Malceski early return

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhhhh Liz, the voice of reason in an insane and overtly reactive world. :thumbsu:

Call me crazy but I think the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon who has spent a year investigating knee reconstructions and is soon to publish a research paper analysing 131 knee reconstructions undergone by AFL footballers from 1990-2000 is more informed.

Call me crazy but I think the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon who has spent a year investigating knee reconstructions and is soon to publish a research paper analysing 131 knee reconstructions undergone by AFL footballers from 1990-2000 is more informed.

You're crazy.

Does 131 knee reconstructions include this radical operation. If not then the orthopedic surgeon would not be more informed. He would be very informed in standard knee reconstruction operations.

Different op, different part of the body and different material, but having been a month or so since I had my own surgery I would like to reinterate what I said earlier in this thread.

A "foreign body" within the human body can cause discomfort for a period of time and IMO for a bloke with a knee history, such discomfort will not help him regain the confidence in his knee that he will need to regain his form of last year, even if he is able to resume in round 8.

I hope he proves me wrong but more importantly i hope that the operation is a success from the long term perspective

If not then the orthopedic surgeon would not be more informed.

Are you serious?!? He would be more informed by virtue of being an orthopedic surgeon FFS.

In any case, he has "spent a year travelling the world speaking to experts on knee reconstructions". So I will stick with Liptak's professional opinion.

Different op, different part of the body and different material, but having been a month or so since I had my own surgery I would like to reinterate what I said earlier in this thread.

A "foreign body" within the human body can cause discomfort for a period of time and IMO for a bloke with a knee history, such discomfort will not help him regain the confidence in his knee that he will need to regain his form of last year, even if he is able to resume in round 8.

I hope he proves me wrong but more importantly i hope that the operation is a success from the long term perspective
It is synthetic, but its a synthetic that closely resembles the structure of normal ligaments. Think using a ceramic hardened plastic to cover up a part of missing skull.
It's good and its practical, but realistically, it won't ever be a part of the bone tissue of the skull again.
It isn't like introducing the ligament/tissue of a cadaver into the body because that is seen as foreign tissue, but, as far as we know, the synthetic graft and the body learn to coexist together, as in the example of using a plastic/ceramic chunk to replace missing skull.

Are you serious?!? He would be more informed by virtue of being an orthopedic surgeon FFS.

In any case, he has "spent a year travelling the world speaking to experts on knee reconstructions". So I will stick with Liptak's professional opinion.

You state that he has "spent a year travelling the world speaking to experts on knee reconstructions". I don't know if he has or hasn't so I will not dispute this point. In your earlier post you stated that he has spent a year investigating knee reconstructions and is soon to publish a research paper analysing 131 knee reconstructions undergone by AFL footballers. Does you mean that he travelled the the world speaking to experts about afl footballers' knee reconstructions and in his investigations has he analysed and conducted a thorough study in both types of operations?

P.S. I am not doubting the good professor's professional integrity or expertise.

True, though didnt they mention it ends up stronger, and the issue was more of comming back to early that agrivates the graft.
Though going off Hawkins advice who waited longer than the others, your better off waiting a year anyway which means he could have been better off doing the conventional way..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds like a sensationalist piece from a bunch of has beens trying to get their name in the news from a hack news reporter.

Emma Quayle is a multi award winning journalist who is highly regarded for her style of writing her preseason draft predictions and summaries.

As for Hawkins he was a champion footballer and was involved in the highest level of the game for a long period of time and who has intimate knowledge of the injury.

How many journalist awards, AFL games, ACL reconstructions have you had?

As it stands Nick Malceski has had the operation. In about 10 weeks time hopefully, we will all know if it has been a success or a failure. Let's hope for his sake that it will be successful, with no complications, and he returns to a fruitful sensational football career.

Two things jump out at me from that article.

1 - These blokes had their ops in the 80"s, that's 20 odd years ago. Medicine changes drastically in 2 years let alone 18 years, and
2 - There are many, many players who have had conventional knee recos and have not been able to come back

I'm not saying it's not risky and I'm not saying it will work and we'll have him back better then ever by mid-season (though this is what I pray for) but I'm saying that I have complete faith in the Sydney medical team and I don't believe they would have taken this decision lightly. Mal has already had one reco so he himself would have been pretty ofay on the procedure and I think Sydney, as a club have a lot riding on Mal and see him very much as our future. There would have been an awful lot of research done before this decision was made.

1 - These blokes had their ops in the 80"s, that's 20 odd years ago. Medicine changes drastically in 2 years let alone 18 years, and
2 - There are many, many players who have had conventional knee recos and have not been able to come back

I'm not saying it's not risky and I'm not saying it will work and we'll have him back better then ever by mid-season (though this is what I pray for) but I'm saying that I have complete faith in the Sydney medical team and I don't believe they would have taken this decision lightly. Mal has already had one reco so he himself would have been pretty ofay on the procedure and I think Sydney, as a club have a lot riding on Mal and see him very much as our future. There would have been an awful lot of research done before this decision was made.

Ditto:thumbsu:

You state that he has "spent a year travelling the world speaking to experts on knee reconstructions". I don't know if he has or hasn't so I will not dispute this point. In your earlier post you stated that he has spent a year investigating knee reconstructions and is soon to publish a research paper analysing 131 knee reconstructions undergone by AFL footballers. Does you mean that he travelled the the world speaking to experts about afl footballers' knee reconstructions and in his investigations has he analysed and conducted a thorough study in both types of operations?

P.S. I am not doubting the good professor's professional integrity or expertise.

Here's an idea before posting in a thread: Read the thread and click the links to articles being discussed. :eek:

Here's an idea before posting in a thread: Read the thread and click the links to articles being discussed. :eek:

As I have stated I am not disputing that Matthew Liptak has spent a year investigating knee reconstructions, and that he is soon to publish a research paper analysing 131 knee reconstructions undergone by AFL footballers from 1990 to 2000. What I am asking is has he analysed knee reconstructions of NON AFL players who have used the alternate operation and if so will he also be publishing a research paper on these findings.

The article you refer to express his opinions as well as opinions of Peter Larkins. In their opinions, several scenarios are proposed, (which I do not dispute) in which something may go wrong, but things may also go wrong in day to day simple operations.

So in my view, my opinion, which differs from Matthew Liptaks quoted opinion piece, can be best summed up by the following post submitted by J-Swan

I'm not saying it's not risky and I'm not saying it will work and we'll have him back better then ever by mid-season (though this is what I pray for) but I'm saying that I have complete faith in the Sydney medical team and I don't believe they would have taken this decision lightly. Mal has already had one reco so he himself would have been pretty au fait on the procedure and I think Sydney, as a club have a lot riding on Mal and see him very much as our future. There would have been an awful lot of research done before this decision was made.

At the end of the day you would prefer to accept the opinion of Matthew Liptak. That's fine by me. However, I am a great believer of advancements made in medical procedures and as such, provided that the player, Nick Malceski, was willing to undergo the procedure and was totally informed of the risks involved, ( and here we must assume that he was advised accordingly) then I hope that the Sydney medical team undertook the right procedure and that the fears of Matthew Liptak are unfounded.

As I previously stated, in about 10 weeks time, hopefully, we will all know if it (the operation) has been a success or a failure. Let's hope for his sake that it will be successful, with no complications, and that he returns to a fruitful sensational football career.:):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Malceski early return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back