought of at the Eagles, it just wouldnt happen

Cheer Red Blood said:
Stephen Doyle if he gets injured again.
QUOTE]

Yep. Doyle is on his last chance. Good footballer if we can get
him right.

McVeigh needs to make the next step this year as well.

Underdog said:
Wasnt this Le Cras first season? Regardless, you would have to be pretty unlucky/bad to get the chop after just the two years and the way his brother is thought of at the Eagles, it just wouldnt happen

He has been on the list for two years. He hasn't had much of a run at all. His brother started well this season, though.

Brent LeCras

Mark LeCras

Brent has probably reached the make-or-break stage, given that he is into his third year.

SydneyBomber said:

I'd add welsh to the list with mcveigh as well. had a very ordinary 2005, and needs to actually stand up and do something next year (other than try to throw his weight around)

I like what little i've seen from Nash too. I was just saying that with a big influx of young midfielders in the past couple he'd want to develop and not let too many go too far past him.
Our young Midfield prospects are;
Stanton, Dyson, Winderlich, Slattery, Lovett, Monfries, Reynolds, Watson (sorta), Dempsey, Lonergan and McPhee and Cole to an extent. Also getting a few bonus midfielders in the past from the rookie list, Nash would want to continue to make steady improvement.

Powerstufff said:
For Port:
Brett Ebert, Damon White, Aaron Shattock, Jacob Surjan are the most obvious to spring to mind.
Agreed. Although I would be tempted to persevere with Surjan, but the others need to deliver the goods in 2006.

Kieran McGuinness was lucky to keep his spot on the Doggies list.
Brad Murphy ditto, although rumours have it he was offered for trade.

Sam Power showed a little bit, but could be in trouble if he doesn't show enough this year. Adam Morgan is the only other one I can think of if a couple of the younger KPPs cement their spot in the senior side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra said:
Kieran McGuinness was lucky to keep his spot on the Doggies list.

Sam Power showed a little bit, but could be in trouble if he doesn't show enough this year. Adam Morgan is the only other one I can think of if a couple of the younger KPPs cement their spot in the senior side.

Would agree with all of those, though Power is contracted for '07. I'd add Skipper and Walsh. Skip needs to be pretty much in the 22 to keep his spot and Walsh has to make marked improvement, though Eade stated he doesn't think he'll be ready until '07.

pafc4life said:
I think you can add Toby Thurstans and Steven Salopek to that list.
Both have contracts taking them to the end of 2007.
I think Thurstans has already ended his career. A strange one that, the biggest misjudgement of a contract extension we've made since we moved into the AFL.
Short of injury or meteor strike I have no worries with Salopek.

Powerstufff said:
the biggest misjudgement of a contract extension we've made since we moved into the AFL.
Short of injury or meteor strike I have no worries with Salopek.

Very harsh on Toby and very generous on Salopek

oporto said:
Very harsh on Toby and very generous on Salopek
I hadn't thought so but fair enough, your opinion is as good as mine.
Good thing I didn't elaborate on Surjan, I used to really rate this kid. :(

Crow-mosone said:
meanwhile, our own candidate *cough* Brent Reilly *cough* could be on the train too.

Really? I suppose he has been on the list since 2002, but the boy can play. He has neat skills, a strongly built body and puts his head over the ball - doesn't take a backward step. Would surely want to return to Victoria one day, and would be handy trade bait. I know that plenty of clubs would throw their hands up for him.

Agreed. Although I would be tempted to persevere with Surjan, but the others need to deliver the goods in 2006.

Crackers Kennan wrote in Inside Football during 2005 that Surjan may have been on the way out. He has been retained, obviously, but will need to produce next year. There will be plenty of oppotunities in the midfield in the absence of James, as well as the fact that Francou is winding down.

and if he doesn't deliver this year, he'll be stamping his ticket to hacksville.

He is the poster child for make or break.

The pressure of being a top 10 pick wouldn't have helped. There'd be plenty of Victorian clubs snapping at his heals if he did intend to come home. The two year deal shows that the Power will persevere with him. He has plenty of talent, a silky skilled player.

I'd take him at Collingwood. He looked very imprerssive on debut at Marrara Oval in late 2004, but fell backwards last year. Has a role to play at the Bulldogs if he can nudge his way into the side. One Bulldog under the pump in 2006 is Shane Birss, who will really need to press on.

I think Thurstans has already ended his career. A strange one that, the biggest misjudgement of a contract extension we've made since we moved into the AFL.

Surely he would be snapped up in a trade, though. He was one of your better players in the 2004 Grand Final - and is a solid third tall forward.

Chad Morrison, he's much like Andrew Williams, came to Collingwood from West Coast and has shown a little bit but still needs a lot of work if he hopes to be at the club beyond next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Make or break years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back