Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok mate thanks for a very reasonable response. Firstly, I don’t know enough about a couple of those players you have named. I was at last years GF and have to admit it’s harder to hate the Pies these days haha. You should be proud.

That said, with 10 or more first term players 30+ next year (many quite well into 30’s) man the cliff is coming fast. Don’t you agree? Not sure Pies will be a top 6 team next year with so many older players surely dropping off at some point (Pendles, S/bottom, Mikocek, Howe, Elliott etc). Also, conscious Pies are NOW good at extracting value in many trades (Hill, Lipinski) but not all (Schultz seems an underwhelming trade to me?)

In summary, rate Keane and don’t want to lose him. He is under contract and I have genuinely already texted old mate Justin Reid (Crows List Mgr) imploring him to NOT let Keane go for less than F1
Please text Reid and tell him not to trade pick 4 for lukosius.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

& other clubs in Victoria only strengthens our position here

I want to keep him more than most, absolutely . But I am also a pragmatist.
If things get crazy and we are offered well overs take it and use it this year.
Put it down as a recruiting coup, one to make up for some of the sins of the past

I want to keep him more than most, absolutely . But I am also a pragmatist.
If things get crazy and we are offered well overs take it and use it this year.
Put it down as a recruiting coup, one to make up for some of the sins of the past
Don’t have him in my must keep list

My biggest concern about trading Mark Keane is not his errors as a defender and not his perceived value on the trade table. My concern is the proven fragility of Jordan Butts. Maybe someone could check his stats but without checking, a reliable defender better than Borlase might be the difference between contending and bombing out prematurely.

If, hypothetically, we had the opportunity to trade in mark Keane for no picks and just money, we'd do it in a heartbeat. So why are we not as enthusiastic to keep him. Costs only cap space. Nothing more.

P.s...the way Nick Murray throws himself around suggests he's always an injury risk as well.

that is if Keane either wants to stay and play as a backup to either butts, murray and worrell
Keane has played every game this year.

But in a world where all four are fit, Keane is good enough to possibly force his way into the team, particularly with more experience.

They're all slightly different which is a positive. In the above perfect world, the call could come down to oppo that particular week. No one is the backup to any others. All four are our defence and are played when required, not every week just because.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keane has played every game this year.

But in a world where all four are fit, Keane is good enough to possibly force his way into the team, particularly with more experience.

They're all slightly different which is a positive. In the above perfect world, the call could come down to oppo that particular week. No one is the backup to any others. All four are our defence and are played when required, not every week just because.
The odds are 1 of the 4 will be injured or we could utilise up forward if we have forwards injured.

We shouldn't be looking to trade out Keane unless we are bringing in an experienced replacement.

Burgess should be delisted.
Borlase better as depth.

The odds are 1 of the 4 will be injured or we could utilise up forward if we have forwards injured.

We shouldn't be looking to trade out Keane unless we are bringing in an experienced replacement.

Burgess should be delisted.
Borlase better as depth.

This would be good for us. However how long do the guys who are in and out put up with that? Both Keane and Butts (who are probably the ones who get rotated) are good enough to be permanent best 22 at several clubs. If I’m in that situation I’d be leaving.

Adelaide has also offered key defender Mark Keane a significant long-term contract amid rival interest from not only Collingwood, but other Victorian clubs.

The Irishman signed a two-year contract extension in the week he made his first appearance for the Crows in the round 20 Showdown win over Port Adelaide.

Keane has clearly risen in value since then, playing 25 of 26 games to prove he can play regular senior football in a defensive key post.

The Crows' new offer might not be enough to prevent Keane from requesting a trade in October, but they haven't just let the situation ride, given the former Pie's form has exceeded the rookie contract he is playing on in 2024. – Josh Gabelich

The concern is have we left it too late? If he’s got a decent offer from Collingwood awhile back he may have already made up his mind to go
If we have tried to pinch him with a previous offer for unders I can only hope we have tried to re-tuck him with
an offer which reflects his true worth.

The concern is have we left it too late? If he’s got a decent offer from Collingwood awhile back he may have already made up his mind to go
He cam re-sign with us & increase his salary next season or leave at the end of next season after earning less...

He cam re-sign with us & increase his salary next season or leave at the end of next season after earning less...
actually good point. IF we hold him to his current 2 year rookie contract (2024/2025) he might be making perhaps (total guess) 300k ish inc game fees in both 2024 and 2025.

IF he re-signs with us, allowing us to restructure contract, then he would be earning a much higher figure next year - anywhere from 200-400k more (as we have debated previously). So only staying with the Crows guarantees that extra 200-400k in 2025 and I believe we need to play hard ball and advise we arent trading him unless we get a significant trade bounty from Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Mark Keane - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back