Malthouse - The Recycle King?

Remove this Banner Ad

^in vfl/afl history?? really??
He was there for >10 years wasn't he? Most coaches don't last that long in a single stint at one club in general. Let alone without winning a flag. I'd wager that it's true.

MM has gone 1995-2008 without a flag (14 straight seasons). I just had a quick look on allthestats.com and that appears to be the record. Others have coached more seasons without winning a flag, but not continuously.

I mean I am an MM fan and would like him to go on for 2009 but yeh, that is amazing. Forget the flags he won at WC they are too far back when the game is considered much different now. He is basically living off of close appearances (02, 03, 07) and good relationship with Eddie I guess... 2009 may be his last. Hopefully Buckley and/or Burns is signed on by then :p

Comparing a 1 year rookie coach to a 24 year veteran coach is almost as stupid as comparing Leigh Brown to Stuart Dew in terms of their value as a recycled player.

Well that simply answers that moron's question. Thats why he is a coach in the AFL, because he is a 24 year veteran coach who has won Premierships, and there aren't much better coaches out there :thumbsu: so thank you for answering your fellow supporter's question.

The obsession continues...

I am genuinely asking when I say, what obsession are you talking about? Because the last time I checked, this has been turned into a Malthouse/Collingwood bashing on the AFL Board, so its clear where the obsession is.

So what the Pies supporters are saying is that he's insurance for the defence.

I think North supporters can confirm that Brown has not played defence for years. He's played half forward mostly. He's too slow and dumb for defence these days.

Good luck guys. :thumbsu::D

I'm stumped why anyone would have a go at Malthouse or his decisons. The bloke doesnt need to justify a damn thing.
Whilst he has been wind assited recently by favourable draws he has also taken young teams very deep and very close. Between circumstances and old fashioned luck its no personal reflection they havent won a flag in his time at the pies.

He can figure out the opposition better than just about anyone.

He has spent nothing on a recycled Milton the Monster type in Brown. Whats the big deal ?...Brown might prove useful as depth and with the right fitness program and caoching he may just up his game. Like all good coaches Malthouse backs himself and wouldnt care less what others think.

Leigh Brown is a smart choice at pick 73. At worst he is insurance for Presti and Brown. At best he is another Wakelin. MM can't lose on this one. I don't think even the most pessimistic Collingwood supporter could become angry over this.

I think the OP should be far more concerned about the possible ramifications of picking a KPB in Hurley instead of midfield oprions in Ziebell, Rich, Sidebottom and Yarran. From all reports Hurley is no sure thing. Hopefully it's another Kepler Bradley.

At best Brown gets a game...:eek:

And LOL re: your comments on Hurley - From most reports he will be an AA defender for many years. What planet are you on?

This guy reads the play magnificently, kicks with both feet 55m+ and has an appetite for the contest. He is nothing like Bradley (who was played out of position mind you)

Considering that this is Fletch's last season, its a very wise decision

I'm stumped why anyone would have a go at Malthouse or his decisons. The bloke doesnt need to justify a damn thing.
Whilst he has been wind assited recently by favourable draws he has also taken young teams very deep and very close. Between circumstances and old fashioned luck its no personal reflection they havent won a flag in his time at the pies.

Garbage.

He has coached the Pies for nigh on 10 years and they still have the same weaknesses as they did 8 or so years ago.

He has had plenty of time to address those and he hasn't.

Whilst Collingwood have a promising squad, there are still glaring holes in the team which prevents them from going all the way.

The buck stops with the coach and no one else

So what the Pies supporters are saying is that he's insurance for the defence.

I think North supporters can confirm that Brown has not played defence for years. He's played half forward mostly. He's too slow and dumb for defence these days.

Good luck guys. :thumbsu::D

That doesnt really matter - Brown can play forward, back, or ruck, and if he's needed we can mix the line-upo to suit. We just need the insurance as we have such a young list that we need a senior player to cover for form and injury. Its not a difficult concept. Its better to have insurance than to play 17 year olds who are not ready and likely to be injured all the time from being rushed into senior footy before they are ready. I guess Nathan Carroll may have been an option but he cant play ruck or forward and he has a really bad attitude.

Having Brown on the list will give Anthony, Reid, N Brown Rusling and Wood the time they need to develop into permanant senior players. Nobody is stupid enough to think he's a superstar but we are hopeful that a new lease of life and more importantly new coach, will renew his career.

We havent gone wrong with ex-Fremantle players yet.

Sure he can play forward, back or ruck.

The bad news for Collingwood is, he is rubbish in all of those positions.

We're aware of that. He's going to play VFL with the form he's shown over recent years. We know and he knows he has to improve or he wont get a regular game. Its a punt they have taken on the basis that he and Laidley hated each others guts and that Malthouse can revive his career the same way he revives Medhurst's career.

Essendon supporters should be the last to criticise after their shocking run with injured young talls. The need for experienced "depth" players is no better illustrated than at their club. Young Hurley will be thrown to the wolves and will be forced to play before he is physically ready.

Garbage.

He has coached the Pies for nigh on 10 years and they still have the same weaknesses as they did 8 or so years ago.

He has had plenty of time to address those and he hasn't.

Whilst Collingwood have a promising squad, there are still glaring holes in the team which prevents them from going all the way.

The buck stops with the coach and no one else

YOU seem to think that making but missing out in two GF's against possibly the greatest team in history (with one of the youngest lists to ever make a GF) might be worthless. But others dont.

YOU might like to see it as somehow failing coz the pies under malthouse havent actually gone the last step...but others dont.

Some know there's a hellova lot of luck involved to go along with all the planning...some dont see making PF's and multiple GF's as failing.

...and if u think the pies have the same "weaknesses" as 10yrs ago then go have a look at the state of their books back then. He is part of a terrific partnership with a quality president to get them out of a financial problem whilst keeping them more than competitive on the paddock in MOST yrs.

If u wish to troll an AFL coach then best use your wealth of footy knowledge to explain exactly what these "glaring holes" are in their list so we can all see them...the holes that an AFL coach cant see but you can....otherwise you're just throwing monkey shit from a cage right ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If u wish to troll an AFL coach then best use your wealth of footy knowledge to explain exactly what these "glaring holes" are in their list so we can all see them...the holes that an AFL coach cant see but you can....otherwise you're just throwing monkey shit from a cage right ?

The Pies have:

1. A dream draw guaranteed every year.
2. Highest spending footy department.
3. Best facilities.

Yet have been miles behind teams like Essendon, Brisbane, Port, Geelong, Sydney, West Coast, Hawks over the past 10 years.

They have not landed one big trade yet continue to scour for offcuts from other clubs.

Malthouse has the stamp of good honest battler that doesn't have what it takes to get to the top. Disregard his record at West Coast because he was fed a state of origin team.

The Leigh Brown drafting will be the final dagger for MM. The natives have become restless.

Absolutely spot on. I think Collingwood supporters like to pump up MM a bit so they have this idea in thier heads that Medhurst was a spud at Fremantle. He was always very talented and on his day he was an absolute matchwinner. As you rightly pointed out he has become far more consistant at Collingwood.

nah i was wrapped when that trade came in mate. Medda was far from a spud but he was selfish, Mick has turned that around so thats what i will pump Mick up with.

Did you actually see Murph or Allan play? I'm guessing not. And Campo also performed pretty well, but his main role was mentoring the young guys.

Not every player is picked up to win a Brownlow.

oh dear, Campo was terrible, Allan couldnt even get out there and Murphy left his skills back at Optus Oval. All 3 were useless when crossing over to Essendon.
No one is saying you have to be a brownlow medallist to do their job but they did absolutely nothing when going to Essendon.

The Pies have:

1. A dream draw guaranteed every year.
2. Highest spending footy department.
3. Best facilities.

Yet have been miles behind teams like Essendon, Brisbane, Port, Geelong, Sydney, West Coast, Hawks over the past 10 years.

They have not landed one big trade yet continue to scour for offcuts from other clubs.

Malthouse has the stamp of good honest battler that doesn't have what it takes to get to the top. Disregard his record at West Coast because he was fed a state of origin team.

The Leigh Brown drafting will be the final dagger for MM. The natives have become restless.

And I can't see why you spend so much time discussing Collingwood considering your statement?
Why not discuss a club which is behind the eight ball and can't win a flag like St Kilda, Western Dogs or North.

nah i was wrapped when that trade came in mate. Medda was far from a spud but he was selfish, Mick has turned that around so thats what i will pump Mick up with.

oh dear, Campo was terrible, Allan couldnt even get out there and Murphy left his skills back at Optus Oval. All 3 were useless when crossing over to Essendon.
No one is saying you have to be a brownlow medallist to do their job but they did absolutely nothing when going to Essendon.
You're right. Clearly you know more about how those players performed at Essendon than I do. I saw every single game they played for the Dons, you would've seen about 5. How can we question your knowledge? :rolleyes:

And I can't see why you spend so much time discussing Collingwood considering your statement?
Why not discuss a club which is behind the eight ball and can't win a flag like St Kilda, Western Dogs or North.

Mate, North have won TWO flags since Collingwood won their last in 1990. That's 18 years ago. Collingwood have won one flag in 50 YEARS. North have won 4 in that time, St. Kilda have the same record, and the Bulldogs have one in 55 years.

I'll admit, I was disappointed after waiting through nearly two rounds worth of slow draft pick selections only to hear us read out Brown's name. I've never been a fan of Brown and his history of form in the AFL is no secret.

However, at that stage of the draft there were obviously no better options. Any of the younger players will be available in the rookie draft and with four selections up our sleeve I imagine we have a few in the mix; including a project KPD. I was surprised we passed on Lisle, but our recruiting staff - who has performed admirably over recent years - obviously had their reasons and favoured Blight and Rounds.

Brown was selected purely as an insurance policy, not as a solution. His addition will give us some depth (admittedly of questionable quality) and will buy us some time while we further develop some of our key position stocks. Hopefully, an improved injury run will see Brown spending a majority of his time at VFL level unless his form warrants senior selection.

As far as Malthouse's record goes, I think most Collingwood fans are expecting a changing of the guard within the near future -- depending on results of course. However, we all appreciate the part Malthouse has played whilst being at the club and I'm happy to have him at the helm for the next season or two.

Where recycled players are concerned, I'd say our strike rate is better than most. Clement and Wakelin were excellent additions who were rated highly by all during their time at the club. Holland was more than serviceable for a period but declined rapidly over the last few seasons; hence the reason he is no longer on the list. The success of getting Medhurst should continue paying dividends for a while yet.

Andrew Williams and Chad Morrison were two obvious failures and you'll find no Collingwood supporter who would say otherwise. Much like the draft though, there's no exact science to trading or drafting recycled players. For every success story there's one that backfires, I personally think we've had more success than failures in recent times and our latest efforts in this regard came at little to no cost.

Recycled players only become a problem if the club targets them at the expense of youth, something which Collingwood hasn't resorted to. We've continued to build our list and blood more youngsters than most whilst still playing finals.

At best Brown gets a game...:eek:

And LOL re: your comments on Hurley - From most reports he will be an AA defender for many years. What planet are you on?

This guy reads the play magnificently, kicks with both feet 55m+ and has an appetite for the contest. He is nothing like Bradley (who was played out of position mind you)

Considering that this is Fletch's last season, its a very wise decision

Some of the stuff that I hear from Essendon supporters on this board is a disgrace. This year they were blaming their poor form oon the injuries of Hislop and Hocking. Now they are claiming that some 17 year old kid is 'likely' to be all australian for years to come. Before he has played a game.

Hurley is pick 5 and taken before many midfielders that are probably better prospects. Sidebottom, Rich, Yarran etc. The reason why they have taken Hurley is because he is what they need. So the pressure is on the EFC to get this right.

Contrary, Brown is a low risk with pick 73. He could be good but at worst is insurance if Presti or Brown go down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse - The Recycle King?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back